Translate

Monday, February 19, 2018

Week 7 New to Me Recipe

I have been doing that Whole30 thing since Feb 1, and this time I am doing one thing very differently. I am trying to make meals that are equally enjoyable for those not doing the program, as they are for those of us who are. (In our those those of us who are is just me and those who aren't is TheHub and anyone else who happens to pop by for a meal). Fortunately for me TheHub will eat pretty much anything and as long as it has a good flavor he is a happy camper.

I tried this mainly because my mouth was craving intense flavor, and the Girl Scout Thin Mints in the freezer were singing a sweet song to me, telling me I had been so diligent and it wouldn't hurt to eat just one. Except I know me and that one cookie would turn into a whole cellophane stack, leaving me with a sugar overload and the burden of regret.

Since I was hungry I needed something substantial as well as something delicious, so I started looking at various Whole 30/paleo blogs. When I saw a few recipes for buffalo chicken I knew my mouth would be happy, but they were all slow cooker recipes, it was about 6 and I needed something that could be ready within the hour. (I have found with little or no snacking between meals, especially when snacks are celery sticks with almond butter, that I am hungry earlier and we are eating within 30 minutes of TheHub getting home).

This link will take you directly to the page where the recipe I mostly used is found. I am writing it in the body of this post with the changes I made to it (mostly based on what I had available)

2 large sweet potatoes baked however you like to bake them.
( I stick mine in the microwave)
2 cups shredded lettuce (I had leaf lettuce so that's what I used.


1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cubed. (use whatever boneless skinless chicken you have on hand)
1/4 cup ghee (can use oil instead but use about 1/2 the amount)
5 ribs of celery, sliced thin
large carrots cut in thin "coins 1 zucchini grated
1/4 onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot* sauce
1 teaspoon  salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
sliced scallions for garnish 


Melt the ghee in a dutch oven. Toss in the chicken and cook until the chicken loses its color. Remove from the pan and add the veggies and let them soften slightly. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the chicken  back to the pan and cook on medium low until the veggies are cooked through and the chicken is done.

Cut each potato in half and kind of squeeze it so the sweet potato is "loose".  Add 1/2 cup 
shredded lettuce to the cut side of each potato then tops with 1/4 of the mixture. Add either ranch or blue cheese dressing and sprinkle the top with scallions. 

This was beyond delicious. Son2 and GF2 dropped by to eat and they thought it was incredible. The half potato was enough for everyone but Son2 who went back for more of the chicken mixture. Even with him having seconds there was enough left for me to eat for lunch a couple of days later. So this passed the paleo and non paleo food taste test with flying colors. I am going to keep this in our meal rotation whether I am doing Whole30 or not.

I had made paleo ranch dressing and they all used it, but any ranch or blue cheese will work well. Also *Franks Hot Sauce is sugar free and falls in one of the few "regular food condiments" that are whole 30 compliant. It is a pretty mild "hot" sauce, so if you use a hotter one adjust accordingly.

And I apologize for being mostly absent from everyone's blogs lately. Lots of stuff is happening here right now and I will post about it a little later.

Have a great day and try some new recipes and let us know about it!



20 comments:

  1. Frank's Hot Sauce is incredibly hot to me. I would put two drops, and I am not kidding. Using the sweet potato like this is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I like more heat than a lot fo people. Frank's is a really mild sauce to me and honestly this whole recipe had very little actual heat.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious and satisfying! My snack is carrots and hummus, but almond butter sounds good. I may just buy some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think almond butter is kind of pricy, but I use very little at a time and sometimes I need more of a snack than just raw veggies or a piece of fruit. I love hummus, but no beans are allowed on whole30.

      Delete
  3. We were gifted with a lot of sweet potatoes recently and have been eating them more. My favorite way is with a serving of soup or cooked beans on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a big sweet potato fan, but I am learning to like them better and especially if they are filled with something delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good! I made your Peruvian chicken last night with skinless boneless chicken breasts, love the combo of spices. We had it with couscous. I nice meal for winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was great with couscous. I really do love that spice combination also.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this sounds and looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes and the way you made this dish has to be a great meal! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. I put extra greens on mine and called it a complete meal.

      Delete
  7. Whole 30, low carb, blah.... why can't life be chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, but this body needs to do Whole30 or maybe even Whole 300

      Delete
  8. It sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I might reduce the amount of celery, if I make it, because a little celery goes a long way with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that you can move the ingredients up or down to suit your taste.

      Delete
  9. Glad that you found a recepie that the whole family likes. I have a great aversion to sweet potatoes and hot sauce, so I probably won't be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I typed 1/2 cup of hot sauce I knew this was not for you!

      Delete
  10. That looks really good! I love hot sauce! My family — not so much...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious in the photo! I have started microwaving sweet potato because it is such a fast and easy method but my favourite way to cook it would be sliced into thick rounds and slow cooked in oil on the stove. Is that roasting? I'm not sure. anyways, thats what i do. It also makes a pretty potato salad mixed with regular potato. Are you eating white potato on whole 30? I did when i did it but i dont think you are supposed to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat white potatoes very occasionally. They are allowed but not encouraged

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.