Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

More Joy and Food

No introductions, I am just letting the week speak for itself.
However; I did not really use the computer much on Labor Day and forgot to post this. Life gets in my way all the time!


What was planned:
Shrimp and grits, coleslaw
Chicken piccata,  pasta, broccoli
Stuffed baked potato, tossed salad
Burgers, butterbean and corn salad
Ball game dinner (I will be here alone so popcorn maybe?)
Big Salad meal
Grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, coleslaw


Joy and Food that actually happened:
Monday joy: I did lots of laundry, a little reading and some tv watching. My Beloved Sister turned me on to the Amazon Prime show "Fallout". The show itself is an odd  thing to watch but the music they use is phenomenal. When I heard Nat King Cole singing "Orange Colored Sky" in the opening, I knew I was in for the entire series. Additionally I do love watching anything with Walton Goggins
Monday dinner: It needed to be something quick because once I watched a couple of episodes of "Fallout" I forgot to take anything out of the freezer. 
Stuffed baked potato, tossed salad

Tuesday joy: Somedays a joy is not realized until a dreaded chore is over and done, and then the joy is that it's over. Take for instance, my now sparkling clean laundry room refrigerator. Perhaps this week I can become overjoyed by a newly defrosted deep freezer.  Probably not, but maybe. I could have already defrosted it while I was working on the laundry room fridge, espeially since both appliances are right next to each other, but a couple of episodes of "Fallout" were screaming at me. Freezer/Fallout? Fallout won!
Tuesday dinner: I found a very simple recipe here for a dish TheHub had been talking about for weeks. I had given up on my "spite" cooking and decided to give it a try. It was delicious, but much richer than what we usually have for dinner. This might become a twice a year recipe, but will not become a rotation recipe.
Chicken piccata over penne pasta, broccoli

Wednesday joy: I needed a few supplies and began my morning at Michael's. I am like a kid in a candy store when I am there. I would say I only bought what I specifically  planned on buying and for the most part it was true, until I saw one particular item. Then I realized my life would not be complete unless I owned a slightly smaller than normal sized  head (vase?) of Edgar Allen Poe. With EAP firmly strapped in with the backseat seatbelt, I continued on with my shopping day.
And because I could not control myself I stayed up until 4 am just to finish "Fallout".
Wednesday dinner: I did not plan on buying this but somehow or another it jumped into my buggy as I shopped through Aldi. I am blaming the spirit of Edgar!
Sunflower salad, tomato slices, cucumber slices, sourdough toast

Thursday joy: See Wednesday late joy which obviously ran into early Thursday morning. The real downside of this was the few hours of sleep I got before I had to get up and start getting the house company clean. While doing a few chores I found the Fallout soundtrack on Spotify. Listening to it as I worked helped but I was tired, obviously, and procrastination is my go to state for housework.  So instead of finishing all my cleaning, I called Sluggy and talked with her as I kind of worked. (Emphasis on the kind of) 
Though half assed cleaning was not really joyful, laughing with Sluggy* was, so I call that a win.
Thursday dinner: TheHub went to Cracker barrel for lunch and bought one of their 5 buck meals for us to share at suppertime.
Meatloaf, mac and cheese, coleslaw

Friday joy: The first joy was having the house ready for Son3 and his friend who came for the game. 
The second joy: Son3 and DIL3 had been in Sweden a week or so ago and brought me back 2  porcelain coffee cups for my birthday. The area they were made is known for its beautiful ceramic work and these cups are exceptional. This gift will alternate with my funky face mug I got from Son2 and DIL2 to start my mornings in style.
The third joy was being able to spend time with Son3 and friend, H. 
Laughs and more laughs happened from the time they arrived until everyone went to bed.
Friday dinner: We had a minimum purchase that we had to make by August 31. Fortunately we had the option to purchase some tailgate items there, which  combined with some foods I had on hand, became our dinner. Son2 and DIL2 came over to join us, and added to the fun.
Mexican corn dip, meatballs, conecuh sausage biscuits, chicken wings, coleslaw, baked beans and potato salad (There were tons of leftovers)

Saturday joy: Roll Tide Roll! Football season officially began, we had houseguests, shared meals and a lot of laughs. It meant the entire day until they left for the game was joyous.
Saturday dinner: DIL2 came to our house to watch the game with me. We just heated our favorite of the leftovers from Friday night.
Mexican street corn dip, tortilla chips

