This week I did some serious work in the room of horrors. It is now no longer the room of horrors, but is the room of the empty closet, ready to be filled with all the purged and organized containers.
I have all the Christmas bins ready to take downstairs in the order they will be used. Starting Monday I will begin my Christmas decorating. If you have read one of these posts before you will know we are leaving for Oregon the 23rd and will be home the 1st. I want all the decorating done before we leave (except for the outside, but they are minimal and can be placed that Monday*).
Son3 and DIL3 were here for a short visit and they left with some of the ornaments I no longer wanted. I think there were enough of them to cover their entire tree. I am glad they wanted and can use them, and really glad they are non longer cluttering my house.
Every single gift that is bought as of right now is wrapped and in a very large box** in the living room. I do not bow or otherwise decorate the presents until they are about to go under the tree. I will arrange the presents so the bows will not be smashed when I give them. And yes I know it is unnecessary, but it is what I like to do. Truth be known the presents under the living room tree are wrapped in papers that coordinate with the ornaments on that tree and are a bit more formal looking. The den tree's gifts have a more casual and random look. Obsessive? Possibly, but I will deny it.
*I only put out 3 lighted trees, a door wreath and a lighted swag over the door. They have all been strung, fluffed, bows retied and are just waiting for their moment in the spotlight, so to speak.
**This is a basic corrugated cardboard box that has a huge red blanket lining it, which then overhangs the sides and back of the box. It actually looks like I planned on doing things that way, but it was a serendipitous happening. I had stuck the box in the corner of the living room and filled it, but when I went back upstairs to see if I had anything remaining in my double secret gift drawer, I saw (through an open closet door) the red blanket that I had forgotten about. Unplanned, but a nice accidental touch.
Wow, you sound so organized. I'm in my thinking stage at this point for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI am so totally unorganized that I am trying to circumvent my natural tendencies toward procrastination by forcing myself to do things
DeleteI only put out 3 lighted trees...ONLY 3??? LOL...I meant, if I could only put one out...my cats will demolish it in minutes. Have a wonderful new week ahead, Anne.
ReplyDeleteThe outside trees are just trees a little shorter than me with nothing but lights and bow toppers. They are literally just set on the porch and plug in
DeleteIf the living room tree is ready I take it you managed to get husband out of the living room and back into his designated office. Yay if you have been able to reclaim your living room!!! Oh, and Roll Tide !!!! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteThe LR tree is not up, just the presents in the box are in there. I reclaimed the dining room Friday through Sunday afternoon only
DeleteWow, you got a lot accomplished this week, great job!
ReplyDeleteI tried. I hope to be finished with some decorating this week
DeleteIf for some reason I'm ever asked to lead an invasion of another country I want you to be my general!
ReplyDeleteIf I am leading any invasions we have to have me wearing blinders. Any shiny diversion and it would be invasion over
ReplyDeleteI like your little obsessions. Why not? I am glad you got the room and closet cleaned out.
ReplyDeleteThe room is still controlled chaos. I still have to repack everything back in the closet where it lives, but this time things will be labeled and neatly put away instead of just a random mess.
DeletePractical Parsimony liking your obsessions here.
DeleteWow, you're certainly well prepared for Christmas! This year, I'm giving small gifts with gift cards. What I've bought is in gift bags in my closet at my son's, or I've already given it to the recipient (my son - his snowblower).
ReplyDeleteI bet you're getting excited about your trip to Portland...as will be Pip!
I am excited to be seeing Pip, Son1 and DIL1, but not so much the actual trip. We will just be there a few days and I do like staying there a bit longer. But this is one of those years when Thanksgiving butts into the Christmas season, and I want to also enjoy it this year.. Last year Christmas was so unenjoyable for us because we both were sick the first two weeks of December and I was caught off guard and not feeling like doing much of anything. That's why I have been Christmas obsessed this entire year.
DeleteYou are very organized and on top of things! I used to be a lot like that. I had a big beautiful tree in my living room that was beach themed and matched my home, presents underneath were coordinated as well. I had another tree in our family room, that's the one that had the colored lights, homemade and other random ornaments. Now that all thee of my kids have their own homes I've divided all of my Christmas stuff among them. I now just have a little pink tree for my granddaughters. The big decorating days are over for me. I always loved doing it but now that I don't it feels like a weight off my shoulders. Enjoy! :)
ReplyDeleteThe Room of Doom is no longer the Room of Doom! It is now the Room of the Empty Closet! Wow! That's huge! Well done! You'll have that closet all nicely organized now that you've sorted through the Christmas stuff. I still haven't done a thing about Christmas. Nor do I know if I am hosting Thanksgiving. However, and this is more important to me, I have booked the date for the annual Almsgiving (the weekend before Christmas).
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving visit in Oregon with your Son1 and family.
I am so proud of you! I also love the obsessive part.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your prayers. They are sustaining me. Medical fatigue is real. God is still good. I’m just tired.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Anne!! It sounds like you are on top of things.
ReplyDeleteI thought i commented here, maybe I forgot to click publish.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a truly creative mind to see an old blanket and know it will enhance your decor.
And of course that mind is the reason you have coordinated decorations and wrapping paper!
Enjoy the season 🎄 🎅 🔔