Translate

Monday, October 24, 2022

Winning at Dinner? Nope

I make plans and plans are followed__or not. We eat and regardless of the plan the meals come and go

What was planned:
1. Leftover steak, leftover mashed potatoes, leftover tossed salad, leftover birthday cake
2. Puerto Rican rice and beans, coleslaw, wacky apple cake
3. Sausage casserole, tossed salad, Brussels sprouts
4. Unstuffed pepper casserole, (tons of small peppers need to be picked before a forecast frost) coleslaw, cooked carrots
5. Chop Suey,  rice, spinach salad, lavender cookie with vanilla ice cream
6. Vegetable soup or chili, cornbread, coleslaw
7. Carolina hamburger, air fryer French fires or sweet potato fries
 
What really happened:
Monday: We had leftovers from the birthday steak dinner, and you know those horrible packets of brown gravy mix? Yep, I used one of those.
Leftover steak bites over mashed potatoes and gravy, leftover tossed salad

Tuesday: Today was a use up some peppers day. My crisper was filled with them
Deconstructed stuffed bell pepper, broccoli, coleslaw

Wednesday: We had prepared food in every nook and corner of the fridge, but TheHub wanted to go out to eat. I really did not feel like it but we went anyway.
Baked potato from The Purple Onion

Thursday: This was in the fridge after my day of cooking. It was as good of a night as any to eat it. It was actually quite good and is also delicious for breakfast.
Sausage rice casserole, coleslaw, apple spice wacky cake 

Friday  Another straight from the refrigerator meal. Woo Hoo!
Vegetable beef soup, cornbread

Saturday: DIL2 and TGS came over to watch the ball game and have a quick dinner. Comfort food all the way!
Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup

Sunday: The meal was unplanned but we harvested the last of the okra and it needed to be cooked.
Lady peas, okra, tomato slices

Now on to what I plan (just a suggestion really) for this week:
1. Chicken pot pie, tossed salad
2. Puerto Rican beans and rice, coleslaw
3 Italian sausage with sautéed peppers, onions and tomatoes,  biscuits
4. Cauliflower au gratin, green beans, cucumber tomato and onion salad
5. Carolina hamburger, sweet potato fries
6. Vegetable soup or chili and cornbread
7. Out to eat

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all!


34 comments:

  1. I haven't had Peurto Rican beans and rice in ages! A former colleague always brought for potluck and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to have it this week because the beans are cooked and waiting to be used.

      Delete
  2. When I have a plan, it does not happen. We just have food. We did have prepared food all over the refrigerator, so I am suggesting eating the bits to get the dishes out of the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do a lot of use it up meals. They are rarely what we really want to eat, but it does get stuff out of the refrigerator.

      Delete
  3. No plan, really, not even a vague one. This morning DH thought lasagna sounded good, so I made one. There are enough leftovers for another night. At some point I will make risotto, as I have some green onions I need to use. I'll also probably make some sort of slow cooker chicken. I baked a pumpkin pie on Friday, though. (The last of that was eaten tonight.) I'm really off cooking, but it fnally, FINALLY rained, and is feeling like fall. The weather has me feeling like making some special fall/winter foods. To that end, I told a kid to pick up a box of each type of Chex cereal on his way back from class tonight so I could make Chex Mix. I think this week I will soak my fruit in rum for my fruitcakes, and get them baked so they get a nice, long feeding. We LOVE a nice, rich, dark, rum soaked, fruit filled fruitcake. A kid also bought marzipan so we could try icing one of them...I just need to find pretty, edible Christmas decorations for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.nycake.com/candy-chocolate-cookies-macarons I have ordered form here before. They have a bigger selection than I can find locally.

      Delete
  4. No plans here. Which at least means that there is something I don't fail at...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you don't follow the plan, you make good meal plans! I had to look up what a Carolina hamburger was and it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it somewhere online and thought is sounded good enough to include in the menu plan.

      Delete
  6. I looked up Puerto Rican beans - another version of dried beans that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made them before and they were delicious. I hope these will be.

      Delete
  7. I keep noticing Carolina hamburger. I'm wondering what makes it a Carolina burger. I can google it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is basically a burger with a coleslaw topping and slightly different seasonings

      Delete
  8. I'd never heard of a Carolina burger, but one look and I'm right there! But first, however, I'm back to Keto 101; I want to lose 5 lbs. before Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy Sola buns from Publix in the freezer section (6 grams carbs per bun)

      Delete
  9. How do you make the u stuff pepper casserole? It sounds good! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut the peppers in strips and put them on the bottom of a casserole pan. I mixed ground beef with rice, an egg, chili sauce, salt and pepper and spread it over the pepper slices. Then I just baked it until the meat was done and the peppers were soft.

      Delete
  10. I have a friggen crate full of green peppers. As they can upset my stomach, I am careful how I use them. I guess I will start giving them away as I have frozen as many as I can use. Want the wacky apple cake recipe. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
      1 Cup Sugar
      1 tsp Baking soda
      1/2 tsp Salt
      1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
      5 tablespoons Vegetable oil
      1 Cup Water
      1 tsp vanilla extract

      I used this recipe for vanilla wacky cake, but upped the vinegar from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon, added cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a dash of cloves to the dry ingredients, then mixed in one finely chopped apple after combining all the wet ingredients. I served it plain the first night, then rewarmed art the second night with a scoop of butter pecan ice cream on top of it.
      I think if I make it again I might make a maple flavored butter cream icing.

      Delete
  11. Sausage rice casserole sounds good. I made roast beef, mashed potatoes, and broccoli for supper on Saturday. Sweet Cheeks did not show up to dine with me so I'm eating leftovers.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer that he did not come for dinner, but leftovers are not a bad thing to have.

      Delete
  12. Right now I am hooked on Taco Soup. This week I will make a double batch. I think I like it better than chili and it is a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely day. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've followed the plan perfectly this week, which tells you I'm not cooking a whole lot :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your menu sounds so good, Anne. We have leftovers of either BBQ or Chili today, so no cooking for me today. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.