Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2024

Lunch Trial

 A few weeks ago I was griping mentioning that I was going to be in lunch mode and was looking for some new and easy things for a handy do-it-yourself meal. I have seen that some people use beans instead of tuna for vegetarian sandwich spread. As I was looking through the pantry for the makings for saffron rice for dinner, I happened on a can of garbanzo beans that had been loitering for a while. I figured today was as good of a day as any to try it and see if it would be an option to keep in the fridge.

I am kind of funny about recipes and honestly believe most of them are just a suggestion*. The following is my freeform trial making it.


1 can garbanzo beans, well drained
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 tablespoons diced celery
2 gerkins, finely chopped
seasoned salt (a shake or 2)
nutritional yeast** (about 1/2 teaspoon)
mayonnaise to taste (I used a little over a tablespoon)
Durkee's*** special sauce ( one healthy squeeze)

In a medium bowl, mash the garbanzo beans to your personal desired consistency. I am a tactile eater so I left mine on the chunkier side and it was more like shredded chicken, in look and feel.
Once you have the beans as you like them add veggies, seasoned salt, and nutritional yeast and stir to combine before adding the mayonnaise and Durkee's. Mix well and it is ready to eat as is, but is a little better after living in the refrigerator for an hour or so.

That is pretty much all there is to it. I know it would be good on bread for a sandwich but I am not a huge sandwich eater, especially at lunch. Instead I ate mine on a plate with crackers and celery hearts.
I was actually pleased with the way it tasted and also the mouthfeel. This made enough for 2 generous servings and it is something I will make again and I can see us having it a couple of times a month.

TheHub is still transitioning toward retirement (even though he is officially retired) and has been in the office everyday for two weeks. He says this is the last week, (I will believe it when I see it) so lunches should become a reality soon.

If you give it a try let me know what you did differently.



*Some baking actually requires following a recipe

** I mixed everything except the nutritional yeast together and tasted it. It did not have any real flavor so I added the nutritional yeast. Huge difference!

*** Durkee's sauce has become very hard to find here and it is something I always try to have on hand.  When I finally located it I got 2 bottles. Amazingly shortly after I had bought it, Son1 called (the one who lives in Portland). He was at Safeway when he saw some, and it went home with him He was so excited because he said he was able to finally have a satisfying ham sandwich. Probably it was just reminiscent of what he grew up eating.
When I was on the hunt for it, I asked The Pig manager if they had any. They didn't at that time but the last time I was in the store, there is was, on the shelf. And that is what I love about my local Pig!

26 comments:

  1. I think blackeye peas are good in things like that, and black beans. I have never had Durkees sauce. Is it spicy or what?
    Tommy had a cheese sandwich heated with onions and chopped bell peppers. If I leave chopped food in the refrigerator, he eats those making his cheese sandwich more nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the taste of black eyed peas and black beans, but I don't think I would like them visually in this. And the old saying about we first eat with our eyes is true for me.

      Delete
    2. LOL...I don't like the taste of garbanzo beans and they look like hominy, something I hate. So, my eyes are offended right off the bat.

      Delete
  2. That looks good! I made a simple tomato cracker salad, and also a squash casserole, and spaghetti for kid. Other than doing a homemade dressing for a wedge salad at home, and adding blue cheese from Aldi, I have been having mostly watermelon or Chilton County peaches , and maybe a tomato sandwich from the a farmer’s market. It is too hot to cook. I did get muscadine grapes also at the farmer’s market. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to put my glasses on when I comment… lol. Cindy in the South

      Delete
    2. I am right there with you on having to have my glasses on when I comment or post.
      We have been having a ton of watermelon, peaches and pears this summer. We may or may not have even stopped at Peach Park for a fried pie on our way home from Daphne.

      Delete
  3. It sounds good - and I hope it is a partial solution to your lunch time dilemma. Lunch is fend for yourself time here. Thank fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to become fend for yourself time here, but I will at least have some options in the fridge.

      Delete
  4. Sounds tasty! I have a couple cans of garbanzo beans I need to use. I haven't heard of Durkee's sauce, but looks like our Kroger sells it. Does it take the place of mayo/mustard? Good on burgers and sandwiches etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Durkee sauce is a slightly sweet mustard/mayo-ish plus spices. I guess it has the consistency of a cooked dressing rather than blended like mayo.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried garbanzo beans as a substitute for tuna salad, but, it does sound good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never tried it either, but ti was pretty dang good.

      Delete
  6. I'm like everyone else. Tell me about Durkee's Sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with it, and so did my kids so it is a normal thing for us. It is a tad sweet with a very creamy consistency. I think it might be mayo and dijon based but I am not positive. It is not hot but it definitely has a "taste".

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a name like that, how can I not put Durkee's in my cart?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite things about reading all of the blogs is learning what everyone else considers a staple. It's so much fun! Never heard of Durkees, but definitely open to looking for it! I'm all about the leftovers for lunch, and had a sad day today. My lettuce is coming to an end, so DH ran to Home Depot & bought six giant lettuce mixed plants & got them all planted. My salad lunches will continue! I like mine with cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, garden tomatoes, any random cheese & protein we have on hand. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny what everyone considers a staple. My pantry and food storage is outrageously full and I keep and use things that are not typical.
      I used to have a neighbor who would ask to borrow the most outlandish things just to see if I had them.

      Delete
  10. It looks quite appetizing and moreish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised as how tasty it became adfter the addition of nutritional yeast.

      Delete
  11. I've heard of "tuna salad" made with beans but always thought it sounded a bit....beany.
    Your solid review makes me think I should try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty good and would be easily adaptable to personal tastes.

      Delete
  12. I am definitely going try this. I think TBG would love it for lunch. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am honest I have not tried this with TheHub yet. So the jury is still out as far as he is concerned. Of course if the options in the fridge are limited he might just have to put on his big boy pants and eat it anyway. He is not really picky about anything other than having leftovers.

      Delete
  13. Rather then garbanzo beans, you might like cannellini beans (Great Northern beans). White and rather mild in flavor. I use them when I get tired of the garbanzos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like great northern beans, I just do not ever have them on hand like I do garbanzos. I am sure they would make the final product much. creamier

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.