Translate

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Cornbread Stuffing Chicken Roll Ups

Tonight I decided at the last minute to use some of the chicken I had thawed.  When I cleaned the pantry yesterday I found a ziploc bag of Pepperidge Farms cornbread Stuffing.  So chicken and stuffing was kind of a natural conclusion except ___I had under a cup of stuffing, about 1/2 cup of chicken broth in the fridge and 2 small packs of chicken breasts.  Hmmmm.  I also knew I had a bag of frozen turnip greens in the freezer and about 5 carrots I had cooked over the weekend.  That would have to be the bones for dinner.

Cornbread Stuffing Chicken Roll Ups


1 cup ( more or less) Pepperidge Farm Cornbread Stuffing
3/4 cup chicken broth (or less plus water to equal about 3/4 cups liquid)
1/2 small onion chopped in small cubes
1 rib celery minced
4 boneless skinned chicken breasts
adobo seasoning

Chicken gravy ( Homemade or from a jar) optional

Put the dry stuffing in a bowl and pour the liquid over it.  Stir lightly and let it sit until the liquid is absorbed.  You should be left with a soft paste like consistency.  Stir in the onion and celery and blend together well.  Take each chicken breast and put it flat on a plate.  With the back of a spoon spread 1/4 of the cornbread mixture over the chicken breast.  Starting at the small end of the breast roll it like a jelly roll.  If you would like stick a plain wooden toothpick in it to hold it together.  I simply put it seam side down in an 8x8 oiled baking pan. Repeat with the other breasts.  Sprinkle with adobo seasoning. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Check for doneness and bake a bit more if needed.  Serve seam side down on a plate.  Top with warm chicken gravy if desired.

Super  Freezer Turnip Greens

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion julienned
1 seeded small bell pepper sliced thinly. ( a red or orange looks best)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 thawed bag of frozen turnip greens
2 tablespoons bacon bit (real bacon not that fake stuff) optional

In a saute pan, heat the oil to hot.  Put the onions in the hot oil and wilt.  After wilted the onions add the pepper strips and continue cooking for about a minute to wilt them also.  Turn the heat to medium and add the garlic, stirring constantly for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add the frozen spinach and stir well to mix all ingredients.  Put the lid on the pan and let the greens steam for about 4 minutes.  When nice, hot and well wilted remove from heat and serve immediately.  If you have them and would like, top with a smattering of bacon bits.

This was a pretty big hit with everyone here.  I had no gravy and no pan drippings to make any with.  I think it would have sent this over the top but it was dang good without it.  The next time I roast a chicken I am going to deglaze the pan and stick the liquid and chicken bits in a small container in the freezer so I will be able to whip up a small amount of gravy whenever I want to.

I was skeptical of how the turnip greens would be.  I really do hate frozen greens.  I had bought these for New Year's Day but then found gorgeous fresh collards to cook instead.  I cooked these just like I do fresh greens and they were surprisingly delicious.  I am honestly not sure I could tell the difference.  Next fall, when they are in their peak season, I am going to do some serious greens freezing.

Another day of not shopping and eating decent food accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.