Translate

Monday, January 21, 2019

How Do You Make God Laugh

As usual I make a plan then I make God laugh. My plans and what really happens are usually far apart. I guess that means my normal is to make plans and then punt them away. At least it seems that way to me. So this begins another week and another hunt through the freezer to see what I will thaw, change plans,  and then have to cook so I can refreeze it in a reformatted form.

This is what I planned:
1. Ham and cauliflower au gratin, green beans
2. Chili, coleslaw
3. Mexicanish casserole, broccoli. cucumber tomato and onion salad
4. Meat loaf, green beans, cauli mash (me) mashed potatoes (TheHub)
5. Spaghetti with meat sauce, noodles (TheHub) zucchini spirals (me) tossed salad, rolls (TheHub) keto bread (me)
6. Keto fried rice, green beans, marinated radishes
7. Tater tot casserole (TheHub)  random leftovers (me)

This is what really happened: Monday: (see meal 2) For the first time in a while Mom actually had plans with someone other than My Beloved Sister or me. I had until noon before I even had to consider her wants, needs, or demands. Hooray! I managed to stay at home and tackle some decluttering and also got a couple of things cooked for the week. I was even able to start a huge pot of chili early in the day and let it simmer all day long, so when late afternoon came and it was time for me to go to Mom's for her breathing treatment, bill writing, and general daily assistance, our dinner was ready. Win!

Chili, coleslaw, fritos and oyster crackers (TheHub) cheese and sour cream (me)

Tuesday: Mom had plans again today with a friend to go to a seniors event at our church. They have a program and lunch which she actually enjoyed. Afterward she was tired and just wanted to hang out, then was asleep when I was ready to do her treatment.  As a result I got a ton of stuff done in the house, but I am tired of hearing Marie Kondo's little tiny, quiet voice in my head. Dang, that woman is creating a monster in me as I am going through every single thing in my room right now, with plans to Kondofy my whole house this year. Well almost. I am not holding everything I am getting rid of and thanking it for it's service, nor am I touching everything to see if it sparks joy. Some things you just need to have, and some things you just want to have.  'Nuf said.  Her methods, otherwise, are really spot on. I found I have been folding all my clothes the wrong way my entire life and now my drawer space has grown and my things look like 3 B.B.'s inside a garbage can. I have so much space I could go out and buy a lot more!

Ham and potatoes au gratin (TheHub) ham and cauliflower au gratin (me) asparagus, rolls (TheHub)

Wednesday:  (pick a meal, any meal ) Got a call from TheHub at about 2 o'clock saying he had a dinner meeting. I knew it was a possibility so dinner was going to be something lame and easy anyway, but the phone call changed everything.  I looked through the fridge for assorted odds and ends and pieced a meal for one together. I made a broth from 2 porterhouse bones after cutting off about a quarter of a cup of meat. Chopped up some remnants and past their prime veggies. Dinner for one. Except for phone call number 2. TheHub decided to skip the dinner. I had enough soup for one generous serving but not enough for two. He had been wanting to try a new to us restaurant so we decided to go there__until he got home and then he decided he wanted to just stay home.

Leftovers (TheHub)
Fragmented beef vegetable soup for one, with a side of grilled keto "bread" (me)

Thursday: (see meal 3)  The day was wet and cool, and My Beloved Sister took care of Mom's treatment, so I stayed home all day. Still doing the Marie Kondo thing and have yet to finish the bedroom, but I am very close.  I had taken out some chicken thighs and thawed them in the refrigerator a couple of days prior, so I had to cook them and decided the Mexicanish casserole was the most flavorful way I could use them.

Mexicanish casserole, tossed salad, rolls (TheHub) strawberry fluff (me)

Friday: TheHub came home from work and wanted to "do something" which translated into going out to eat to a new to us Mexican place in a neighborhood we would like to move to once Mom no longer lives in her house. (Right now I can be at her front door in 2 1/2 minutes and I feel obligated to remain here to take care of all of her emergencies and non-emergency emergencies).

Something burritoish (TheHub) chicken fajitas (sans tortillas), lime jalapeno coleslaw

Saturday: It was an unseasonably gloomy and seriously rainy day. TheHub worked until about 1, then we went to the lake place to check on it. Before we left for the lake I noticed a couple of cups of egg nog lingering in the fridge and wanted to do something with it.  And on the way home we stopped to get 3 dozen 88 cent eggs from Aldi. It sounded like a breakfast night.

Egg nog pancakes (TheHub), keto egg muffins (both of us) leftover smoked sausage (both) 

Sunday: Went way off course again. We had matinee theater tickets to see Evita . After church we came home and changed clothes than left so we would make it on time, consequently we were really hungry when we got home. Also the NFL playoffs were going on so we wanted something we could eat between the end of game 1 and the beginning of game 2.

Traditional hot dogs, baked beans and chips (TheHub), deconstructed slaw dog (no bun) for me.

