Translate

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Recipe 2

I had about a cup and a half of scrappy ham leftover from Christmas that had been stuffed in a plastic bag and set in the freezer. I also had 8 less than stellar small potatoes so I knew I wanted to make something from them. I am trying had to spend little this January, reduce our food storage inventory and keep food waste to a minimum.
I had no idea what I would come up with and then I saw this recipe. Believe it or not I have never made chowder before. I am not a thick soup lover, preferring broth based soups and since I am the one who does the cooking my preferences tends to rule. But tonight I had all the ingredients handy, including a couple of ribs of almost wilted celery that had to be used tonight, so the die was cast and, well, chowder! What was the worst that could happen? I wouldn't like it so TheHub would have to eat it all for various meals? It was worth the gamble.

Ham and potato chowder

1 1/2 cup ham bits and pieces, chopped fine
8 smallish potatoes, peeled and diced(ish)
1/2 onion chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 quartish broth (I had simmered the ham bone so I used ham broth. Chicken  or veggie broth would work as well)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 small can drained whole kernel corn
1 teaspoon dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste (I used little salt and a lot of pepper)
chopped cooked bacon for garnish

Chop the ham, dice the potatoes and set aside. Put the onion, celery and butter in a large pan and wilt the veggies. Add the flour and stir like a crazy woman until the flour is blended with the butter and  it turns a light brown color. (Beige really) Immediately add the broth, stir well, stir well some morel and toss in the potatoes and ham. Cook until the potatoes are tender, adding a little more water or broth if necessary. Add the milk and the heavy cream along with the drained corn, parsley and salt and pepper. Cook through until everything is blended, semi thick and hot. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle crumbled bacon in the center of the soup.

Why have I never eaten this before? I don't know what I have had against chowder all my life, because this stuff was pretty darn good. I told TheHub next time I would make it without the corn because I thought it added nothing to the soup or the flavor. TheHub disagreed totally. He loved it.

Score, using leftovers and less than perfect veggies! And to think it only took me this many decades to decide chowder was pretty good after all. (In all fairness the only chowder I have ever eaten is Campbell's condensed clam chowder and it is just not good. I can't believe I based my disdain for chowder on the condensed stuff, but I did.)


33 comments:

  1. my husband makes a corn and potato chowder that is so good...a sprinkle of pepper on top and a few crackers and I am more than set for dinner ! sometimes he adds a little chicken if we have any leftover. I think corn and potato chowder is really a low price but good meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I can't believe I have turned my nose up at it all these years.

      Delete
  2. I love all chowders so filling, and I will definitely try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like the one can of clam chowder I had so I just never ate them and sure as heck never made them. Yeah, I am that stupid!

      Delete
  3. This sounds sooooo yummy and right up my alley! I'm definitely going to have to try it this month! Although I will probably substitute bacon since I have quite a bit of that hanging around my house right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think recipes are just suggestions for substituted on hand ingredients

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious. I just made soup tonight (red lentil) as you can't beat soup in winter. But I will give your chowder a shot as a change sounds overdue. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always eating bean, lentil or broth based soups. I have never eaten chowders and rarely a bisque, but I think this changed my mind!

      Delete
  5. It looks good. And I am forced to admit that some of my old prejudices (not all food related) have died hard.
    Sometimes for a relatively intelligent woman I am just plain dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Is it just me or are comments on some blogs taking a very long time to load?

      Delete
    2. Yep, the older I get the more I realize how stuck in my ways I have become and those ways do die hard. It is taking forever for me to load comments.

      Delete
  6. We used a similar recipe for our same chowder on Sunday but left out the bacon, I think that was a mistake as ham doesn't have enough flavour. We also used milk instead of cream trying to get the calories down :( And used too much broth so it was more soup than chowder - but we will try again and follow the recipe this time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny I read your blog about yours the night I made our. I still think recipes are just suggestions, but sometimes I should take the suggestions a little better than I do.

      Delete
  7. I have a hambone with the ham still untouched. I have four potatoes that need attention now. I like thick soups but not chowder because of the corn. I would have to use 1/4 of a cup, not a lot. I have no morels, but I could ignore that. I need food that is already done, though, because I am too sick to cook something this complicated...dicing potatoes, getting ham off the bone. Yhe celery is still good, but won't last forever. Maybe I will try this. now or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not complicated but did take a bit of time. When you are sick the last thing you want to do is spend time doing any cooking.

      Delete
  8. With ham AND bacon, whatever the base, you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork flavors were pretty good and throw in the smokiness from the bacon__really good!

      Delete
  9. I'm a fan of chowder and I like the little crunch that corn adds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait until you have leftover fresh sweet corn. You don't know heaven until you've had potato corn chowder with from the cob sweet corn!! I can see that the canned stuff woudl not add much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be fantastic with fresh corn! Probably because fresh corn is fantastic in and of itself.

      Delete
  11. Way to go, Anne! Your chowder sounds delicious and perfect for leftovers and cold weather! I've never made chowder but you have inspired me! The chopped bacon takes it up a notch for sure. Thanks for sharing and the best to you in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to see I am not the only one who has never made it before. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  12. I have tried the canned chowders and liked them, so I think a homemade one will be even better! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not like the canned chowder and I tend to give things just one time instead of trying them again. I am working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks good! My daughter loves thick creamy soups. My husband will eat them, but they aren’t his first choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As good as this was I still prefer a broth based soup, but I will be making chowders occasionally now.

      Delete
  15. Oh, that looks so good!!! Such a creamy comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so much better than I ever thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OHHHHHHH That looks delish!!! I might have to dig in the freezer and see if we still have any ham leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a great way to use all those scrappy ham pieces

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer broth-based soups though my potato and leek soup is awfully darn good. I had a bad "chowder" experience in Ireland - blechhh - just thinking about it makes me queasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have a bad food experience I am pretty much done with that food. I guess the notable exception would be Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.