Sunday joy: After some morning coffee and conversations, TheHub, Son3 and H left to go to a local breakfast joint. I stayed home because I do not eat breakfast. They left directly from the restaurant, and TheHub went into the office for the rest of the day. I was able to get things back in order, do some reading, and have a long conversation with My Beloved Sister. We talk nearly every day and when we have a few days where we don't, we have a lot of catching up to do.
Sunday Dinner: What can I say?
Leftovers

What's Up? (Maybe)
1. Leftovers
2. BBQ chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, watermelon
3. Chopped smoked pork, coleslaw, mashed potatoes
4. Shrimp and Grits, coleslaw (I still have not used the grits nor have I bought the shrimp)
5. Paprika chicken, tossed salad
6. Salad meal TBD
7. Out to eat or sandwiches 

Books read in August
The Skin Collector
Dark Archives
The Rose Code 
The Thirteenth Child
Hillbilly Elegy

I did not read any additional books last week because the show "Fallout" got in the way. 

I hope you all have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne



* Monday I found out that Sluggy is in the hospital with excruciating pain. I knew she was having some serious pain with her leg but did not realize it had gotten to this extreme. Please keep her in your thoughts.


32 comments:

  1. Poor Sluggy. I am sure that your phone calls with her help. Lots. I hope that her pain can be eased. I love reading about your joys. Long may they continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wish is for everyone to be able to find their joys each day.

      Delete
  2. Prayers for her, my friend. Thank you for sharing that news. I enjoyed your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she will appreciate the prayers.
      I enjoyed my week also!

      Delete
  3. Good week with the best kinds of visitors. Prayers for Sluggy. Hope she is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing better would have been if Pip were one of the guests!
      I hope Sluggy is better very soon also.

      Delete
  4. You know I had to Google EAP's bust on Michael's website. That's hysterical ... but does the monkey butler approve?
    Prayers for Sluggy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not introduced Sneaky Jorje (The monkey butler) to him yet, but I think he might even be willing to share the tray he is holding with EAP.

      Delete
  5. I wondered about sluggy since she has not posted in a while. Too bad! Unfortunately, while the company sounds great, I would not be up to any company unless I napped while they were here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO me the only hard part of having houseguests is getting the house in company shape.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like another good week, Anne. What is sunflower salad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bagged salad from Aldi which is essentially a chopped cabbage and kale salad, bacon, sunflower seed and a creamy dressing. We think the dressing is too sweet so I cut it with apple cider vinegar.

      Delete
  7. I found some beautiful music from the Grace and Frankie series and while the programme itself was ok, the musical finds were lovely. Oh and I will be keeping Sluggy in my thoughts. She's been through the wringer hasn't she!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Grace and Frankie. I thought it was entertaining, not great, but you are right about the music.
      Sluggy has had a difficult year, that is for sure.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful week with family and friends visiting!
    I hope your friend Sluggy feels better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love having company, all except for the cleaning up part and the laundry afterward. I am pretty sure I was meant to have someone named Hazel who would call me Missy, and help with all domestic chores. I keep waiting for her to show up at the front door, but so far__no dice.

      Delete
  9. Hooray for football season! Our Canadian football season starts in July. Thought we might have some success with our team as they looked good in the early season. They've now lost 6 games in a row, so my enthusiasm has waned.
    Hope your friend Sluggy gets some relief from the pain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we are just one game in and it was a success, right now things look OK for Bama. But this was one of those cupcake games they were expected to win. Expectations for the rest of the season are up in the air.

      Delete
  10. Prayers for Sluggy. She's had it rough and I hope things turn around for her very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been having troubles and like you, I hope she improves quickly.

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about Sluggy. Michels has been having more home decor that I can't run away from. I painted my bathroom and added several pieces of French country. A Le Vie En Rose canvas and a sign stating "A beautiful thing is never perfect."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the things I want from Michael's are paints, pens, or brushes. I can get lost in that section for a long, long time. However sometimes I cannot resist their kitschy seasonal items. If it makes me laugh when I see it, my credit card is in trouble.

      Delete
  12. Roll Tide!!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, I hope Sluggy is feeling better. Please give her our get well wishes when next you talk.
    I love that Poe bust; do they have a raven to go with it?
    Funny that you watched Fallout. Since I live with two gamers, of course we had to watch it. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. "War. War never changes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did have a raven but I thought it might be overkill.
      I am a big Walton Gpggins fan and like anything he is in.

      Delete
  14. Hope Sluggy gets better soon..good to know about your week..thanks for sharing dear :-)
    Fine Art and You

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending prayers for Sluggy. The chicken piccata sounds good and rich. I'll have to check Amazon Prime for the "Fallout".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken was extremely rich. 2 times a year would be all we would ever want it.

      Delete
  16. Have a happy Monday. Love you friend.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.