Translate

Monday, June 18, 2018

The Perfect Steak

Last week's Friday and All That Jazz post was all about Dan who said you can't beat a perfectly cooked steak. Since I did not take the time to cook anything to go along with the jazz day and because it was Father's Day yesterday, I decided to cook TheHub a steak and kill two birds with one stone.  So here I give you my interpretation of a perfect steak.

Your favorite cut steak

Compound Butter


4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 teaspoons chopped thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dry red wine
dash salt

Have the butter at room temperature in a small bowl and stir it with a fork until it is silky smooth. Add everything but the wine and mix well. The add the wine and a dash of salt and stir like mad to incorporate the wine into the butter. You can make this early in the day and chill it in a covered container in the fridge until the steak is done, but I always forget about advance prep. It works either way but pre-made is definitely easier.





Steak Topping
1 carton button mushrooms, cleaned
1/2 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Add the olive oil to a sauté pan and wilt the mushrooms and onions. Add the beef stock and thyme. Cook until the onions are tender but not mushy, then add the wine and salt and pepper. Cook until the liquid reduces by half.







Cook the steak on a grill until it reaches the perfect doneness. I am a mid rare type of gal but I understand everyone has their personal preferences and will not dismiss anyone's choice. Immediately when the steak is don plop about 2 teaspoons of the butter on the steak. We generally let the steak rest about 5 minutes so the butter will begin to melt, then I lightly spread it over the entire steak.










 Serve with a portion of the steak topping on top of the meat and enjoy. Delicious!
                             And this is my interpretation of a perfectly cooked steak!



                           (I forgot to take a picture until the steak was partially eaten. Sorry!)

18 comments:

  1. Oh man! I think I may go to heaven if I make and eat this. I absolutely need to try the butter and th sauce the next grill night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner would love that steak. So long as I kept the funghi away from it.
    I like your butter idea too. I have never thought to add wine to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make compound butters a lot with different combinations for different things, but I almost always add a splash of red or white wine to it.

      Delete
  3. That looks incredible! We usually pit a dash of olive oil on ours but I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be still my soul! You had me drooling at "mushroom." I could eat the gravy and mushrooms and be sooo happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mushrooms too! But the combination of everything is very good!

      Delete
  5. My husband got up and crossed the room to read this post. The title certainly caught his eye as well as the butter on top of the steak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.... this looks SO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's good and it's easy, but worth the extra steps.

      Delete
  7. Yum! Now you have me wanting steak! Wonder if I can stretch the already over-spent budget to include a couple of steaks?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my... that looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.