Translate

Monday, September 14, 2026

A Boogie Through Last Week

I can think of absolutely no reason why the Gods of Spotify chose this as the first song of my Discover Weekly list, but it happened. Boogie Woogie Country Girl had possibilities, I was sure, but I had no idea the direction it would take. I knew very few boogie songs and even fewer possibly no songs mentioning country girls 


 

Monday: The very hot Labor Day came and went with little fanfare other than having Son2 DIL2 and My Beloved Sister over for lunch (which I am counting as dinner since that is the only meal we ate for the day)
Once they left I did a lot of reading while TheHub nodded off in his recliner.
We watched the FSU-SMU football game, which was delayed because the lights in the stadium were not working for a while. What was that about? Did someone forget to pay the power company?
While we were waiting I read a couple of magazine articles (Thank you Libby app)
What I learned: We watched a video about Patagonia and I learned about the southernmost post office in the world. It is not on my bucket list for places to go, but the post office has its own passport stamp that is pretty neat and I would not mind having it.
Dinner (or lunch really): We enjoyed a Labor Day spread curtesy of Saws BBQ.
Pulled pork, smoked chicken, baked beans, potato salad, collards, coleslaw, banana pudding
Listened to: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B

 
Tuesday: I started the day with a loads laundry followed by a little cleaning and a lot of reading. Then it was time for a little cherry picking at my local grocery stores, followed by an evening of trivia. Our neighbors joined us there to multiply our brain power. It was fun, but even with their help we were not the brightest bulbs in the box.
What I learned: James Brown was known as the "Hardest Working Man in Show Business" (Obscure trivia question. We had no idea!)
Dinner: When we are playing trivia at The Electric, TheHub and I split a sandwich and order an extra side. 
1/2 Cuban sandwich, coleslaw, adult beverage
Listened to: Jungle Boogie


Wednesday: My Wednesday class began after our summer break. It was wonderful to see everyone again and catch up on what everyone did over the summer. Other than running a couple of errands after class, making my grocery list and menu plan, I mostly had a pretty low key afternoon. I did talk to Son1 and Son3, and of course I talked with My Beloved Sister.
What I learned: TheHub and I watched a video about the English Channel island, Sark. It has a population of a little over 500, allows no cars on the island and all transportation is by horse and buggy, bicycles, or tractor drawn carts.
Dinner: I am going to be using a lot from the freezer and pantry this week (as long as I remember to thaw what is needed)
Chicken in dijon cream sauce, mashed potatoes, broccoli
Listened to : Boogie Oogie Oogie


Thursday:
TheHub and I got ready and left the house fairly early to do some running around to gather a few things for the upcoming Parkinson's Association Gala. 
While we were out we ate lunch at Nicki's. If any of you are familiar with this long standing meat and three you know how it goes. If you aren't the best thing I can compare it to is the Soup Nazi episode from Seinfeld. You better know exactly what you want when you are going through the serving line because there is absolutely no dawdling allowed. 
You can always tell when someone is bringing a rookie with them. While standing in the queue you can hear them say "Look at the board so you will know what you are getting before you get there" .
After a delicious lunch we headed to Aldi and Trader Joe's. I cherry picked Aldi, but I bought some of the seasonal items at TJ's. When it get a little cooler I will be baking the Maple Butterscotch Blondie mix I bought with a London Fog from the concentrate I also bought.
What I learned: There is a new coffee shop fairly near us and I have driven by it several times and never even noticed it.
Dinner: Because we ate a much heavier lunch than normal we wanted something lighter.
Small BLT salad
Listened to: Boogie Nights


Friday: I did not feel well enough to go anywhere and instead concentrated on cleaning another area in the laundry room. I was able to get rid of some fabric I will never use, and reorganized the sewing area, including cleaning all the drawers and cabinets there.
Other than that there was just some routine household chores and the beginnings of changing over my clothes. It is still seriously hot here, but some of the very summery looking things will not be worn again until next spring. There is no point in them taking up drawer or closet real estate.
It is still too early and too hot to bring any fall/winter clothes downstairs.
What I learned: We watched a video about Greenland. Learned a lot about the icebergs that change the seascape almost hourly.
Dinner: We both wanted something that was not bland.
Deconstructed lasagne, tossed salad
Listened to: My Boogie Shoes


