Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Conjuring Havana

Last night was a stay at home cold weather night. Usually we have something like soup or chili, but I really was not in the mood for either. My mouth was craving something with a little heat and intense flavors.

Last week I ran to The Pig to grab a couple of heads of cauliflower while they were on sale, and just perused the butcher shop. They had a big sale on sirloin tip roasts, which I had missed when reading their flyer. I have so much in the freezer that I have not been looking at any chicken or meat sales. I kind of did a double take then one leapt into my cart so I was forced to buy it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Now I had this beautiful piece of beef in the fridge and visions of deliciousness while I was meal planning for the week. I needed to cook it today and thought I was going to have to take Mom to the dentist (that's what she told me). I knew I could throw everything in the crock pot and it would cook while I was carting Mom around.

I woke and dressed for the day, put the roast in the slow cooker, called Mom to confirm her appointment time and see where else we needed to go today. Oops, she forgot to call and tell me it would be tomorrow. Oh, and the funeral of a friend I was planning on going to? Forget that because her appointment is at the same time. ( I missed another friends funeral a couple of weeks ago because she had an appointment for a hair cut, but if you ask her she will adamantly tell you she does not need help)

The roast was cooking so we were bound to eat it tonight. I guess I need to find something different to throw in the crock pot tomorrow.
This is the roast sitting on cauliflower mashed "potatoes. TheHub had his on real potatoes and it                                                                      looked much better.



Cuban Pot Roast
1 2(ish) pound roast. I used a sirloin tip so it was not a true pot roast, but still worked. It just had to         be carved instead of pulled.
1 jar salsa. I used a hot salsa because we like heat, but you do what works for you.
1 small can  chopped chilis
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground plack pepper
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt to taste (I leave it out and let everyone salt at the table cause I am not a salt fan)

Brown the roast on both sides in a small pan. Remove the browned roast and ut into the slow cooker. Pour the salsa into the pan to deglaze it, then pour straight from the pan into the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for about 6 hours. At the halfway point, turn the roast over and continue cooking.  When it is done depending of what cut you use, you can either shred it or slice it. If you shred it in the crock pot all the delicious juices will naturally mix with the beef. Just stir it around a bit to mix it all together. If you care it like I did ladle the juices out into a gravy boat and pour it on top of the sliced beef. Either way something good is about to happen in your mouth.

17 comments:

  1. Great flavors in the pot roast for sure, love meat with Cuban flavors. That's great of you to "help" your mom out so much, you are a good cook and a good daughter! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuban flavors are my favorite. Given the option I will always choose Cuban/Dominican food. On any given day Mom thinks I am either a great daughter or the worst in the world.

      Delete
  2. Your pot roast sounds good! Much better than the one that I cooked, the other day. I think I might go buy a jar of salsa and see if I can rescue my pot roast!

    Oh, dear, no, of course your Mom doesn't need help; just someone to take her where she needs to go when she needs to go. I'm sorry you have to miss your friend's funeral. Is there any possibility of rescheduling her appointments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would have been a possibility but Mom needs things done at her convenience. It is just the way it is.

      Delete
  3. One pot dishes work so well don't they? And the leftovers are frequently very, very tasty.
    I am sorry that you had to miss a friend's funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crock pots are the greatest. I'm gonna have to try the roast with salsa. I think that would be a hit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing would be choosing mild salsa and mild canned chilis to suit your taste.

      Delete
  5. I love Cuban food, but have never made as not sure of spices. I could give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know Anne, but I think that having that pot roast over mashed potatoes would not look any more delicious than it does in your photo. I already told you that you are far more adventurous than I with your keto recipes. I have printed this out already and have it in my keto binder. Thank you for that. Now...what is grilled keto bread?

    Can your sister or friend of the family take charge of your mom so you may attend the funeral? It would be a shame to have to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just butter one side of the almond flour keto bread, then slap ii on a hot griddle, butter the other side then flip it over. It is nice and toasty but most of all buttery.
      I did miss the funeral. My sister was at work and that only leaves me.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking dish! And I love the Cuban flavors. We finally talked my father into entering assisted living, and that's been a big load off our minds. Still a lot to do with him, but it's easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to get Mom to consent to some help during the mornings right now and you would think we asking her to let us stick bamboo stakes under her fingernails.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.