Translate

Friday, May 1, 2015

Gathering the Fragments: Broccoli for Breakfast

You know those mornings when you get busy doing odds and ends and all of a sudden it is nearly 11 and you realized you've had nothing but coffee?  No wonder I was hungry, but at 11 who wants to eat breakfast food.  Fortunately I had been cleaning the fridge and knew I had about a cup of  twice re-warmed broccoli that had to be eaten within the day. (Since I have doing the paleo thing  and am buying so much fresh produce, I am acutely aware of how much it costs. I don't want to waste even a bite.) So my only issue was how to process the very over cooked green stuff so it would have some flavor and minimize the mush factor.

I had recently gone to a ladies luncheon type thing and they served a raw broccoli and grape salad. I don't remember exactly what was in it, but I thought it might be worth trying to make it, especially since I also had about a cup of red seedless grapes and green onions in the refrigerator.  In addition to the produce, I had 2 strips of bacon I had cooked late last week that could be heated and crisped.

                                             Broccoli, Grape and Bacon Salad

Not a recipe, but a method:

I started by draining the broccoli in a large sieve. I pressed lightly on it with the back of a wooden spoon.  Some liquid came out, but it was so overcooked that any further pressing would have left me with broccoli baby food. (Not appealing!)

I put the somewhat drained broccoli in a small bowl with the  grapes, and sliced onions and poured about a teaspoon and a half of red wine vinegar over it all. Then I added about a teaspoon of mayonnaise and a teaspoon of whole grain mustard, salt and pepper and the chopped very crisp bacon.  Before I stirred it together I saw a bag of pecan halves and grabbed 4 or 5, broke them in pieces and tossed them in the bowl.  A very quick stir was all it took to coat every thing with the mayo/vinegar.  It was ready to eat, but I was taking a picture of it so I put it in a clean bowl and threw 5 more grapes on the top. (Truth be told, I took 5 grapes out of the salad and rinsed them off, patted them dry, and stuck them on the top just for the picture.  I know, I am lame and forgot to hold any out for a garnish.)

This was good, but not as good as I remember the one I ate before.  I am sure mushy cooked broccoli paled in comparison to the fresh, finely chopped raw broccoli.  But I will admit it was still a pretty good way to use and eat that broccoli.  If I have about the same amount left over again I will do the exact same thing and it will be a pretty tasty, filling meal plus it has a nice serving of vegetables.  The bacon was delicious (that would be because it's BACON!) but I think as a side salad it would be really good without it.

I will make this intentionally using fresh broccoli the next time it is on sale. I thought about snagging some when I went to the grocery store today but it was considerably higher than my usual price point so I didn't get any.  If you are tired of salad greens and want something a little different this might be the thing to try.

Try something unexpected with your leftovers; it might just be the beginning of a whole new way to look at the refrigerator.




6 comments:

  1. To tell you the truth, this didn't sound very appealing until you put in the bacon and pecans. Then there was no way to go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was good, but a tad too mushy. The upside: no food waste

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the last combination i would think of but it sounds ok!
    i did whole30 a little while ago, its paleo on steroids and it bored me after a while but it was a good thing to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started with Whole 30, went off for a while and am back doing paleo. I'm not quite as severe but I am still avoiding even the acceptable sugars, since that is what I can overdo in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep bacon is in that select food group, Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.