Translate

Monday, June 27, 2022

The plan that did not exist and what happened

I had made non specific plans for dinner while the family was here. I knew I had a ton of food in the freezer and I knew tastes and diets are different plus we wanted something Pip would enjoy each meal. And after all, whatever Pip wants, Pip gets!



Monday: Son1's family got back into town about 5:30. Son1 and Pip got ready to get in the pool while DIL1 went upstairs to take a nap. Meanwhile Son2 and DIL2 came over to swim with Pip. 
I think we wound up eating about 9:30.
Tacos and all the fixings, ice cream sandwiches (no they were not homemade)

Tuesday: Another day of swimming. Son2 and DIL 2 came over to swim with Pip and the rest of us, (but mainly Pip). All day swimming means a late dinner.
Chicken and dressing, broccoli, tomato cucumber and onion salad, ice cream 

Wednesday: More swimming during the day and into the late night!
Pizza compliments of Marco's pizza, tossed salad

Thursday: We had a ton of leftovers from Wednesday's lunch and supper, and all the makings for some sides
Pizza, chicken tenders, chopped salad, veggies and hummus.

Friday: Earlier in the year TheHub and I went to a fundraiser for the local Parkinson's group. One of the items in the silent auction was a gift certificate including dinner for 6 at Food Bar. I purchased it thinking about the upcoming family visit, so we made reservations early in the week for dinner for the 7 of us. Oh wow was it ever delicious!
Rack of lamb, grouper, mussels, roasted chicken, gnocchi, oysters on the half shell, crab claws, tomato salads, shishito peppers, Caesar salad, house salad, seared tuna, Basque cheese cake, chocolate pots de creme, caramel toffee doughnuts, lavender pound cake, lemon meringue pie. If we had more I have forgotten what it was, but we definitely got our money's worth, and came home with 1/2 of two entrees.

Saturday: Son1's family had never seen Son2's house (bought right before the pandemic) and they wanted everyone to come there for dinner. Their home is so cute and everything, including their back yard, was party ready for guests.
Ziti, tossed salad, rolls, strawberry cake (Cookies for Son1 who is allergic to strawberries)  

Sunday: We took Son1 and family to the airport, came home and crashed for a bit. We decided dinner would be leftovers form Friday night's dinner.
Lamb with chickpeas and pawpaw dew peppers, mussels in buerre blanc sauce over ramen, watermelon

Now our life will return to it's mostly boring state and we will return to having a planned menu. (which really means nothing since I am always changing the plan anyway) 

This is what should be happening this week:
1. Leftover peas, squash, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, cornbread
2. Grilled burgers and fixings, sweet potato fries
3. Greek chicken, rice pilaf, Greek green beans, tossed salad
4. Steak, tossed salad, rolls
5. Braised duck breast, mashed potatoes, spring greens, possibly asparagus
6. Huge salad dinner, rolls
7. Toasted cheese sandwiches, slaw

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


21 comments:

  1. You had such fun with Pip. I bet it was hard to see her go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard but I knew it would happen so I enjoyed our time together.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an excellent, and often delicious as well, week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week and there were spots of delicious food, along with nights of so-so meals.

      Delete
  3. It would be hard to keep eating and cooking like company was there. It is satisfying to return to a comfortable routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still mostly eating like company is here, but it is because of leftovers

      Delete
  4. Your home must feel so quiet! Last week wasn't possible, but I definitely want to check out Food Bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food Bar in Cahaba Heights is delicious, but I would recommend making reservations.

      Delete
  5. That's a long stretch to provide food for that many extra people. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preparing food comes pretty easy for me. The clean up__not so much.

      Delete
  6. It all sounds delicious! At least you kept tabs of what you ate; I only had my daughter visiting and I didn't make a note of what we had! :D I am sure you are missing Pip (and the others, too, of course); I hope there will be more frequent visits in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the meals were really good and some were just dinners. I am not a big pizza fan so to me it was just ok.

      Delete
  7. Your meals sounded delicious!!! And your upcoming too. I love sweet potato fries. Unfortunately, I am the only one, so I end up eating them all! Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sweet potato fries too. TheHub is not really that keen on them but he will eat them anyway

      Delete
  8. Lots of great food, and best of all great company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice menu planning. Wish I could have been there for Saturday's ziti and the strawberry cake. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't plan...sometimes I did, but never followed through. Ice cream sandwiches sound terrific for the current weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like such a fun time! I've made homemade ice cream sandwiches, and good as they are, I doubt if I'll make them again -- I can buy really good commercial ones.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.