Translate

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Recipe 3 Hot Chicken Salad on Hoe Cakes

I am not only trying new to me recipes, but I am also trying to use up a lot of the bits and pieces I have in the freezer, and trying my best to shop first from home. Consequently, we are having some interesting, possibly less than stellar meals. This weeks new recipe is from a blog I found called Retro Housewife. She has tons of recipes from the 40's-60's and very few of them require exotic ingredients. I had cooked boneless skinless chicken thighs in the freezer, and nearly everything else The only thing I had to purchase for the hot chicken salad was celery and it was just because I was out of it anyway. I have literally copied and pasted her recipe. I don't feel too bad about doing it since she credits it to "Generic Housewife Betty 1954".  At the end of the recipe I will tell you what changes I made.

Hot Chicken Salad in Corn Meal Tulip Cups

Chicken Salad:
3 cups cut-up cooked chicken
2 cups chopped celery
½ cup chopped blanched almonds
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
2 tablespoons minced onion
¼ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup grated Swiss cheese
Combine ingredients for Chicken Salad.

Tulip Cups

3 cups sifted enriched flour
1 cup enriched corn meal
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup shortening
2/3 cup water
Preparation Instructions
 For tulip cups, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water a little at a time, until dough will just hold together. Turn out on lightly floured board and knead gently a few seconds. Divide dough in half; roll each half out to form a 10 x 15 inch rectangle, Cut into six 5-inch squares. Place squares in custard cups shaping dough against the sides of the cups and allowing corners to hang over. Fill each pastry-lined cup with chicken salad; place cups on cookie sheet and bake in hot oven (400° F.) 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 12 tarts.

First I will tell you I had no intention of making the corn meal tulip cups. I figured the hot chicken salad could bake perfectly well in the oven in a baking dish (it did), cornbread pancakes would be a perfectly acceptable delivery item (they were) and I was just not willing to put that much time into something that was just going to be a simple supper. (So, I didn't)

I am sure it would be adorable and probably taste very good so if it floats your boat to make them by all means, have at it. Just don't judge me for believing a recipe is just a suggestion for me to play with.

I made the chicken salad recipe more or less, except for a main dish where measurements are not critical I eyeballed the ingredients. I know I was close but not exact. Though I had almonds, mine are raw and I did not want to toast them and skin them, so I left 'em out. I did the same with the pimento even though I had a jar in the pantry. I have 3 packages of cheddar cheese left from the holidays and I had rather make pimento cheese than have the pop of red in the chicken dish. I also added about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and the zest of 1/2 of a lemon to the chicken. When I read the recipe it just sounded to me like it needed something bright to compliment the earthiness of the curry powder. I also did not mix the cheese with the salad mix. I had about 1/4 lb of jarlsberg cheese which I grated and sprinkled over the top of the chicken salad once it was partially baked.

Mix all the chicken stuff except for the cheese. Put into an 8x8 oven safe pan and bake at 350 until it is hot and the celery has softened (about 30 minutes) Throw the cheese on top and return to the oven until it melts. Serve on top of hoe cakes.

You can call me out on this if you wish. I had a package of corn bread mix in the pantry (one of those that only needs water added) and I essentially made cornbread pancakes on a stove top griddle. Yes it is a cheat and I should feel ashamed but it was just dinner and just for the two of us, so I felt no shame at all. I made the pancakes, put them on a small breakfast plate, scooped out the hot salad and called it done. I meant to serve it with broccoli, but forgot to cook it so we had a bowl of bagged salad on the side instead.

The verdict: It was tasty, uninspiring, and a good way to use some of the frozen chicken. I might or might not make it again. There was nothing objectionable to it, it had enough flavor (and yes it definitely needed the pop of citrus). There was just no wow to it and we do tend to eat more extreme flavors than this, but it really was perfectly fine. Maybe if I had made the bloomin' tulip cups and they were prettier we would not have noticed how basic it really was.

22 comments:

  1. Feel no shame.
    Recipes are a starting point and very little more in my book. If I have never made a recipe and it looks complicated I *might* follow it carefully. The first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only recipes I follow somewhat carefully are bread recipes, because yeast breads can be a little touchy sometimes. Other than that they are just a beginning point, as you said.

      Delete
  2. I am forever looking at a recipe and realizing I don't have an ingredient or I don't like one ingredient, so I make it with what I have or leave out an ingredient. Only one time that I can remember, was the decision a definite mistake. My chicken salad recipe that is similar is ever more bland, and I love it that way. Bland food does not bother me. I would have saved the pimiento for pimiento salad, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes are just suggestions to me, but I have screwed up several over my lifetime with my not so subtle changes. When we were newly married I glazed meatballs in a coffee/honey glaze. They were beyond horrid, yet TheHub ate them anyway and declared they were not that bad. I couldn't eat them at all and I knew then I had married a keeper.

      Delete
  3. I am member of the "bland wagon", too. However, I'm not sure about serving chicken salad on corn cakes. Some how it just does seem right. But I can't knock it unless I try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not belong to "Bland Camp" I love intense flavors and this was just not as full flavored as I like. Believe it or not the cornbread was pretty tasty with it.

      Delete
  4. I love this series! By all means, test and change and experiment as that gives the rest of us a bit of a push to do the dame. We eat pretty basic around here, and for me, corn bread mix is always going to be my choice rather than scratch. I like trying new things, and while some are a fail, most turn out ok, and a coup;e have become favorites that I would have never known had I not tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to keep it going (at least that is my intent) and will share what works as well as what is less than delicious.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, that looks delicious! I love chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was OK but nothing spectacular. I imagine we will stick with cold chicken salad (we really do love it) rather than baked chicken salad.

      Delete
  6. You're using stuff up so no shame in that!! I'd probably serve it on smushed nacho chips and add a few dashes of hot sauce. My daughter REQUIRES hot sauce on everything she eats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have added a little heat to it to begin with. Trust me I am not above serving something over crushed tortilla chips either.

      Delete
  7. I suppose, when the recipe was first published, if it was published in the 1950s, the addition of curry powder (not to mention pimiento and blanched almonds) would have made it exotic. To me, it sounds a lot like it was based on "Coronation Chicken", which was made for Queen Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953 (cold cooked chicken, mayonnaise, curry powder), but baked, rather than served cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It might have been based on QE2's chicken, and you are right about the exotic nature of it in the 50's. I really do like looking through old recipes just to see what was being eaten then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't understand this word r-e-c-i-p-e

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those old recipes are just perfect, esp on a chilly day like this! The tulip cups sound a little overboard though and I think you did it perfectly with your cornbread mix to make cornbread pancakes. Very original and it looks delicious for sure! Way to go, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a time and taste equation and unless I am getting huge taste bang for the effort I always take an easier route.

      Delete
  11. I like spicy and well seasoned foods, too. Tulip bowls/cups? Wowzer — maybe for a baby shower or something special, but not a week night supper. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom has a chicken rice bake dish that looks sort of similar. I haven't had it in probably 25 years. I should dig it out & try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very old recipe. My mom never made anything like this but my mom never cooked anything outside her set 10 or so dishes.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.