Translate

Monday, January 29, 2024

Cleaning and Eating

The fourth week of January saw me as a true domestic. As I mentioned in a previous post, I plan on physically touching every single item in this house and either putting them somewhere that makes logical sense, giving them away, recycling, or trashing said item (only if it is totally useless, like a bottle of dried India ink I found in my art supply stash). 
Unfortunately this takes a lot of time and requires me to be in the blooming house instead of going other places and having fun. My joys for the week mostly reflect things in/from being at home.
This past week I mostly dedicated to the laundry room, which has become a catch all for everything no one knows where to put. The only way I can face it is to do it sections at a time. I have said before the room is very large with various areas used for either storage or different activities. I have completed about 3/4 of the room and found things I did not even remember I had.
I also think I will start a separate weekly post listing what I found lurking in cabinets, closets, cubbyholes, and any other random place that I either did not know I had or that I decided was just taking up real estate and I was never going to use again, and what I did with them. 
There are a couple of exclusions to things I will likely never use, but they are strictly sentimental items (a few) and I can't say goodbye to them yet because they bring back happy memories of the people they once belonged to.
So instead of having a rocking good week, I became little more than a house servant, and I feel that title will be mine this week too.




Monday: Lots of cleaning in the kitchen and laundry room.*
Dinner: The biggest joy of the day was the fact that I had spent a good deal of the very cold week doing a lot of food prep. After a day stuck in the laundry room and kitchen cabinets, dinner was just a heat and eat meal.
Chili, coleslaw

Tuesday: I spent most of the day in the laundry room, both doing laundry and sorting through a gozillion things that have been stashed in there waiting for someone to start organizing them (It seems like the only person who lives here and sees the need for getting things in order is me) 
Dinner: Meatloaf Mashed Potatoes, Collards

Wednesday: I was still in the laundry room. This time most of the cleaning/sorting was done in a large metal cabinet and the bookshelves. When I say I am touching everything I mean literally touching every single thing, which means all notebooks and binders, looking through every page to see what is a keeper and what is a tosser. There were a couple of joys Wednesday. First Sluggy called, and I talked to her while going through the cabinet. Laughing helps the workload. The second joy was finding things I had  forgotten I had. (like the chalkboard stickers that were actually on my shopping list because I needed some or a notebook full of short stories I had written years ago)
Another thing I realized while talking with Sluggy is that I have enough note cards to write a note to every single person I have ever spoken to in my life.  OK that might be a slight exaggeration, but I will never have to buy another box of cards again. Some of them went into the Exchange Club pickup box, but most of them are personalized and will be going nowhere until I use them. 
Dinner: TheHub called right before he was to go to a dinner meeting for work to let me know it was cancelled. Like that would make any difference to my dinner plans, which would be to scrounge the fridge for whatever was leftover. He opted to be a part of the scrounge plan and luckily there was enough for 2.
Leftover turkey vegetable soup

Thursday: Finally I had a day out of the house with My Beloved Sister when went to Independence Place. Volunteering there always makes my day better, and they seemed to enjoy making and eating individual pizzas. I had a couple of errand to run then settled into the remaining day reading.
Dinner: When I am gone most of the day, dinner is always something simple.
Conecuh sausage, sautéed cabbage

Friday: What can I say? The day was gloomy, I stayed at home, and cleaned until it was time to get ready for the evening.
Dinner: We planned on going out to eat and wound up at Mikey's, which is a wonderful restaurant with fabulous food and casual dress. It fit all three of my qualifications for the night!
Grouper Oscar, asparagus, salad (me) macadamia crusted snapper, salad (TheHub)

Saturday: We had a break from the rain, but there was still a slight drizzle with rare sun breaks. THeHub had some work he had to do for a non-profit he is involved with, so I did a little more sorting in the laundry room while actually doing laundry. We were both home all day (well TheHub did have to make one recreational shopping trip) and ended the night watching the Alabama/LSU basketball game.
Dinner: The break in the rain and warmer temperatures was a great night to fire up the grill.
Steak, potatoes (TheHub) , asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, tossed salad

Sunday: We woke to cooler (colder) temperatures WTH! I have only one dress that is truly warm and told the folks in my Sunday School class if it continued to be cold they would see me in that every week. After church we hurried home, ate a quick bite, and changed clothes before going to see a play. 
We have had  tickets to our Broadway touring season for years and have kept the same seats. The good thing is that they are excellent seats. The bad thing is that they are right under a vent which blows cool (cold) air on us. Normally I do not like to be bothered with a coat , but the day was raw, cold and windy, I decided to take a wool shawl anyway. I was so thankful I did because I could tuck it over my shoulders and wrap up in it while the cold air was blowing on me.
If any of you have an opportunity to see an Equity tour of Aladin, I cannot recommend it enough. It was a feast for the eyes and ears. I was not really happy it was on the schedule for this year, and went in it expecting something much less. I was wrong because it was spectacular. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and go!
Dinner: After the play we met DIL2 and Son2 for dinner at The Pita Stop. We love seeing them any time, but especially after going to the theater. They also have tickets for the same day and time as ours, so we can compare notes while eating. 
Chef's salad, sauteed mushrooms and whatever they ate

Possible meals for this week:
1. Chicken divan, coleslaw
2. Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
3. Tom kha gai soup 
4. Grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup
5. Big salad meal
6. Out to eat (We have events this weekend with meals included)
7. Out to eat

Update- Books read in January
Demon Copperhead
Paper Names
Symphony of Secrets 
Mardi Gras Murder (Because it's Mardi Gras time)
5 O'Clock Band        (Ditto)


So that is a wrap for the joys and foods this week. Eat well and look for your joys. They are always out there no matter how small.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne




* Once TheHub comes home, I call it a day with whatever project I am working on and we spend the evening together, talking or watching something.

