Translate

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Abounding Joy

There are weeks that happen with so many joys it is almost impossible to recount them all. This past week was one of those weeks. I laughed more than I have in a long long time, and it felt great.
A beautiful view, perfect weather with fun new friends is a true blessing. 



Saturday: We started our girls trip to the beach and made it to the tank farm on 65 until traffic virtually stopped . We finally inched over and managed to get off the interstate in Alabaster stayed on the back roads until we were almost in Clanton. Once back on we managed to stay in traffic snarls until we hit Montgomery where it was just slow traffic the rest of the way to the gulf, making the trip to the beach the longest I have ever driven.  We kept wondering where all the traffic was coming from only to find out the schools in Georgia were out for fall break, and every person in the state was headed for an early October vacation. (Once home I realized half of Tennessee was out for fall break and many districts in Alabama were out for the same. No wonder the traffic was so bad.)
We grabbed dinner at Harpoon Harry's (less than stellar) then hit the grocery store for a few essentials like Diet Coke and Hershey's toffee chunks. If you have not tried them yet,  do yourself a favor and buy some as soon as possible.

Sunday: We woke, the the weather was just drop dead gorgeous, and the gulf was calm and clear. Sissie and Kim stayed at the condo while Sluggy and I went to the grocery store to pick up some things either we had forgotten of were not available at Walmart's grocery.  (Who does not have cucumbers or tomatoes? Walmart) Afterward we stopped at the fish market to pick up some shrimp and smoked tuna dip. (I think I was the only one who loved it, but that was fine with me) The rest of the day was spent either on the beach,  resting, or sunning.
Kim cooked a delicious shrimp and pasta dish.  Thank you Kim!
We rode up the beach to grab some ice cream, but the place we were going was closed, so we went to Publix and Kim and Sluggy grabbed a variety of delicious ice creams.

Monday: We drove over to Destin for some outlet shopping. I am not much of a shopper so I sat in the parking lot while waiting for the phone call to pick Sluggy up. Then she and I explored Destin while the professional shoppers continued doing their damage.
We drove around stopping at  McDonald's to get Sluggy a half cut tea. Naturally she got out of the car at the drive through window and found a handful of change on the ground.
When it was time to pick up Kim and Sissie (both serious shoppers) we went to a little oyster bar and grill with Kim's SIL who lives in Destin.
After lunch it was time to head back to Panama City Beach. There was a ton of conversation and laughs before eating the leftover shrimp and pasta. 
Kim's SIL and BIL drove over to see Kim, while Sissie, Sluggy and I sat on the balcony talking. 
Kim joined us after her in laws left and though I will not relay the topics we discussed, I will only say there was some riotous laughter. "Bless Her Heart"



Tuesday: Unless you call going out for doughnuts doing something major, the day was filled with sunning and/or beach time and eating.
Sluggy bought some steaks and we grilled, had more laughs and hit the sack.

Wednesday: First off kudos to the young men who helped us manage our overloaded hotel cart up the ramp to the parking deck.
Home again, home again! We stopped in Enterprise Alabama to admire the statue of the boll weevil and look through some shops. ( At least the shoppers looked. ) It is a quaint, very neat, and tidy downtown area. If you get a chance to visit Enterprise, enjoy the downtown area, but know in advance the boll weevil statue in underwhelming. Now the Mcweevil  at McDonald's  ( a mashup of Ronald McD and a boll weevil) was a sight to behold. Not necessarily a good sight, but a sight nonetheless.
After we left Enterprise we got caught in torrential rains that lasted for about 30 miles of white knuckle driving. I was very thankful that the car ahead of us had on it's hazard lights on and was driving slow enough that I could follow it., I could not see the road at all, but I could see the taillights. I was overjoyed when we ran out of the rain. Whew!

Thursday: Everyone left and I was a little lonely. I got the sheets washed and packed away for the next guests, then TheHub and I got Greek chicken plates from the annual greek Food Festival. Next year I am ordering the pastichio, because I thought the chicken was not as flavorful as it has been in years past. The spanakopita and tiropita  were as delicious as always, but we forgot to get baklava. I could run back down before the festival ends Saturday night to buy some, but I probably won't.

Friday: This was TheHub's birthday. I could pretend like I had done all this work around the house to make his birthday festive, but I didn't.  Instead we walked across the street to our neighbor's patio and had a class of wine (or 2)  and some great conversation before going out to eat. It was not his birthday celebration though. We are doing that on Saturday, with Son2, DIL2, and TGS..

Look for your joys: they are always out there, even on weeks that are not overflowing with them like this week was.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

p.s.  If you are ever around Sluggy and Kim and want to amuse yourself, salt the area with a few coins. 


37 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! Sounds like you had a great time! Glad the weather was nice and the company even better. Happy birthday wishes to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell TheHub you wished him a happy birthday. We are actually celebrating his day today/tonight

      Delete
  2. Pathetic -- 4+ years here and we've still not been to the Gulf. I'm so glad you were able to fully enjoy your girls' trip! That's on my short list. Happy birthday *and happy 'new year'* to your Hubs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK there is no reason for you not to skip down to the beach! It is so pretty there.

      Delete
  3. Roll Tide today! Sounds like y’all’s beach trip was fabulous!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll Tide, but I admit I am worried about the game today.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if Kim will "get" the photo....snort* You are a fabulous hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the trip update! I was hoping to find out how it went ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much of a shopper either, but the Destin Outlet mall, as well as Sandestin sure did draw me in when we had our place in SRB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need nothing and want even less. Shopping is a chore for me, though if TheHub had been with me I could have knocked his birthday presents out.

      Delete
  7. Love that you had such a happy week! My happy moment for the week was when my 16 year old got his drivers license. Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the freedom having another driver in the house offered.

      Delete
  8. Little Penpen here (couldn’t sign in). Your trip sounds wonderful! Lots of good food and fun, and I’d have love to see the ladies scrambling for the loose change on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The change battle was worth every cent I put on the floor.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had fun! Time spent with friends who make you laugh is wonderful! Happy birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is the greatest gift anyone can give. Thank you, I told TheHub you sent him birthday wishes and he said thank you also.

      Delete
  10. A fantastic time! Thanks for sharing it with us. Yes, count your joys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I lived in New Orleans, we had a girls trip to the same beach. Lot's of fun ensued then, too. Glad you were able to get away even if the traffic didn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like you had a wonderful fun-filled week with friends and food. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a "what goes here, stays here" girls trip, but so much fun. Happy Birthday to your husband. Everything feels low key here and I'm good with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub thanks you for the birthday greeting!
      I am back to low key and it is all just fine with me too!

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous break you had. I can't even begin to imagine the kinds of conversation that were had!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful time with lots of laughter and good food and drink. (except Harpoon Harry's). Glad you made it through all the traffic and rain.
    Happy belated birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I can do without ever going to Harpoon Harry's again. Thank you from TheHub!

      Delete
  16. There's nothing like laughter! Cheers to an amazing weekend!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle. Laughter really is the best medicine!

      Delete
  17. What a great time you had! Happy Birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.