Monday: Both TheHub and I spent the day doing the last minute things you need to do before leaving town. Weirdly for this trip we are traveling with 4 different currencies, excluding US dollars. We have done currency exchanges before but never more than 1.
Because a couple of the places we will be going have pay toilets, we do want cash in hand for necessities. I told TheHub (who was trying to figure to the cent how much we would need in each country) if he was chintzy getting currency and I had to use the restroom, funds went to my needs and he would be left SOL. We are now taking what I consider enough. Sometimes it pays to be demanding.
What I learned: I have been on a deep dive watching octopus videos on Youtube. I learned about the suckers on their tentacles and all the uses they have.
Listened to: Whatever Spotify's Discover Weekly sent my way
Dinner: Gathering the fragments
Whatever we had left that could go in a salad
Tuesday: We woke, did some last minute chores changed the sheets ( I love coming home to a laundered bed) and headed to Nashville.
Our flight was much less expensive originating from there, and we were able to have dinner with Son3 and DIL3.
After dinner we went to our hotel and sacked out.
What I learned: DIL3 was one of the winners at the Kerrville Folk Festival and as a winner she had to be back in Texas for the winners concert May 30
Listened to: Sirius Radio in the car.
Dinner: They chose a Mediterranean place for dinner
Gyro plates or chicken shawarma
Wednesday: We woke early and drove to Son3s house so he could drop us off at the airport. The bonus is keeping the car at his house saving parking fees.
The flight from Nashville to Philly was a snap, followed by a three hour layover and a long over night flight to Prague
What I learned: If a plane has a wheelchair accessible restroom, use it. It’s still not big, but comparatively it is gigantic
Dinner: Plane fodder
Thursday: After leaving Philly at 6 pm Wednesday, we arrived in Prague at 8 am Thursday morning
What a beautiful place!
After about a 45 minute bus ride we arrived at the hotel. We planned on getting here a day early to have some time to do whatever we wanted before the planned Tauck events began. Obviously so did a lot of other folks and the lobby was filled with people waiting for a room. We met several folks we will be in close contact with for the next several days.
By the time our room was ready, we had been awake for 27 hours and were very tired. We took advantage of the hotels luxury linens, took a shower and a 2 hour nap before heading out for dinner.
What I learned: More and more about Prague’s history. Amazingly the city was spared from major damage during WW2 and what they call Old Town is absolutely stunning.
Dinner: I wanted to eat traditional Czech food but also wanted something not terribly heavy. When we spoke with the consigliere he suggested we ease into Czech food saying there was nothing light about it. We wound up going to a small Italian restaurant.
Seared tuna, penne arrabiata, and tossed salad ( chef’s kiss)
Friday: TheHub and I spent the day exploring the Jewish Quarters, which is some of the oldest parts of the city. It was fascinating and sobering all at the same time. Learning about the history of the people, and the synagogues (The oldest which was built in the 1200’s and is still an active place of worship, and a newer one with the names of all Jewish residents who were killed during the Nazi occupation.
Afterward we had a lovely al fresco lunch before going back to the hotel for a little rest before getting ready for the tours dinner plans at Lobkowicz Palace.
What I learned: So much about the Jewish population through the centuries
Listened to: The palace sat on a hilltop overlooking the old town part of the city. The place was gorgeous and the view spectacular,
with a string quartet playing in the background
Dinner: Mixed spring greens, orchard fruit and almonds salad, chicken with veggies in a potato, mousse and cake.
Saturday: We toured the Old Town with our guide Ludmilla who was not only very knowledgeable about the history of the area but also shared her experiences living under Soviet rule, comparing it to her life now.
Also as part of the tour we were able to see the astronomical clock in action.
Once the tour was over, TheHub and I wandered around the square, before settling on a lively beer garden for lunch
TheHub toured a library in a monastery on the palace grounds.while I read.
Listened to: Street musicians
Dinner: We found a small restaurant near the hotel
Salmon, steak and salad
Sunday: We left Prague headed to the boat with a brief stop in Regensburg for a quick walk about and lunch, before boarding the bus to continue the trip to the boat
Once on board and unpacked the ship set sail and a new adventure began.
Have a great time, Anne!
ReplyDeleteSafe travels and enjoy your trip!
ReplyDeleteExcited for you and looking forward to reading more. I sent the loose pounds and Pence coins and euro coins with my sisters for those bathroom needs. I had forgot I had both but glad I remembered before they left.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, what a trip, Anne. I would thoroughly enjoy learning about the history, which I find fascinating.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds amazing! I can only imagine the history and architecture.
ReplyDeleteHaving a place to leave the vehicle is definitely a bonus.
Congrats to your DIL.
This sounds like fascinting trip!
ReplyDelete"Son3 and DIL3"
What a blessing that you have so many you have to put a number. 😀
You're living my dream holiday! I'm wondering if Ludmilla isn't a common name over there? I still have a children's book we bought in Austria autographed by Ludmilla's mother.
ReplyDeleteOh Anne; I love Prague! Sang there several times in my late college years. Love the Jewish quarter, and you are right very sobering at times. I live vicariously through and Joe's adventures! Nor Bossy, Kay
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful! I'm thrilled for you. I hope everything continues to go well on your journey.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Oh my, and now I REALLY want to visit Prague again!!! I was too young to appreciate it the first time! First couple of days and your trip already sounds wonderful, although the concierge telling you to "ease into" Czech food made me laugh. Can't wait to see all the photos!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a very exciting vacation. Love how you note on what you learned.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful trip!!! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a wonderful time, it sure sounds like it (I love coming home to a laundered bed as well).
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo