Translate

Monday, September 9, 2024

Food, Joy, and Meaningful stuff

What a glorious week. The temperatures were not stifling and I was able to sit on the screened porch drinking my morning coffee and listening to the birds. It was perfect!


What was planned
1. Leftovers
2. BBQ chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, watermelon
3. Chopped smoked pork, coleslaw, mashed potatoes
4. Shrimp and Grits, coleslaw (I still have not used the grits nor have I bought the shrimp)
5. Paprika chicken, tossed salad
6. Salad meal TBD
7. Out to eat or sandwiches 

How did that work out:
Monday joy: TheHub stayed home from the office. (I guess even though he retired and is still working he honors traditional holidays__go figure!) 
Our weekend was different than normal, and I did not even realize the actual day of the week was Monday until much later.
I guess it was because he went to the office Sunday, which he only used to do after we came home from church. We did not go Sunday because we had guests and I was totally thrown off of my traditional weekly set point. 
After our morning coffee and tea we sat at the kitchen table with both of our calendars, looking at events we had planned along with some things we thought we might enjoy doing. I could not believe how quickly the rest of the year filled with possibilities.
Monday dinner: I did realize at some point it was Labor Day, probably when TheHub asked what we were having for a Labor Day dinner?!?
One of the biggest joys of the day was every BBQ joint in town was open and operating at full steam. We bought 2 options and brought them home because we still had tons of side dish leftovers.
Smoked Chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, watermelon

Tuesday joy: I slept late (at least late for me) and had a delightful morning filled with coffee and some phone calls I needed to make. Those phone calls resulted in a few tickets to events we had decided sounded like something we would enjoy. So there was some movement from our Monday calendar comparing. I do still have to make a few calls tomorrow since I could not get anyone in person today. 
One place in particular requires I talk with a live person. In July we attended a fund raiser and bought, through a silent auction, season tickets to a community theater. Their next show will be at the end of the month and I need to find how to use the certificate in lieu of a credit card to get those tickets.
After the calls My Beloved Sister came by on her way home from an appointment. We sat around drinking coffee and laughing___a lot of laughing, mostly at ourselves.
Tuesday dinner: Well it was just day two of the menu plan and I was already ignoring it. I had bought some egg rolls from Aldi  just in case I needed some additional food when the guests were here. I completely forgot about them when planning this weeks menu but found them in the fridge when I was looking for leftovers. BTW, they are tasty, and cooked perfectly  in the air fryer___bonus!!
Eggrolls, tossed salad, watermelon

Wednesday joy: Started my day with coffee, followed by a phone call with My Beloved Sister. Once again we talked about nothing important, unless you consider talking about the new weekly food ads important. However; when we talk you can be sure there will be laughter.
I talked with Sluggy who was still in the hospital. She was not in the greatest of spirits, but geeze, she was in the hospital with pain and bad hospital food. That is not exactly a great combination for making spirits high, is it?
Nonetheless, I was glad I talked with her and extremely happy they had ruled out neurosurgery as a treatment.
After talking with Sluggy, I called Sissy  and Kim to give them an update. It is always good to talk with them also!
Wednesday dinner: When we picked up smoked chicken for Labor Day, TheHub also bought a pound of smoked pork.
Smoked pork, mashed potatoes, coleslaw

Thursday joy: I planned on hitting the trail early in the day. Though I did not really need much at all from the grocery store, there were things in all three of the stores where I normally shop that had deals well worth stocking up on. So I set out to cherry pick all three of them. One of the day's joys was the huge insulated bag TheHub won at some charity golf tournament. I keep those blue "ice blocks" in the freezer all the time. If I am hop shopping I grab a few of them and toss them in the bottom of the bag. That way I can buy cold things at each store and not worry about them losing their cool while I am making the rounds.
I actually could cool the car refrigerator we bought for the cross country trip that didn't happen, load it in the back of the car plugged into the 12 volt socket and use it. I think I would only do that if TheHub was around. It would take both of us to load it into and out of the car. It is not the weight, but it is a little bulky.
Later in the afternoon, I was able to have a long talk with one of my cousins. Her mom, my dad's younger sister, is the only living sibling of either of my parents.  
She is not doing well and I just needed to talk with K to see how things are progressing. I wish I had called at a happier time but always enjoy talking with her, even though we do it rarely.
Thursday dinner: You would think with all that grocery shopping I would have no excuses about cooking dinner.  After all, we had plenty of available options to choose from.  
I did have a slight headache and when I mentioned it to TheHub, he suggested we go pick up something to eat. 
If I am being completely honest, he is still walking on eggshells after messing up our trip. I am not stupid enough to not take advantage of it.
Grilled chicken salad

