Translate

Sunday, November 23, 2025

Oh no just 5 weeks till Christmas

Time for us all to get our "Merry" on


This past week was the week before we were scheduled to leave for our trip to see Son1's family. (OK if truth be known we love all of them but we are really going to see Pip, and be there to celebrate her birthday. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade) Regardless, we saw a flurry of Christmas activity. List that had been made were revised, bins were moved downstairs in an orderly fashion (A first for me), cookie baking day was scheduled as was candy making day and events have been added to the calendar

As of today, the foyer is decorated with the exception of the foyer tree. (It might get done today or tomorrow, or it might not) The welcome Christmas painting is out, the carolers are around the tree on the foyer table singing their little hearts out, the resin bronze colored Santa is standing guard by the foyer table, and the monkey butler is wearing his Santa hat and is holding his tray topped with candles and a small bowl of Christmas candy.

Moving to the living rooms, the three glass floor vases are filled with silver, gold and copper colored balls and the piano is mostly done. The living room tree is not up, maybe tomorrow or maybe not. 

The den has the coffee table decorated with a small tree and small bowed wrapped boxes beneath it. The hearth has Christmas themed toys on it and the mantle is decorated with greenery, bows and fairly lights in addition to two stocking hangers where the stockings* are already hung.
The side tables by the couch and chair are decorated and Wooden Face ** is wearing a Santa hat.
The den tree is still not up. Bummer

That leads us to the kitchen. There are a few things I put out every year.  The lazy susan Uncle Bob made me sits in the middle of the table every day of the year. Sometimes it is seasonally decorated but I always put Christmas things on it. Right now it is home to candles of various sizes, 3 funky metal Christmas trees and the non-festooned salt and pepper shakers (I guess I am slacking)
The buffet has been spruced up and has a couple of Christmas themed items on it, along with the Christmas carol singing Elvis.
The cabinet behind the table has been Christmasfied, with the container for arriving Christmas cards all bowed and ready to hold any incoming cards. (Believe it or not, we have already received three. Even though I have been getting ready for  the entire year, I am nowhere near mailing mine)

The dining room is still an office, and that is all I am going to say about that.😒😒😒

The exterior decorating will be done once we return home, but I planned on that anyway.

And that is it until we return.

4  Days till Thanksgiving
32 Days till Christmas

Ho, Ho, Hope the week is great for you all!

* Mom made my stocking when I was a baby and it has been hanging every year since. The year TheHub and I were married, Mom made a matching one for him, and as each successive child was born she made one for them. The last one she ever made was for Pip and by then she was having difficulty keeping count when the pattern changed. What a gift!

**Wooden Face is a 3d face carved from wood (obviously) with a support in the back so it can stand. One of Mom's childhood neighbors cared them in his spare time. I not remember a time when they were not in my parents house. After we cleared out Mom and Dad's house My Beloved Sister split them. I got Wooden Face and Harry Truman, MBS has Wooden Head and Sir Walter Raleigh. As an aside My cousin has possession of Rumplestiltskin. I am assuming these were all carved sometime in the '40's based on what we were told about them, but I suppose some could have been carved much earlier. Sir Walter is a larger than life size bust including the intricate ruff around his necks that would have taken forever to carve

21 comments:

  1. Have fun this week with Pip!!!! Grandchildren are the only reason I will fly… lol. Grandchildren are the best!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about grandchildren. They are the greatest!

      Delete
  2. You still have got a lot done, so, don't stress about living room still an office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not stressing anymore. What's done is done and the rest will be finished once we return.

      Delete
  3. Even less than 5 weeks now! Eeeekkk! So much to arrange.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, it all sounds lovely, Anne. How neat that you and your sister split the wooden carvings from the 1940s and what a treasure to have! Safe travels on your trip. I hope you both have a great holiday and enjoy your time with family and especially Pip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had asked our cousins if any of them wanted a couple of the carvings and no one did. We thought it as kind of greedy for us to own 4/5ths of them but we had no takers, which is fine with us.

      Delete
  5. Your house sounds magical. Are you going to show us pictures? I know we've seen the monkey before, but not everything else. Or at least I don't remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not magical but I do like having things decorated for Christmas. I will post photos (even though I am a crappy photographer) once things are finished.

      Delete
  6. I know you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving with Pip and the family. Your house sounds like it is all dressed up for Christmas. It will be nice to come home, and the majority is done. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be glad to get to Portland, and enjoy the holiday and Pip's birthday.

      Delete
    2. Once I get on the plane and can relax things will be better. I am at the point that whatever is done is done and the rest will be finished next week.

      Delete
  7. You made me tired just reading all you've done! Have a great trip and enjoy your time with Pip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure your family knows the trip is about Pip. :) I bet she's looking forward to your time tomorrow too. Safe travels and enjoy your time in Portland.
    My daughter has been managing the Christmas decorating on her own. I've yet to get in the mood. Im sure it will come when I return in early December .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand how that stocking holds a special place in your heart! I love how you remember the history behind those beloved carvings.
    Meanwhile!, Pip's (*and company*) awaiting anxiously. Prayers for travel mercies and Good Times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done so much better than I have with decorating. I swore I would start at the beginning of November. It didn't happen. I haven't had the energy. At least I have some gifts wrapped and in boxes, ready to be mailed, if I can stand to go to the post office and wait in the long line in the heat. Our post office is always too warm. I don't know how people can stand to work there.
    Enjoy Pip!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope we get to see the carved items. They sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you got the house mostly decorated! Well done! Enjoy Thanksgiving and Pip's birthday (Happy Birthday to her!) and have a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.