Saturday:
Woke and listened to College Game day while having my coffee, all three cups of deliciousness.
While TheHub was in his office working on the Gala, I had a mini spa morning. It's been a while since I did that and I honestly enjoyed the self care.
After getting all lotioned and potioned, I was ready for some football. That would be Alabama/Kentucky football, but in reality the TV was already tuned on to whomever is playing the first game of the day. I didn't watch it, but couldn't help but hear it.
Alabama, on the other hand, was actively watched.
What I learned: A friends daughter has an antique business and agreed to look for a few more dining room chairs for me. The ones I have now were bought from a friend who was emptying her mother's house and they are so much better than the ones that came with my table. Our family has grown and the lower profile chairs make everything less crowded.
Dinner: Ball game days require ball game meals
Hamburgers with all the fixings
Listened to: Cow Cow Boogie *




Sunday:
We woke and did our usual Sunday morning church thing. We were at the early communion service before going to our traditional service followed by Sunday School. Doing that sets my week in a direction I would like it to go.
Afterward we had lunch and both settled in the den to read. I was still not feeling great, and covered up with a light throw (both the a/c and ceiling fan were going)  A couple of years ago we bought a new love seat with reclining seats. It might have been a dangerous purchase because my reading turned into snoozing.
What I learned: We watched the Netflix show about Thomas Jefferson and learned a bit about his beginnings.
Dinner: Veggie night!
Speckled butter beans, sautéed squash and onions, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers
Listened to: Give Back My Heart*



Read this week: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Have a great week.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

*Most days my mind went straight to disco songs for a boogie tune. I can't believe it took me until Saturday to remember Cow Cow Boogie!

** I could not think of a single song with Country Girl in the title so instead I used this which is about a redneck cow girl. (It was the closest thing I could think of that hints at a country girl.) I  listen to this album regularly.

28 comments:

  1. Hey I think you should come clean all my sewing area and drawers. It would really help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived closer I would, but I would also be a threat to get rid of stuff.

      Delete
  2. All this mention of "far away places with strange-sounding names" make me want to dust off my (non-existent) Passport. Too cool about the Patagonia. Several years ago, my very first Blogger friend (Buttercup Counts her Blessings) enjoyed an Antarctica cruise and shared images of the darling penguins. That's one of my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do without heading that far south. It is not one of my bucket list places.

      Delete
  3. I miss playing trivia. I should get that back on my calendar but probably not until the Thursday night group I committed to ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been enjoying it, and now I know I need to brush up on all the arcane facts I take for granted.

      Delete
  4. Boogie songs are great to dance along :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like trivia and remember when Trivial Pursuit came out. I hope you feel better.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt better 24 hours after I felt crappy. I like trivia also, though TheHub and I are not in the demographic for a lot of the questions.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun week! I really enjoyed the music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music was fun, but I ran out of "boogie" titles. I am sure there are many more but I couldn't think of any.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a nice week with equal social times and quiet home time. Those are my favorites. I saw a short documentary on that post office. Not on my bucket list either but I thought it was so interest. It is going to be in the 100's here for the next 4-5 days and I am really tired of this. I moved up here to enjoy Fall, but we don't seem to get much of one anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is too early for fall here, but I would not mind a break from the stifling heat and humidity.

      Delete
  8. Blogger is at it again. I'm not getting any new posts in my feed, so I've been looking for them. Anyway, another fun group of songs that had me boogying in my chair this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are feeling better. I chuckled that though you weren't feeling well, but still managed to clean and tidy an area of the laundry room. In my case, I'd have been lounging on that love seat and moaning to myself about feeling ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not feel bad enough to moan and groan, though it took me forever to clean the area I was working on.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry you didn't feel well - everyone in our office has been sick with one thing or another!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so HOT!!!!! I feel like a dried out prune! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated happy birthday to you. I hope you felt better for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt fine by then and had a nice family dinner filled with laughs.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely week recap, Anne, I always enjoy all the little details, from the boogie songs to the fun facts about places like Sark and Greenland! The meals all sound delicious, especially that deconstructed lasagna. Wishing you a speedy recovery and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice week with just a one day interruption. THeHub and I watch a video of something or somewhere we know nothing about nearly every day.

      Delete
  14. some really good music in this recap of your week. Fun songs for sure! Sorry you did not feel well. Hope you've regained strength.. Still very warm around here...It might be a while before the fall clothes come out of their vacuum sealed containers. Have a super great week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun music week for me. I am not about to bring any of my fall clothes out yet. (who am I kidding, I have no fall clothes because fall and winter stuff is the same here) I did put up some of the ultra light colored summer clothes because I will not be wearing them anymore.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.