Translate

Monday, September 30, 2024

Preparing for the Weekend

The past week was not a particularly thrilling week at least for the first part of the week. We were expecting houseguests for the weekend and I am not very good about keeping the house in company shape.  I had a lot of cleaning that needed to be done. Additionally TheHub had promised me at least one day of his time to help get rid of some of his excess. I had already been through my closet and purged but was not taking it to Goodwill until we had his things gathered also. 

So this was mainly a "gettin' ready for the weekend" kind of week.



Meals that were planned ( and mostly ignored)
1. Paprika chicken, rice, broccoli, sliced tomatoes
2. Hamburger patty/ w gravy, cauliflower chopped salad, biscuits
3. Big salad meal TBD, 
4. Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, hushpuppies
5. Whatever
6. Whatever
7. Whatever


Monday joy: It was not a joyless Monday, but it was a Monday filled with routine housework I could have started cleaning the upstairs rooms getting ready for the weekend guests but why, when procrastination and reading are always options. TheHub did go through his closets (He has 4 closets filled with his clothes (which of us is the clothes horse?)  and we got everything itemized and listed for tax purposes.
Monday dinner: Since I had not done a lot in the house I had time to cook an elaborate meal, but I didn't.
Hamburger patty, mashed potato, gravy, tomato slices, cucumber slices

Tuesday joy:  TheHub called me mid-day when I was once again skillfully avoiding cleaning the upstairs, and wanted to go to trivia. I did not care one way or another, but obviously if I had to be dressed for trivia, there was no way I could start any major projects. (I am so good at rationalization)
Tuesday dinner: Since we were going to trivia at The Electric dinner was part of the evening plans.
Grilled pepper, onion and cheese sandwich, coleslaw

Wednesday joy: I woke pretty early and started reading before it was time to get ready for my class that had started back. Once I was out and dressed anyway, it seemed like a shame to waste a make-up day. I ran a few errands before heading back home.  
Wednesday dinner: TheHub had eaten out with people he is working with (because you are supposed to continue working daily once you retire) and had a big meal. It was fortunate for both of us because I was feeling a little icky during the evening and wanted very little for dinner.
Baked potato

Thursday joy: I finally started cleaning the upstairs. I mean why hurry when you have a little over 24 hours before guests will be arriving. Then I had to do a reversal and get the master bath ready for plumbers. Normal people schedule repairs the day before houseguests are coming right? I had all week to get it done, but  didn't. 
Another really nice joy was talking to Sluggy, who even though she is falling apart (her words, not mine) can still laugh.
Thursday dinner:  TheHub decided nothing sounded good for dinner other than going to Captain D's
Lobster roll (me) or 2 piece fish dinner (him)

Friday joy: Because I still had a couple of hours before they would be in town I saved cleaning the upstairs bathrooms until Friday morning. That way they would be completely shiny, ready for guests.
After they were cleaned we drove to Goodwill to drop off a bunch of clothes, then ran one other quick errand so we would have nothing else to do once they got here.
The biggest joy was seeing Son3, DIL3 and their friends who came here to stay. They were going to to Alabama/Georgia football game and Birmingham is only a 45 minute drive to Tuscaloosa.
Friday dinner: One of the guests who lives in Brooklyn really wanted to eat at a meat and three. They invited us to go with them, but we declined. Instead we ran one quick errand and picked up a regrettable dinner. 
Taco bell regular tacos (2 each)

Saturday joy: Game Day! We woke, had a lovely breakfast with everyone then turned on the TV to start the day filled to the brim with football. We started with ESPN's game day, then watched Kentucky play Old Miss.  Before the game was over, I put out food for a light lunch or heavy snack. Each person made their own decision. 
They left for the game but DIL3 and I stayed here. I love that she feels free to do whatever she wants to do, so she worked a bit, and watched a little football with me until we got tired of it and turned the tv to a lake house renovation show. 
Right as the reno show was over DIL2 came by so we could all watch the Alabama/Georgia game together. It was lovely having them here so we could watch the game and talk at the same time. I do love both of these women and am so lucky to have them in my family.
Bama won (by the skin of their teeth)!
Saturday dinner: DIL3 is battling gastritis and being very careful with her food. I made us a very non-traditional football meal, but it was good and the conversation was even better!
Turkey, rice and broccoli dish, watermelon, grapes, Mexican corn dip for DIL2.

Sunday joy: We enjoyed our guests until about 1 when they left. 
TheHub decided to get a 90 minute massage, and while he was gone Son2 and DIL2 came by.  We had a nice visit mainly talking about the football game. Roll Tide, Roll. After they left we watched a couple of Tv shows before we ate. 
TheHub went to bed and I went down a rabbit hole watching Youtube videos about WW2 British ration recipes. Why?  
I had decided I wanted to watch "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". It just felt like the proper homage to Maggie Smith. The only place I could find it streaming for free, was Youtube. I began the movie but realized it was 11:30 and was too late to start watching a 2 hour film. 
I noticed one of the side videos was how to make a British loaf (the bread made with ww2 rations). All I had to do was watch one and then the rabbit hole opened and I fell down it. (until 2:30 when I finally went to bed realizing I could have watched the entire movie instead and been in bed earlier)
Sunday dinner: We were not really hungry and neither of us wanted to go to any trouble for a meal.
Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup

What we might eat the next 4 days (going to Nashville for the weekend)
1. Meatloaf, mac and cheese, broccoli, watermelon
2. Taco salad
3. Veggie dinner TBD
4. Grilled fish, tossed salad, baked potato
5. whatever
6. whatever
7. whatever

Books read in September
When Paris Went Dark
Old Girls Behaving Badly
The Wishing Game
The Collected Regrets of Clover
Redneck

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

6 comments:

  1. I feel for you, Anne. I have weekend guests coming this weekend too. I have the vacuum dragged out and have been all over the place with it today. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only blame myself for not keeping the house company ready all the time, but I just don't.

      Delete
  2. You know, you could open a Bed and Breakfast if you wanted. You certainly have enough practice with guests. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROLL TIDE! We found out Friday youngest son passed the bar and Saturday night my oldest son ended up in the hospital with what was diagnosed as kidney stones and was in excruciating pain.He has been released .To say it was an eventful weekend is an understatement. I just thought the game was going to give me a heart attack until what happened with my oldest kid! Whew! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes sense to clean just before the guests arrive so that the house is freshly cleaned. :) I'm glad you were able to enjoy having family over. The meal plan looks good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for finally getting the house cleaned - and enjoying your guests. I can always put off housework in favour of reading. I went to a book fair on Friday and bought (shame) thirty books. Which I have already started to devour.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.