Translate

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

25 Weeks Have Passed?

We just finished the 25th week of the year and now it is official. . .


Every week this year I stop and recount the joys I find each day. To be honest it is getting harder and harder for me, because the days are all the same. I am still not going anywhere except for a quick grocery trip or to Mom's. I wear a mask when I go out and now that it is so damn hot I will limit my outings even more, because that mask wearing thing is just sweltering.
I have read a few bloggers who write that the isolation is not bothering them. Well it is driving me nuts! I love having folks over for dinner, I love going out to eat, I love having people visit for the weekend, I love going to the theater, I love going to movies, I love hearing live music, I love volunteering, and I love being around people. Some down time at home is fine, but this excessive gardening, yard work and sorting through Mom's possessions hanging out at home is sucking the life out of me.

Wednesday: One of the joys for the day was the gift of not having to go to Mom's for anything except to check the mail, and empty the dehumidifier. While I was there, a cousin called and asked if we had a couple of items she needed for a former neighbor of hers. It is time for him to go into assisted living and has no family left to make arrangements, so they are taking over the roll of his offspring.  He will be in a studio apartment and needs furniture that has a smaller profile than anything he owns,  Fortunately we are able to oblige, so a bed, a small recliner and a club chair are spoken for. I did tell her it was silly to move it twice, so it will stay where it is until next weekend when they physically move him in. They are such a great couple to do this for someone who needs help. I guess there is double joy. One is being able to help them with their mission and another is that a few pieces of furniture are headed out the door.

Thursday: When we were cleaning out Mom's kitchen we found some things we both remembered from our childhood, that Mom had hidden placed in the deepest recesses of a corner cabinet. We both went home with treasures, at least treasures to us. I got a set of vintage  pyrex mixing bowls (red, green, blue and yellow) and my sister got a partial set of vintage pyrex refrigerator containers (blue and red).  The memories they evoke are priceless and I am pretty sure I can still smell the butterbeans Mom would store in the blue fridge dish!

Friday: I have no idea what joys were out there. Friday came and went with little fanfare. I did work in the veggie beds a little and was excited that the potatoes were finally shooting through the soil. Also I shopped at Aldi and found everything I was looking for, but I needed very little. so it was not a great accomplishment.  I did find a cute little pair of knock about flats for 4.99. Oh and something that might not be a joy to most but thrilled the entire street?  My next door neighbor was having some issues and was placed in a facility quite a while back. Her house has been empty with her son, who lives in Chicago, having her POA. I know things are difficult for him to handle from afar, but her grass weeds were about 4 1/2 feet tall. I did not mind looking at them, but they were blowing seed all over my yard, and I was tired of pulling imported weeds. While I was out working in the yard, he arrived and met someone who chopped the weeds mowed the lawn. Thanks to the yard guy's huge booming voice I heard he was going to be mowing it every other week. Wonderful! It will at least keep the potential weed seed from forming.
Following that we had our new traditional Friday night, because all our norms have changed. We had a quick dinner then watched another episode of The Man in the High Castle.

Saturday: We worked in the yard here, then went to the lake. TheHub worked outside but I did not. My knee was killing me, so I stayed in the cabin and did some inside work. The lake was hopping so I got to watch a lot of boats go by, then we stayed late enough to see the beginnings of the rose colored water that happens at sunset. Since we left late and had not eaten we stopped at Full Moon and grabbed bbq to bring home.  Small joys but any day without cooking is pretty joyful.

Sunday:  We are getting spoiled by our streaming church service. Do you think when church starts back full force anyone will mind if I go in my pajamas? We have established a new Sunday morning tradition; coffee and cinnamon rolls with God, and it is going to be a hard habit to break. I would be more than happy to take enough to share with everyone sitting on the same pew we are sitting on.
After working in the yard most of the day, we cleaned up and had guests. Son2 and DIL2 stopped by for a Father's Day visit. We were hoping they would eat with us, but they decided to get on back to their house. Too bad they didn't, because they missed a delicious meal!

