Translate

Monday, January 29, 2018

January Christmas Thing

I had decided to make something Christmasish every month this year, and true to my nature the end of the month was approaching and nothing was done. I had decided I was going to count the super cheap Christmas wrap and cards I got last week as my Christmas prep, even though it was not what I had in mind when I said "make". I am not sure "make" and "buy something really cheap" are synonymous and I was feeling guilty and at the same time feeling like I did not want to go to the store or buy any supplies. Enter  Thrifty Mom in Boise who blogged about making gift tags for Christmas. Card stock__check, bits of Christmas designed craft papers__uh none. But I did have lots of pens and Sharpies so it was possible to do a bastardized version. Thank you for your inspiration.

I had a plastic template for the shape I liked so I traced it on card stock, cut it with scissors and began doing some dotting and striping and drawing and came up with several designs that will work. The ones pictured below are just prototypes since I obviously do not call my offspring Son1, Son2, and Son3, and I did not take the time or care doing them. The real ones look much better but I went ahead and have their names printed on them and because I never use their real names in the blog, I am not starting today.

I made 2 for each person I normally give gifts to and will add more later. Right now I have 20 and they are in an envelope ready for the end of the year. (At the rate January flew by December will be here before I know it anyway) I did not punch holes in mine. Most of the packages I wrap are flat packages and I will just use double faced tape to affix the tags to the gifts. If I decide I had rather tie them on later I will use my smallest hole punch and use very thin ribbon as the tie.


So barely under the wire I got something ready for Christmas 2018 and actually kept my commitment to myself at least for the first month of the year. February is still up in the air though!

19 comments:

  1. Those are terrific and nice pledge to yourself. I too want to do one prep item, but buying cheaply will count as I have no crafty ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see how long I keep it up. It may well be that I wind up counting bargain buys as "making".

      Delete
  2. That's a cool idea. The only thing I've "made" for Christmas was a request to stay home this year. hahaha....sadly it is true. My husband loves to travel over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A request to stay home is a pretty nice thing to make!

      Delete
  3. Those are cute! When I was young, I always used hanging tags with strings. Then, with kids around, sometimes the tags disappeared. I doubt anyone took them off, but with children carrying gifts into my mother's house and all the shuffling around, the tags fell off. Then, I started doing what I was saying I was doing--writing the names in pencil on the back of the package. I, too, mail things and quit using tags. Finally, I mailed so many things that I just write the name on with a marker! It works. But, if I were to use tags again, I would not bother with the two-sided tape, I would just slap on the tag and secure it with a piece of tape.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really funny about the way gifts look, but I also write the names on the bottoms of the gifts just in case they lose the gift tag

      Delete
  4. Good goal to do something every month for Christmas. My goal every year is to write letters (in addition to what I write in the card I send to them) back to everyone I get a Christmas card from. Never have I met my goal, but I do catch up with a couple of people every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you catch up with a couple you are doing better than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your gift tags. I think, just for a laugh, you should use Son1, Son2, and Son3 tags you've shown, on some small gifts you give them (maybe a gag gift) and see what they say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really cute! I applaud you for planning early. All I'm thinking about right now is summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not ready for summer yet, though we are starting plans for it too.

      Delete
  8. I really like your tags! I really need to get busy for 2018 Christmas too. It'll be here before we know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only assume since I am a year older that this year will fly faster than last year. Time is the great deceiver!

      Delete
  9. I think those are fabulous...and would make a great gag gift - by actually putting Son #1, Son #2, Son #3, just tell them you are becoming minimalistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute and much better than mine would have been. You will notice I have not polished the silver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real ones are cute, but I had done those and realized I needed a mock up tag for the pictures so I think I spent about 5 minutes total on those. I think of polishing silver like I do ironing, it's done on an as needed basis.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing valuable information nice post,I enjoyed reading this post.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.