Translate

Monday, June 25, 2018

Liar, Lair, Pants on Fire

I know I told you to come back Monday for a look at a summer supper, and I truly intended to cook one Sunday night, but___.

We hung around the lake place until after 5 and I was in no mood to go to the grocery store after 6 then come home and cook everything, so I didn't. Not doing it tonight either. It has been stormy most of the day, and I had broccoli that needed cooking which resulted in broccoli cheese soup. Normally we do not eat soup during the summer, but we have a/c and I have on shorts and bare feet, so I am cool.

I will share this insanely easy method of making this soup which would have been better in the fall, but sometimes I just have to take the path of least resistance and go with what TheUniverse dictates. I am doing that Keto thing and TheHub isn't, but all I have to do is heat up some rolls and he will be fine.

2 teaspoons olive oil   
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chopped broccoli
3/4 cup cauliflower "rice"
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, made into a slurry with 1/3 cup water

Put the oil in the bottom of a large soup pot. Add the garlic and cook on medium just long enough for the garlic to wilt (about a minute) Add the broth and the cream and stir well, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan for any garlic that might be stuck there. Add the broccoli and cook until it is soft. Toss in the cauli rice (raw cauliflower that has been whacked into rice size pieces in the food processor, or stuff you buy in a big freezer bag at Trader Joe's). Cook until soft. Pour the arrowroot slurry into the liquid and stir to incorporate then slowly add the cheese, stirring very well between each addition (I did about 1/4 cup at a time and let it melt and blend before adding the next bit). Serve hot and enjoy!

TheHub added some chips and crackers which satisfied his non Keto eating plan, so we were both fine, the broccoli was salvaged and I managed to stay Keto compliant, plus it tasted good. Oh, I used a super sharp white cheddar (cause that is what I had on hand, so my soup was creamier looking than one made with yellow cheese would have been.


As for me, after dinner I am going to summon my inner Gershwin brothers, put my suit on and swim cause it's Summertime.




18 comments:

  1. The soup sounds good. Enjoy your swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was good but the swim was better, followed by reading on the screened porch (it's a mosquito thing) while I dripped dry(ish)

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious! And, I love that song, always have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love broccoli soup and it has to be even better with cheese! Soup and a swim sounds like a relaxed summer evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend for most of them to be relaxed. I love swimming at night.

      Delete
  4. I don't mind soup in the summer, so I'll check to see how much broccoli we have in the fridge. Something tells me that it might need cooked, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those vegetables are sneaky critters, fine one day and almost gone the next.!

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks yum and sounds perfect for a keto diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and fortunately TheHub is not picky about what he eats so he is being a good sport about the keto thing.

      Delete
  6. Who wants to cook when it is bloody hot out? We had soup last night too but from frozen that I had made a few months ago, with toast lol. Your broccoli soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer is No One! Except for grilling things and I am fine with that!

      Delete
  7. Oh I like that the recipe uses cauliflower rice! Yum! Soup is good year round in my books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We generally don't have soup in the summer because it is so dang hot here, but it was fine and it was easy, so I am calling it a success.

      Delete
  8. We don't have hot soup as often in warm weather as we do the rest of the year, but we do have it. As you point out, a/c and shorts. :-) This looks really good -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind soup in the summer, even without a/c. Your broccoli cheese soup sounds very good. Another of my favorite songs and singers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.