Monday: We worked in Mom's finished basement and it was yet another day of finding out she never got rid of anything. We also found out that Dad had totally neglected his downstairs office which was totally different than the main floor office where he kept all of their personal info. We did find a few interesting things there, among all the work documents he had kept beginning sometime in the 50's. We found two newspaper articles about our great grandfather that we had never seen before and a permanent train pass for our great uncle (the oldest of our grandfather's siblings) and his wife that a issued in 1937. In addition to that we found a grotesque wooden scale that Mom would never throw out because "Margie sent me an arrangement in it". I hope I am never sentimental about crap. (Unless it is crap my kids made in school when they were young)

Tuesday: I was lucky to talk with one of Mom's best friends. She had been out of town staying with her daughter through quarantine and just returned on Monday.  She was always so kind to Mom and would call her regularly or drop by for a short visit. I really enjoyed our telephone visit very much. Other than that the day was__crickets!

See I told you I am having trouble finding joy, but by crackie, I am still trying. Since this week is the last week in the first half of the year, I am going to be more intentional about looking for joy and if I can't find it, I am going to create it! 

30 comments:

  1. We really miss dinners with friends and going to restaurants. REALLY miss that part of our "former" life. We're OK with most other aspects of being home all the time. But then, we both started freelancing in the 90s so we're used to it, I suppose. My parents never threw anything out either, and we had to deal with that when we sold my father's house. Really inspired us to deal with our stuff now -- we're steadily getting rid of it all (well, most of it -- the stuff we use a lot of course we're keeping).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as we get through Mom's house I am getting rid of at least half of what I own. If I don't use it regularly then I really don't need it, and I surly don't want my kids to have to go through this same thing.

      Delete
  2. No, the isolation is not bothering me at all. I, too, had regular things to do and people to see, dinners out with certain people. I just chose to accept it and move on. (That sounds judgey but it is not.) It took Tommy longer than me to accept the isolation. And, he is the more isolated normally of the two of us. I do miss things! I imagine that cinnamon rolls in the sanctuary would be welcomed by god and friends...lol. Weeds from other people's yards are the worst. My neighbor who has a field of many acres has weeds about four feet high, solid! My yard was the buffer for the rest of the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty extroverted by nature and energize by being around people. This is not a good way for me to live.

      Delete
  3. Another great choice to give to your cousin's neighbor as he moves into assisted living. Glad to hear your neighbor's lawn was mowed and will be mowed regularly. Speaking of We are getting spoiled by our streaming church service. I feel like I am getting spoiled staying home. We use to go to town 13 miles away pre-pandemic and think nothing of it. Now it seems like a long drive and I can't wait to get back home now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the isolation is bothering me. One day is like the next. Also weddings are crazy right now.So I am stuck sewing all day. Whine, whine.....sniff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to find someone else who is bothered by it. It is driving me nuts, but the virus is still happening and I don't want to get it. I will join the whine and sniff brigade.

      Delete
  5. We really miss dining in restaurants and friends too, but we've been retired a good while so isolation at home isn't as bad for us as like our sons, and families, who miss going to their offices. Will be happy when restaurants and stores open and offices too! Good with your neighbor's yard, we had one like that for a while. And pajamas and church works for me. I feel for you going through your parents' things. I think about that often with us and all the "stuff" our sons will have to dispose of so I'm trying to pitch as much as I can that means nothing to anybody else, and even wonder why I saved things in the first place because I don't go back and ever look at any of it. I learned from my Mom and Dad's stuff that "things" may be important to you, but not to your kids. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of things that mean something to me will mean absolutely nothing to my kids. So unless it is useful or absolutely gorgeous or makes me smile, it's gone.

      Delete
  6. I don't think you're having any problem finding joys. Everyone has their own definition of joy, but I consider a routine day with no drama a joy. I'm glad that you will be able to help the gentleman with furniture in his new place. It always feels good when you can find a good home for unwanted items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are thousands and thousands of items at Mom's, so seeing any of it gone is beyond thrilling!

