Translate

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Scored Finally

I never get the bargains like some of you do, probably because I don't put the time and research into it. I will never be like Sluggy, who has saving and getting things for virtually nothing down to an art, but I know I could do better.

Last night I was cleaning out my backpack and wallet. I had thrown junk into them and it drives me nuts until I get it neatened again. While I was cleaning I found 16 dollars in Extra Bucks from CVS. 11 of them has expiration dates this week, I had to go to the post office anyway, (Granddaughters must have their Valentines box on time) and CVS is across the street from the p.o. so I figured I would stop in an see if they had anything I might need. Plus I was afraid if I didn't stop in today I would lose them, since next week is jam packed with things I have to do and CVS might not be in my wheel house.

I have to purchase products for Mom sometimes and I always put them on my card. She pays for them but I keep whatever cash rewards accrue and use them for my personal purchases.  I have done a lot for her lately so today I went and picked up 5 items I needed/wanted and used the Extra Bucks. I bought 16.34 cents in products and paid for them with 16 Extra Bucks. I was out .34 and with tax so my total o.o.p. purchase was .99. In addition some of the purchases I made for Mom a couple of weeks ago had a delayed Extra Buck earning. When I finished at the cash register I accumulated $14 from purchases I made for her 2 weeks ago! Bingo!

Today the "found" money turned into Turtles for TheHub for Valentines, a grate for my kitchen sink drain, a couple of personal items for me (make-up remover and cotton balls), and an Elsa (from Frozen) diary with lock and key for those secret thoughts all little girls have,  (clearance item for 1.50) which I am going to stick in my Christmas stash.

And now I have chocolate to give TheHub, and a Christmas present and was out a total of 99 cents. I can't wait to see what this weeks CVS ad has. I need a couple of things but will wait until I can earn EB, and I have until the 28th to use the $14. Here's hoping for good ads!

p.s. Should I tell TheHub I spent a total of 55 cents on his Valentines Day ?

22 comments:

  1. Don't tell him for a couple of weeks. I would want to warm vibes from being kind and thoughtful and generous. But, I would want the credit for being so frugal. You COULD have spent the money on makeup. I scored two free tickets to a Beatles review at the civic center in Huntsville when I had first met exbf. We had dated for a year and his birthday was near. I still have not told him they were free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly he would not care one way or another. As long as he has something good to eat and a glass of wine with it, life is good.

      Delete
  2. A gifts a gift. Chocolate for prsctically nothing tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as he loves Turtles, he will not care at all that he is actually just worth 55 cents this year.

      Delete
  3. well done you, Sluggy really is the pro at this sort of thing, but you are going to be just like her soon.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be like she is. I will just aim for an occasional score

      Delete
  4. I purchase my mom's things at rite aid for the points. Evil me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to save, Anne! I think it's so sweet that you are sending Valentine's gifts to your granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only see her live and in person a couple of times a year, so this is how I keep us connected. Well this and FaceTime! The gift is not a great gift, but she will be getting every Valentine color of playdough on Monday along with candy and assorted "princess" accessories

      Delete
  6. You did very well indeed! I would tell him about the chocolate just because its such a great deal, I'd have to say something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will tell him and make some joke about him being worth a little pocket change.

      Delete
  7. Nice score! My mom used to give my kids Valentines gifts too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is hardly a great gift but now she loves getting mail, and as soon as she gets something she "reads:" it to them.

      Delete
  8. You did great with the freebies! I'm sure your husband will enjoy his chocolates no matter how much you spent and your granddaughter is going to love her Valentine's Day box from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I could paint a toilet paper cardboard tube pink and draw hearts on it and she would love getting it. 4 is a great age!

      Delete
  9. Well done! I wish we had something like that here...we do have one company with a points program that seems to be getting a little better but nothing like CVS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided I need to make an effort to use all the bonus cash. Sometimes I stick a receipt in my wallet and forget about it, then miss the expiration date.

      Delete
  10. What a score! it's such a fun game to play! And turtles.... for almost free? even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun and if Alabama did not have sales tax on every purchase the blooming things would have been free!

      Delete
  11. I do not understand how to work the deals at CVS.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.