What was used? Freezer:
2 packs pre-browned ground chuck
3 small packs ham
1 pack boneless skinless chicken thighs


Pantry and refrigerator:
dehydrated pinto beans
3 cans tomatoes
1 small can chilis
can baked beans
1 can baked beans
assorted herbs and spices
cider vinegar
sugar free strawberry jello
mayo
cream cheese
cheddar cheese
sour cream
monterey jack cheese
Velveeta (leftover from New Year's, used in TheHub's au gratin meal)
2 steak bones and tiny bit of leftover steak
eggs
egg nog
dip

Produce 
1/4 head cauliflower
angel hair cabbage shreds
asparagus
fragments of onion, cauliflower, celery, radish, cherry tomato, and green beans
2bell pepper
1 head romaine lettuce
3 cucumbers
carrots
coleslaw
1 onion
assorted fruits eaten by TheHub

Now let's see what plan I can create then totally ignore this week!
1. Spaghetti and meat sauce, garlic bread hot dog buns (TheHub) meat sauce over spaghetti squash  (me), tossed salad
2. Meatloaf, broccoli, mashed potatoes (TheHub) cauliflower mash (me)
3.Keto Fried rice, with broccoli and snow peas
4. Taco's black beans, rice (TheHub) no shells and cauli rice (me)
5. Cuban pot roast, tossed salad, green beans
6. Herbed chicken and mushrooms, braised cabbage, cucumber slices in yogurt and dill
7. Grilled tuna steaks, veggie kabobs, tossed salad

As usual this may or may not happen and does not allow for any sudden and unexpected dining out. We will see how it goes.

14 comments:

  1. Yea for your mom going out without you and having a good time. Those are moments to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big YAY for your mother finding something she enjoyed which freed up some time for you and gave her a treat at teh same time.
    If God was laughing at your plans, at least is was kind laughter this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if you even plan one meal that gets eaten during the week you're ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either I am a poor planner or a bad follower of plans. Most likely it is the latter!

      Delete
  4. I make the most vague of plans and the big fella still laughs!

    I'm so pleased you are within easy reach of your mum, it must make you both feel more confident about her well being even if it's draining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult sometimes being this close but I am relieved to be able to get to her very quickly. Things are just devolving rapidly and she needs more help.

      Delete
  5. I have been surfing a few keto sites thanks to you (and your recommendation of Dr Berg). I found it so confusing (still do really) but am looking at recipes and was thinking about buying a spiralizer when I realized I probably have 3 already - you know, those gadgets you find at the local "ideal home" fair that works like a treat when the saleswoman does it and I just end up with spiralized knuckles when I try it at home. Will keep trying though as you are inspiring me and keto really does seem to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know about those fair and home show gizmos
      The keto thing does work but you also have to be prepared for some stalls along the way. Right now the scale is not moving and it is a little frustrating, but I know things will change in the next week or so.
      The main thing to remember is no grains, no sugars, no beans or peas (green beans are an exception) no fruit with the exception of berries, olives, avocados and sparse tomato usage, keep net carbs to 25 or under, moderate proteins and high fats. For my vegetables with the exception of very light onion use and radishes I make sure whatever I eat grows above ground

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that your Mom was able to have a couple of outings, which she enjoyed, and which gave you a little time for yourself. You and your sister are good daughters.

    I read the first Marie Kondo book, several years ago, but didn't much care for it. Maybe I should read it again.

    As for meal planning, I think of meal plans as "possibilities" or options. Here's what I have, here's what I can make with them, if I care to! I think you did quite well, following your meal plans, this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the netflix videos to figure out how to Kondofy. I took what works for me and tossed the rest
    You are so right about planned meals being possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I checked in this morning and there were TWO blog posts. That sparked joy. I think I will add you to my side bar this morning, so I will see when your postings become available.

    I could see this week how having a menu plan does really help you out. You pretty much followed it except for switching days around when it was required. You are pretty adventurous when it comes to making recipes. My keto meals are pretty much the same from day to day. I make something for dinner which pretty much serves as lunch the following day. Every once in a while I might throw in some mashed rutabaga or sweet potato for a change up, because cabbage, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower do get tiresome. Zucchini is presently $2 a pound, so I have not been buying that for a while until it comes down closer to $1. All fresh vegetables are too expensive right now (except for root veggies), so I stick mostly with frozen. I will definitely be freezing more of it next summer when prices for fresh are much lower.

    So far I have only got through three of Marie's Netflix videos, and only two of my dresser drawers. I haven't tossed anything yet....just used her method of folding. When I go through ALL of my drawers, then I will decide what goes out. In the meantime, everything LOOKS neat and tidy. That is making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found just using her method of folding increased my drawer space substantially. I am getting rid of clothes almost daily. Things are just not fitting me anymore and I am not keeping them just to have additional clothes. Winter is a short season here so I probably won't even know they are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.