      Delete
  7. From my perspective you are doing very, very well.
    There is nothing which says that joys have to be huge or constant. Sadly they don't even have to dominate the day.
    Just looking for them gives you a more positive focus - and some rewards. Sometimes HUGE rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect huge joyous moments, though an occasional one would be nice. I am just getting a little overdone with the sameness. Wake up, Go to Mom's, Sort through crap, Come home, Clean up, Cook, Do dishes, Watch some Amazon or Netflix show, Read, Sleep, Lather, Rinse, Repeat

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you are finding the isolation so difficult. I truly hope you will have more opportunities to go out and meet with people over the next few weeks. Plus, you mentioned in a previous post that Son3 and wife were planning to visit, so you'll have that to look forward to. I'm glad you were able to help your cousin's former neighbor with some items for his new place and you found those vintage Pyrex mixing bowls and refrigerator containers to share with your sister. :) I hope you will continue to look for and find those small daily joys in the coming week, too, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be more than happy when Son3 and DIL3 get here. They are both performers and are starved for an audience. I will be more than happy to oblige. I have already told some of the neighbors that they will be ready to have a neighborhood concert and they entire neighborhood will be welcomed.

      Delete
  9. I am sure God will understand if when you attend Church in person again one day you show up with cinnamon buns, coffee and jammies. I hear he is pretty understanding that way. Yes the isolation is getting to all of us. I am dreading when hubby leaves on Friday for 5 days. I can hang out with Mom and maybe have a social distancing visit with my friend. Seriously THE ONLY GOOD THING about hubby leaving this weekend is that I don't have to cook so looking forward to five days of peanut butter and jam sandwiches or maybe a bowl of instant soup or 5 minute tuna melt. I am very lucky to have my sweet dog keep me company, he shall keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I understand He is not particularly picky about clothes in a worship setting, and if I wore flannel pants and a shirt it would not be revealing. Now I just have to rethink the zero makeup and hair clipped back.
      Isolation has become my enemy relatively quickly.
      I hope you do well with your husband away. At least you have Buddy!

      Delete
  10. I always look forward to hearing about your daily joys, and I think you have done a terrific job. I know it must be difficult for someone as extroverted as you. I am certainly one of those people you referred to as managing the isolation. I like people and my whole working career was spent in public service. But at the same time I value my solitude. I have been very lucky because I have a LOT of social interaction during the day by telephone and face-to-face time on-line. You are doing a great thing Anne. You are showing us all that there is joy in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit a wall a few days ago. I guess the rains and thunderstorms are not helping either. When the rains stop I think I am going to light the chiminea, buy some hotdogs and invite the neighbors over for a weenie roast. I can wear gloves while prepping then everyone can cook their own dog over the open fire. Maybe S'mores for dessert.

      Delete
  11. I know it can be difficult, but I have confidence that you'll make it through this time without losing your mind. Although I'm an introvert, it would have been very difficult for me if I'd had to get through the last few months alone. Carol's presence has been a great blessing. I've always wanted to wear jammies to church. And why have coffee hour after the service? We should have our drink of choice and a doughnut during the service. It's so kind of your cousin to help the former neighborhood, and so kind of you to contribute some furniture.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to know some of the stuff is leaving Mom's house. Because of her dementia we have had to go through every single item. She had a tendency to shuffle things around and items have turned up in the most unusual and confounding places. Pearls in a paraffin arthritis machine anyone?

      Delete
  12. My mom had Anchor Hocking green refrigerator glass containers. She used them all the time. My mom's favorite thing to save was magazine clippings. She had boxes of clipped recipes and articles that she thought were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found clipped recipes by the hundreds, and the obit of everyone she knew who had passed on.

      Delete
  13. I'm one of those introverts who doesn't mind the isolation a whole lot, though I do miss being able to travel. Funny, when I'm away from home on a trip I'm far less introverted.

    Your ability to find joy in every day is inspiring, and I'd suggest while it may be difficult this is probably the year it's most important. You're making the best of every day even if it doesn't feel like it.

    I hear you about cleaning out your own home. It took me several years but after we cleaned out mom and dad's house it was definitely an impetus to take a look at my own stuff!

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying so hard to find joy, but somedays it feels nearly impossible.

      Delete
  14. I think you've done amazingly well with clearing your mom's place out - even if it isn't finished. I KNOW I have to get moving on this place because I have so much stuff. Some left behind by my ex when he moved back to the States, and now I sense I'll be getting my son's stuff moved down into my basement too. I did get rid of a couple of pairs of downhill skis the other week though so that's a positive. Still got a ways to go though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday I go to Mom's I sneak some of my excess into a bag and take it down there. I figure if we have an estate sale there I might as well include some of my "estate". My sister is doing the exact same thing.

      Delete
  15. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.comWhatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.