33 comments:

  1. I think it would be fun to read what you've found and what you did with it. I know I have found things that I don't even know what they are in my quest to clean everything out.
    Sounds like you had a lot of joys and some good food. I hope this is a great week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There would be a lot of joy for me in having some of that cleaning done. I suspect the house and I would feel lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is feeling lighter. Can't say the same about me though.

      Delete
  3. We took my son to see Aladdin last year. I was not looking forward to it because I figured it would be cartoony. Boy was I wrong. It was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me that I need to do SOME cleaning and organizing around the house too. You had some good eats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly hate housework but this excess just has to go.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of hearing about what you found. It's amazing what we keep thinking maybe we will use it or it has some sentimental value. I've got a lot of my stuff boxed up in the garage waiting to be moved out to my daughter's new home. We haven't bought yet but I expect that move will happen by late spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few things from both of my grandmothers that are rarely (if ever) used but I will not part with them and it is strictly sentimental.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately, I don't have a Sluggy in my life -- so I usually resort to an Audible book when having to perform mindless tasks. Conecuh sausage is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often I take my Ipad wherever I am cleaning and listen to some movie that does not require actual watching

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a very productive week. I so need to do some decluttering, but the thought of going through everything is too daunting. Looking forward to reading about your treasures.
    Your meals sound good too. What is Tom kha gai soup? Do you have a recipe to share? Thank you so very kindly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom kha gai is sort of a combo coconut and curry soup. I will post it once I make it along with the recipe.

      Delete
  8. I admire your dedication to touch every single thing in your house! I can't even imagine how long this endeavor might take you, but speaking only for myself, you won't catch me tackling such a project unless I have to move. Wishing you luck and yes, I'd be fascinated to read about what you find and the items' final destinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far it is February and the only rooms that have been touched, cleared and moved past are the dining room and the living room. They each had a few things that needed to be moved to a proper place and only a couple of things from each room to be donated.

      Delete
  9. We too are on a touch everything decluttering mission. While it would be great to do the entire house that way, I don't think I have it in me to do the entire house without some breaks. But I will cheer you on as you continue your mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a fun task. That's why I am giving myself a year to get it done.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you are making good progress with the laundry room! Some tasty sounding meals, too. I am on a mission to tidy up my kitchen! Like you, I'm touching everything because I am removing everything from each cabinet to wash the shelves (and doors, etc.) It's very slow going, especially as I seem to have done something to my right hand (carpel tunnel raising its ugly head again, I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Decluttering is so therapeutic, I hope you enjoy the results even if the process is awful.
    I decluttered a single kitchen cupboard last week and I swoon every time I open the door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The process sucks but after cleaning out the sewing section, the laundry room will be finished!

      Delete
  12. I love finding things I forgot that I had. We are decluttering again and getting items together for the next consignment sale. You'd figure there wouldn't be anything left, but I have a small bin with several items in it already and now we have Dad's stash to consider. I am looking forward to reading about your journey to touch everything in your home this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find things here that do not belong to Tommy. He had a female boarder who left lots of things I can declutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rid of someone's stuff who does not live there would be pretty easy for me to do.

      Delete
    2. I found a colander and a mixing bowl when he said he owned neither. The colander is red and the bowl is an antique, so they get to stay. Other stuff, not so much.

      Delete
  14. I'm not going to say that I'm a hoarder. But I will say that I hate to throw things out if they're perfectly useful. I always think that I'll find a way to give them or sell them to someone who wants them, but what I really do is stash them in boxes in the basement and garage. Two years ago, we rented a dumpster because of some remodeling that we were doing, and I don't know what magic power that dumpsters have, but it unleashed a purge in me that I didn't think was possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if I have kept things I don't even remember having then I am keeping way too much.

      Delete
  15. I love decluttering! And I love grilled cheese and tomato soup. Sounds good for tonight. Have a cozy evening, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did eat the grilled cheese and tomato soup last night and it was really good.

      Delete
  16. It feels so great when stuff leaves the house (I'm going to the charity shop tomorrow) but it's overwhelming at times too isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The overwhelming part is getting in there and starting.

      Delete
  17. I've got a goal of getting 500 items out of the house in 2024, so I can relate! I've made good progress, but I also feel like it's a constant battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too. I am just surrounded by stuff I no longer need, but I have kept holding on to it until now.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.