Translate

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Variation On A Cajun Sausage Theme


I am unsure why, but it seems like I have a sausage theme going lately.  Last night I forgot to take anything out of the freezer to thaw for dinner.  Yikes!  I found a frozen smoked sausage in the front of the eye level shelf and knew it would thaw quickly. (Especially if I used the microwave).  I hit defrost and let it run for a few minutes.  By then it was still icy, but I could cut it into thin "coins".  ( In truth only about half was soft enough to cut so the universe decided I would use just 1/2 pound of it.)

Next, the only thing to do was ramble around and try to figure what I was going to do with it.  Son3 had mentioned having cajun mac and cheese, which did not sound good to me but did give a direction for the meal. 

                                                         Cajun Sausage Bowl



















1/2 to 1 pound smoked sausage cut into "coins"
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon or 1 bouillon cube
1 package bow tie pasta
1 can tomatoes with garlic, onion, and peppers ( do not drain)
1 can green beans ( do not drain)
1 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning ( I used Tony Chachere's but any cajun seasoning blend would work)
2 tablespoons light cream

Pour oil in  the bottom of a large pot.  Add onions, celery and bell peppers and cook over medium high heat until wilted.  Quickly stir in the garlic to barely wilt.  Immediately add the water and the chicken bouillon.  Stir to dissolve then add the bow tie pasta.  Stir in the tomatoes, juice and all and the green beans with it's liquid.  Add the cajun seasoning and give everything a quick stir.  Lower heat,  cover pot and cook until the pasta is semi soft.  Place the sausage on top of everything, check and add additional water if necessary,  replace the lid and simmer until the pasta is completely cooked and the sausage is hot.  Right before serving add the cream and stir through.

This was very tasty and is something we will try again during the cool weather.  It felt more like a cold weather meal than one when the temps are still so high.  I think when I do it again I will add more vegetables, maybe some shredded zucchini and a whole bell pepper.  The guys here thought it needed more sausage but I was fine with just a little.  The flavor was very good, with a bit of heat but not too much.

If you feel like dipping your toes in the Cajun cooking pool try this.  It's quick, inexpensive and pretty tasty.  Laissez le bon temps rouler!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.