Friday joy: This morning right as I was getting dressed for the day, the phone rang. I was surprised the caller was TheHub, and even more surprised when he said he was coming home early and wanted to go out to lunch.
We had talked about trying places we have never been before and intended to try a place in Bessemer. Sadly it closed at 2 and TheHub did not get home until a little after 1. By the time we took the 20 minute drive to get there, they would be ready to start shutting down and I did not want to be in a hurry. 
Instead we went to Melt. I had been to their food truck years ago but they have opened a brick and mortar place with different offerings. 
Once we got there we had to park in front of another store I did not realize had opened. It is a store with items strictly from Alabama, so of course we had to go wander around.
Did I need anything there? Nope! Did I buy some things anyway? Yes, of course I did. I found a beautiful cookbook with recipes from restaurants around the state, a local magazine celebrating Octoberfest, and a pottery piece made to serve olive oil for bread dipping. I liked it because it had the garlic grater built into the bottom of the dish. Some oil and fresh herbs along with the garlic will be a great dinner treat.
After browsing buying we walked a few doors down to eat lunch. then after lunch we walked next door to order my birthday cake. I was hoping they could make a 6 inch cake that would be more than enough for us, but an 8 inch is the smallest Italian Cream cake they sell.
We will wind up having a piece or two then giving the rest to our neighbors.I hope this is a taste of what retirement will be like when TheHub realizes he has been retired since June, and does not have to continue to go into the office every day (if at all).
Friday dinner: We had eaten lunch later and neither of us were really hungry. I was going to just throw a tossed salad together when I remembered we had leftovers. Easy peazy!
Leftover Mexican corn dip, tortilla chips, watermelon

Saturday joy: Game Day! When we woke we turned on the TV and listen mostly to Marty and McGee, then switch back and forth between ESPN Game Day and SEC Nation (still mostly listening as we go about our morning). I freely admit we do like college football, and keep up with the goings on of a lot of different schools thanks to the above shows.
Once we were dressed for the day we did our morning errands, which included finally getting so fresh shrimp from Snapper Grabber (my local fish monger).  
After a lunch at home, TheHub and Son2 left to go to the game, while I sat in the recliner and watched South Carolina/Kentucky play. Well I watched until I was completely relaxed and then I visited The Eyelid Theater* for about 30 minutes.
My biggest joy was DIL2 joining me to watch the game. She is wonderful company and we can just talk until the game gets interesting. This particular game took about 3 1/4 quarters to get interesting. (Meaning until we could quit worrying about losing)
Saturday dinner: TheHub and I cut our sandwiches in half Friday at lunch and saved the cut halves because the sandwiches were larger than we would eat at one meal. DIL2 and I split them.
1/4 reuben sandwich, 1/4 raging Hawaiian sandwich, spicy chili Doritos

Sunday joy: What we started our day with was not joyful but it was important. Our Sunday School class had a guest speaker whose mission is helping children who had been victims of sex trafficking. My lack of understanding always thought it meant kids who were kidnapped by a pimp and forced into the sex trade. I had no idea parents could/would ever pimp their kids out for drugs, rent or whatever. I do not cry easily nor do I cry in public, but sometimes things change. Now with raised awareness, I need to put my money and/or time where my mouth is. 
Saturday night TheHub and Son2 got home from the game after midnight. Since both Son2 and DIL2 had driven here separately, they left DIL2's car overnight. They came back Sunday afternoon to pick it up and visited with us for a couple of hours. 
Sunday dinner: We finally ate something that had been on my dinner menu for several weeks.
Shrimp and grits, coleslaw, dinner rolls

Possible menu for this week:
1. Paprika Chicken, tossed salad
2. Big salad meal TBD
3. Spaghetti, tossed salad
4. Veggie meal TBD
5. Out to eat
6. Burgers and fixings, tomato cucumber onion salad
7. Chicken** bulgogi, rice, mixed greens

Books read in September
When Paris Went Dark

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with. no plan at all.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
 

*Thanks to DIL2 for giving me a new name for a catnap
** I have some chicken in the freezer that needs to be used, so I am taking liberties with a traditional Korean recipe
 


40 comments:

  1. I noticed you were ordering a birthday cake, so happy birthday! Early, belated, or right on time. LOL Your dinners sounds delicious. And the BBQ on Labor Day sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday is not until Sunday. Because we were literally next door to the bakery it just made sense to go ahead and order it. TheHub was a little upset I was with him when it was ordered, but we have celebrated tons of birthdays together and I know the cake fairy does not appear at my house bringing magical cake.

