Translate

Monday, September 23, 2024

Joy and Restaurants

This past week was an interesting week. TheHub stayed at home more often than going into the office, but there are some work patterns that he can't seem to shake. He has been going out for lunch nearly every day of his work life. Now with retirement, he still wants to go out every day. It does not seem to matter to him whether it is for lunch or dinner, but right now there is some internal need to go somewhere each day.
This has not been my m.o. throughout our life together. There are days when I never leave the confines of our house and yard, and those days suit me just fine. I do not like to be doing heavy chores than have to stop, shower and get properly dressed just to eat a meal. I had rather stay at home, cook, then get cleaned up after dinner to settle in for a night of reading or a movie.
If you read any further in this post, you will notice a recurring theme of restaurants and take outs. We must find a happy medium.




What was planned
1. Paprika chicken, broccoli, rice, tomato cucumber onion salad 
2. Conecuh sausage pigs in a blanket, coleslaw
3. Grilled fish, hushpuppies, coleslaw
4. Big salad meal TBD
5. Fundraiser banquet
6. Sandwiches, tomato cucumber onion salad
7. Veggie meal TBD

               vs.

What we really ate:
Monday joy:  I slept late, but only got 4 hours sleep because I got lost going down rabbit holes on the stupid computer and didn't go to sleep until about 4 a.m. The sad thing is that I have absolutely no one to blame but myself.  
The Hub did not go into the office, and rode with me to Independence Place. I had a bunch of birthday cards for several of the Monday participants and wanted to make sure they got them. I love seeing them even if it is just a brief visit.
While we were out, TheHub suggested we go out to eat lunch. (Eating lunches out is going to be a very hard habit for him to break.). At least we did manage to go somewhere I have never been before. Actually, I did not even know it existed, so I marked a new to me place off my list, even though it was never on the list to begin with.
Monday dinner: I had taken some sausage out of the freezer to thaw in anticipation of this easy meal.
Conecuh sausage pigs in a blanket with maple bacon jam and brown mustard, coleslaw

Tuesday joy: Tuesday was joyful only if you call scrubbing the primary bathroom shower stall until it sparkles, joyful. There is a certain joy once it is finished I suppose. Other than that it was just a routine day with laundry, chores and chocolate covered almonds.
Tuesday dinner: TheHub had to go to the office and stopped at Publix to pick up a rotisserie chicken because it was what sounded good to him for dinner and I had not cooked dinner by 4, when he was hungry.
Rotisserie chicken, potato salad, tomto slices

Wednesday joy: I was able to go to my happy place with My Beloved Sister. The cooking lesson this time was very simple since it is their biggest attendance day, and it is hard to keep that many different attention spans engaged. They made Muddy Buddies and we added a few extra things to the finished product so each and every participant could have a part making it.
Once I got home, TheHub wanted to run to Duluth Trading. I did all shopping for the kids clothes when they were young, and for myself since I was 16 and could drive. Now it seems I have to add shopping for him/with him to my list of things I need to do. I hate shopping as much as he enjoys it.  Another retirement thing I am going to have to get used to!
Wednesday dinner: After we shopped, I suppose my reward for going with him was a meal at a local meat and three.
Pork chop, turnip greens, okra and whatever TheHub ate

Thursday joy: We drove to Westpoint Mississippi for a fundraiser. TheHub's brother and 2 nephews work for a company that hosts an annual charity event to raise money for St.Jude's, and 2 other smaller non-profits.
We stayed in a cottage overlooking the lake at the very beautiful Old Waverly Golf Club. The place was the epitome of  lovely Southern lodgings. It had comfortable chairs for easy conversations in the shared common area, 4 en suite bedrooms, a porch overlooking the lake, and two ceiling fans on the Haint blue ceiling. It was the perfect. 
There was a golf tournament that we did not participate in, but did go to the evening event (along with about 800 other folks) which had live music, a meal, silent auction, and live auctions to raise more money. (We heard afterward it was the most successful event they have had in the 10 years since its inception)
Thursday dinner: The huge buffet was filled with just about every wood fired game meat known to man, along with assorted sides (the peach, tomato and thyme salad was incredible). There was too much to choose from so we had just small bits of several things. Even so, there were scads of offerings we had to bypass. Below is what we actually tried.
Lamb, elk, snapper, boar sausage, brussels sprouts watermelon/jalapeƱo salad, peach/tomato/thyme salad, assorted desserts

Friday joy: We drove home from Mississippi, made it to Birmingham, unloaded the car, then promptly went out again. One of our stops was to our local fish monger, then we hit a couple of other places before we came home.
Friday dinner: Nothing I had on hand appealed to TheHub. so once again, during the week, I did not cook at home. Instead we went to Blue Pacific to pick up Thai food. 
Pad Thai Shrimp (TheHub) Yellow chicken curry (me)

Saturday joy: We got up and did a few morning errand rounds after TheHub's work out, then we were home for the day, because after all it was a football day. We both worked on different projects off and on during the games stopping to eat lunch together before really watching the Auburn game.
Saturday dinner: We bought fish Friday to have Saturday night
Broiled pompano, tossed salad, dinner rolls.

Sunday: We went to church then decided to go out to lunch. We had either eaten out or brought food in nearly every day the past week, so why should Sunday be any different?
Once we returned home we changed clothes and started going through the upstairs closets. I plan on going by Goodwill Wednesday afternoon and would like to take as many donated items as I can,
Once we had a black plastic lawn bag overflowing with TheHub's clothes he never wears anymore, I moved into Pip's former room (she has a bigger room now) and started sorting through all the things that were put into it waiting to either be taken to Goodwill or put in their proper place. 
The advantage of having a room at the top of the stairs that is really used for nothing is that it is a great place to stash things temporarily when headed upstairs. The downside is having a room used for nothing that is a great place to stash things because said room becomes a big closet.
I did find a bunch of Hocus Pocus themed items I no longer want. I offered them on our local Buy Nothing Facebook page and had a ton of interest. I decided to let it sit for a couple of days before randomly choosing whoever will get it.
Sunday dinner: While we were out Saturday morning we ran by ThePig. The forecast for Sunday was hot and sunny, which would be a perfect for grilling outside.  We bought something to throw on the grill.
Steak, dill potato salad, sliced tomatoes.

Why even plan since it probably won't happen? 
(We are having houseguest Friday - Sunday.  Menu is for Monday - Thursday only) 
1. Paprika chicken, rice, broccoli, sliced tomatoes
2. Hamburger patty/ w gravy, cauliflower chopped salad, biscuits
3. Big salad meal TBD, 
4. Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, hushpuppies
5. Whatever
6. Whatever
7. Whatever

Books read in September
When Paris Went Dark
Old Girls Behaving Badly
The Wishing Game
The Collected Regrets of Clover

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tasty and fun week!
    I have to admit that I don't think I have ever eaten many of the fish that you get at your fishmonger. Guess that is what happens when you live in the mountains 5+ hours from the ocean. Are elk and boar tasty meats or really gamey? We tried reindeer chili on our Alaskan cruise and really liked it, but I'm not that fond of venison.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner enjoys shopping too. With the exception of books and plants I loathe it.
    I would have loved at least a cuppa out when we did our excursion to Tulip Top Gardens. Guess who thinks the coffee is better at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful week, although I'd have picked the chocolate covered almonds as my joy on Tuesday, as opposed to scrubbing the shower. :D
    Your going out for lunch or dinner reminded me of my sister and her husband; they used to go out to lunch, practically daily. The other day, when I was talking to her, she mentioned that they've now cut it back to going out every other day because eating out has become more expensive. They can well afford it, but, I guess she felt the need to economize a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.