Translate

Friday, June 15, 2018

Friday and All That Jazz

We had the privilege  of meeting today's featured artist, Dan Chmielinski, in the fall of 2012 when he was a beginning student at Juilliard. Son3 and Dan had met previously at a Juilliard summer camp in Utah and we had heard a great deal about him before the formal introduction. We visited the school regularly and saw many sets over the years. It was great fun watching Dan perform from the beginning to the end of his school career. 

We have since had the pleasure of seeing him in Birmingham a couple of times when he was touring as the bassist with a young pianist. (Truth be known, we went to both performances just to see Dan play!)

He is quite an accomplished musician as well as a genuinely nice guy!  So meet and enjoy the music of this very talented, over-all great guy, Dan "Chimy" Chmielinski. Also check out his schedule. If he is ever gigging near you or you are near a venue he is playing go see him. You won't be disappointed.



Where are you originally from
I grew up in the suburbs just north of Chicago.

What inspired your love of music
A variety of things. My parents were (still are) huge music enthusiasts when I was growing up. They exposed me to so many different genres. Everything from folk music to prog rock, it was always playing throughout the house and in long car rides.

How old were you when you first began playing an instrument and what instrument was it
I picked up the bass at age 3. At that time, it was a half size cello strung with bass guitar strings, but it did the trick.

What is your instrument of choice and how many others can you play
Bass is my main, both upright and electric, but I am proficient in keyboard instruments and do a fair amount of work on synthesizers.

Tell me about your music education? (lessons or self taught)
I studied classically ages 3-16, but I was originally self-taught in jazz. I went on to pursue a jazz degree at the Juilliard School, both undergraduate and masters.

What inspires you when you are writing or performing a song
I love the idea of spontaneity. There are constantly little moments of interaction or unrehearsed events in a performance that always inspire me. When writing, I try to think of specific people; not only the specific people who will be performing it, but specific people in my life that embody the spirit of the pieces.

Besides jazz what is your favorite music genre
Big fan of late 90’s hip hop, but classical music is a never ceasing journey of discovery. There’s such a diverse and huge body of work to explore.

Can you give us the name of a couple or three albums/songs you would recommend
I’ll try and go from different genres:
-Jazz: I recently re-discovered the album “Cedar Walton - First Set.” This was a record that was recommended to me by bassist Rufus Reid when Cedar passed away in 2013. It’s such an amazing album full of those spontaneous moments I was talking about earlier.
-R&B: “Gumbo - PJ Morton.” I love this album. In terms of structure and overall flow, it’s one of the most thoughtful, high quality productions in the genre.
-Classical/Folk: The Goat Rodeo Sessions - Musicianship at its finest. Such an incredible group.

What is your favorite or most unforgettable music memory
So many to choose from! The one that comes to mind immediately is playing the Hollywood Bowl. When that stage turns around and you just see a wall of 10,000+ people, an indescribable feeling washes over you instantly.

If you were not a musician what would you love to be doing
I love aviation, so I could see myself being a pilot. Maybe slightly more likely would be a professional photographer.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years
I’m hoping to be in a situation where I am able to create frequently in a multitude of genres, mainly jazz, classical and scoring films. I hope to have built a network and rapport among piers that allows me to take on whatever projects inspire me most.

What is your favorite food
Depends on what course, but nothing beats a perfectly done steak.

What food do you think of when you are listening to the song you sent?
Well I definitely think of Gumbo when listening to PJ Morton! Cedar Walton is something hearty, like maybe a slab of baby back ribs. Goat Rodeo Sessions always make me think of a picnic for some reason, so maybe a PB&J sandwich.

How/when can people hear your music
I’m touring pretty regularly, but you can also find me in NYC most often as well as on the web. (YouTube, Soundcloud, Facebook etc See links below)

YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJZaK2soaxcR31pFG_zyF9g
Four by Four Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m915sTU2jQ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChimyMusic
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/chimyonacloud
Twitter: https://twitter.com/chimyonthebass
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ChimyOnTheBass

Any cd's, music videos or ep's coming out?
Yes! I’m most excited about an album that I recorded back in January with Chase Baird, Brad Mehldau, Nir Felder and Antonio Sanchez entitled, “A Life Between.” I just heard the final master and it is without a doubt more than any other project I’ve done, the thing I’m most excited about. That release will be in September 2018


Anything else you want to add or say?

I think that just about covers it all!


Thanks Dan for letting us enter your world.  Please enjoy this video, it's fantastic!   Can't wait to hear the new album!




And yes I know I should have a recipe to go along with this, but I am headed to the lake for the weekend and just don't feel like cooking. Come back Monday and there may be a recipe for Gumbo or perhaps a perfectly cooked steak with a couple of surprises. 
:

14 comments:

  1. It is always lovely to see young talent emerging. And no, I am not discounting the work associated with that emergence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is nice to see beginning careers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about talented, creative, and bright young people my daughter's age. It gives me hope for her future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me hope too! Maybe your daughter could listen to some specific jazz song and create whatever image iit evokes. I could use it for a jazz post

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a great idea. I asked her but she said she doesn't have time to do something like that right now. She is currently working on a big collaboration project in addition to her library job and has no spare time. Although we live in the same house, I only see her if I go into her room or when she comes out to eat or leaves for work. Creatives are weird that way sometimes.

      Delete
    3. The offer stands. If she would like to do it sometime later I would love to use it as a post

      Delete
  4. I seem a theme. There was always music playing in the houses that these musicians grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I will look for his name being featured and see if we might get some tickets t the TC orchestras if he is in town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is fun to watch and better to hear plus he is a really nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy hearing about the making of musicians. I would like to see a picture of a three-year-old with a bass. I cannot paint or play music, so I am just left out. My four brothers and sisters were all musically and artistically inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fun to watch or hear the back story. I can play some and dabble with charcoal but I am not an artist in either disciplines

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I would be interested to see a JAZZ themed menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. I will do that one Friday (if I feel like cooking)

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.