      Delete
  2. Morning coffee and talks with your sister. Sounds perfect, my friend. Paprika Chicken sounds yummy. Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have a good week, but I already know you will!

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here reading this and thinking about how busy you have been. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week was not busy, but I had enough to do to make it fun.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for a week that sounds packed with joys. Not least that hubby doesn't feel the need to go to work every day. Or for all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week was a nice week. Enough to do without having too much.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday wishes! Sounds like a yummy cake and a week filled with tasty foods.
    And chicken bulgogi sounds good, and I would be ever so grateful if you would share the recipe. Please and thank you. :D
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 small boneless skinless chicken thighs
      1 1/2 T. gochujang
      Sprinkle of red chili flakes (optional)
      1 teaspoon soy sauce
      2 tbsp brown sugar
      1 clove minced garlic
      1 tsp ginger paste
      1 tbsp mirim (optional)
      1 tsp sesame seed oil
      Black pepper to taste
      Salt to taste I don't use additional salt because soy sauce is so salty
      sliced green onions and sesame seed for garnish

      Pound the thighs as thin as you can get them. Mix everything else except garnish in a medium bowl. Put the chicken in the bowl and let it sit for 15 or so minutes.
      Broil on a rack set on a cookie sheet. I put a piece of parchment paper on the sheet first to make cleanup easier. Cook about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness, turn the chicken and cook until done 3 ore so minutes.
      Sprinkle with sesame seed and green onions.,



      Delete
    2. Yum! Sounds delicious! Thanks so much.
      I love the flavor of gochujang, but it takes me a while to use the tub so I'm always looking for new recipes.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday!! Your week sounded like a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eyelid Theater .. I love it! That olive oil pottery piece sounds like something we need (not) ... but want. (Must Google!). Happy Birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure who made the piece, but it was someone in South Alabama. I did not need it either, but could not imagine leaving the store without it.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday!
    Sounds like you had a lovely week. So glad that you were able to do a few things with your husband who didn't need to work all week.
    The meals you've had and have planned all sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a nice week. The non working was short lived, but things should be changing soon. Maybe.

      Delete
  9. I like that description, in fact I did just that this afternoon for about 20 minutes or so. Not sure why I was so tired, but I felt refreshed when I woke up.
    You always eat so much better than we do. Neither my imagination nor my skills are as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like to fall sound asleep during the day, but an occasional catnap is great.
      I am a pretty decent cook when I want to be, but we can have some dismal meals also.

      Delete
  10. I love visiting the Eyelid Theater. Wish I could go there more often. And Happy
    Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A like a quick snooze every now and then, but it has to be done in a chair or on the couch and not for more than a few minutes. If I fall asleep for longer than 20 I wake feeling groggy.
      The birthday is Sunday, but cakes sell out at this particular bakery ( well the Italian Cream cakes do) and for my birthday cake I am leaving nothing to chance.,

      Delete
  11. Roll Tide! Whew! We pulled off a win!Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday, Anne. You week had lot's of take out and eating out. My husband would have been happy with your week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes. They are early, we just ordered the cake for the upcoming Saturday.

      Delete
  13. Eyelid theater--good one I will adopt. It sounds like a good week. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the update on Sluggy (even if she's still not doing well). Poor thing! But what a lovely week you had. I guess you're both still getting used to this "both being home together" business aren't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not really getting used to being around each other since he is still going into the office everyday, most days until 6. I give up!

      Delete
  15. How wonderful to have some nice weather and much-needed coffee in the morning..a lot of laughing is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing is critical for me, fortunately I do enough boneheaded things to share with my sister and we can both laugh about them.

      Delete
  16. Happy early birthday! Is Hubby being paid to continue working? He isn't just going in for free I hope! I am glad this week was another lovely one for you, I am sure your cousin appreciates that you called to check in even though it was at a tough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the early wishes. TheHub is working with a contract for services.

      Delete
  17. In another 6 months the office might be long forgotten as hubby relaxes into the retired life.
    You describe lots of joys, what a lovely rich life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very nice life, that was not without trials, especially in those early days.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should have said you've built a lovely life. Not for a second did I think it came without effort or hard times

      Delete
    3. No, no, no! When I read your comment I started thinking about our life now and remembering the difficult years. During that time I could not even imagine a life like we have now. My comment was just a result of my reflections.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you had a good week Anne! Nice to be busy, and catch up with people.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is wonderful to catch up with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you enjoyed.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.