Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Ummm, Ummm, Good Chicken

TheHub has an aversion to chicken, which I think it the most versatile protein out there. He always complains that we have chicken nearly every night, which is so untrue. I will admit in our early marriage we ate chicken all the time, because it was all we could afford, and he might have gone through chicken overload at the time. I will also admit I usually served it baked with rice and green beans. (Again it was an affordability issue)  You have to understand though, now he is close to retirement age and our kids are all grown and we are grandparents. I think we can all agree a boatload of time and cooking experience has passed since those truly lean years.

He calls me every day shortly after he eats lunch to find out what his dinner will be. I rarely know because I am not home a lot the time and don't start thinking about how I will prepare dinner until I physically walk into the kitchen. I can only tell him what I took out of the freezer to thaw. Yesterday I told him I had thawed chicken for dinner and you could hear crickets on the phone because he had eaten a Chik Fil A sandwich earlier in the week at lunchtime.  I am pretty sure I made some smart ass comment like "Yeah you will survive 2 chicken meals in the same week.". Or maybe I just said "Oh no!" and scurried like an obedient wife to make something more to his pleasing. You decide!

I can't find the blog where I found this recipe and I am so sorry. I even went back through my computers history. I would like to give you credit for this but there were just too many sites visited to search through. If I find it eventually I will link to it here, because this was in no way, shape, or form my original creation.



Really Delicious Easy Crockpot Chicken

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (divide into 2 1/4 cups)
5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Put the oil in the bottom of a crockpot then sprinkle the minced garlic on top of it. Slowly add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Turn the crock onto high.
Mix all the seasonings together and pour onto a small plate (Yeah, I used a saucer) Press both sides of  each chicken piece into the seasonings mix, to mostly cover it.  Place the chicken into the crockpot, drizzle the remaining vinegar around it, cover the pot and let it cook for about 3 hours. (I turned  mine to low after than and let it cook another 30 or so minutes )

I served TheHubs over brown rice and spooned some of the juices on the rice. All I can say is he was amazed at how good it tasted, went back for seconds and then had a little bit more. Yeah, he does this every single time I cook chicken because I know it is not his favorite so I always make sure it is flavorful. I don't think he will ever learn to trust me.  

32 comments:

  1. Oh! I have a very similar recipe for baked chicken breasts. I never considered using the slow cooker for it! My recipe calls for bone-in, skin on split breasts, which are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I have been afraid to try boneless, skinless, because I thought it might turn out dry. It never dawned on me to try the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slow cooker works wonders. The chicken was moist throughout and fork tender.

      Delete
  2. I assume that he did survive his TWO chicken meals in a week. And if not, he died happy. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far he has survived, but the week is still out and I do have more frozen chicken!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to save this recipe. It looks good and easy! And I would go nuts if my DH called me every day to ask what's for dinner! LOL. I'd just tell him "food". haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever my Sweetie asked what's for dinner, I'd say "I don't know. What are you making?" Eventually, he stopped asking.

    I have already printed this out for my binder, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub can make grits, fried eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches. I would be out of luck.

      Delete
  5. My husband doesn't say, "What's for supper?" He calls and says, "Do we have plans?" before he leaves to come home. That means, "What's for supper?" And he's okay if I say, "Whatever you're bringing." I'll have to see if I can work this recipe in so I'll have a better answer to his question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cook nearly every night and actually like to cook. My theory is you can only question what is for dinner if you make or buy it yourself,

      Delete
  6. I am a chicken fan as well, but in my house, it is my daughter that complains we have it all the time-which we only do at most twice a week, and that is unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chicken and truly believe it is the most versatile

      Delete
  7. Too funny about your husband not liking chicken twice in a week and then, going back for seconds because what you made was so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great recipe idea! My husband used to say that about tacos. then grilled cheese and tomato soup. But that what happens when you get in a rut.
    As it stands, I'm out of chicken, but I still have lots of Christmas turkey in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have tons of chicken and really need to get in the freezer today to do some reorganizing. It is warmer and sunny so it might be a good day to put on the ski gloves and shuffle through the foods.

      Delete
  9. Ha ha at, you decide! We eat a lot of chicken too. I love boneless/skinless thighs. My husband makes a dish with lots of fresh veggies, sliced ginger and sauteed chicken over rice or noodles that I crave weekly. I always forget to pull out our crockpot. Your recipe is a good reminder to dust it off! Thank you for sharing and for always stopping by my blog with your sweet comments. I appreciate you more than you know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at your blog Brandi. Your home is lovely and you have such good taste in decor.

      Delete
  10. I loves me a chicken and would eat it everyday. Hubs has the same complaint that your hubby has. Men.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chicken also. I don't understand how you can dislike something that can be made so many ways.

      Delete
  11. This looks like a very easy and tasty recipe. I'm going to try this one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anne, I made this this afternoon - it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the leftovers for lunch today and it tastes equally good reheated.

      Delete
  13. We eat a lot of chicken. With my daughter's stomach issues, chicken is easy for her. She likes it plain so I grill up a bunch for her for several days. The rest of us like flavor so I am always on the look out for something new. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chicken but I figure if it pleases the chicken hater it must be pretty good.

      Delete
  14. That looks delicious! I chuckled and chuckled at this because my husband and I just agreed to a low spend month for February. I thought we would try to limit ourselves to just buying milk and eggs for a real challenge. (Maybe a bag of apples kind of thing.) I warned him to be prepared because we have a lot of chicken. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no such thing as too much chicken for me. If it were up to me we would have it at least five times a week.

      Delete
  15. Love this recipe, will have to try it. I love love love chicken. If there was only 1 meat I could eat I would choose it and give up everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too and don't understand TheHub and his reluctance to eat it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.