Translate

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Cornmeal Biscuits

I seem to be doing something I have never done before.  I inventory the big freezer every week, especially now that I know exactly how much food I have stored in it.  I was once again moving packages around and refining my freezer list when I noticed I had one remaining bag of okra, about 3 large bags of corn on the cob and 5 packs of lady peas. I decided it was time to do some serious attacking regarding the remaining vegetables I had frozen last summer. It was a no brainer to pick the okra for the meal.  Now I can cross okra  off my inventory list completely.  Yeah!!!!!

We grew up in the south and love peas with okra so I grabbed one of the packs of lady peas.  I could have taken out just the 3 ears of corn needed for dinner since I freeze them individually first,  but I decided to go ahead and cook the entire pack.  I have a plan for the leftovers later.  There was a pound of misplaced smoked sausage among the vegetables and rather than putting it in its proper place I took it out for dinner also.

Though I had not intended to have anything else with the meal, I saw a recipe for cornmeal biscuits here at The Iowa Housewife and thought this might be a good time to try them.

Cornmeal Biscuits



1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal*
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firm butter ( I used 1/2 cup shortening** as the Iowa Housewife suggested)
3/4 cup milk

In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients well.  Cut in the butter/shortening until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.  Add the milk and mix until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.  Turn out to a floured board and knead about 10 times. Roll or pat the dough 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a floured round cookie cutter.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

This was a mixed bag of nuts.  I loved the flavor but hated the consistency.  I used an organic corn meal and it was too coarse.  While the biscuits themselves were fluffy and tender, bits of the meal were hard and crunchy. It made eating them a little unpleasant  I think if this were made with corn flour rather than meal it would be delicious.  I have a bag of the flour in the freezer and will try them another day.





    
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.