Translate

Monday, June 15, 2020

Food for Thought(lessness)

As is my typical fashion I check and see what foods are available, make a plan to go with said items, then totally mostly ignore it. One week I am going to go by it entirely__ maybe. Or perhaps my aim should be to just make it through Monday night's dinner and still be on track.

1. Steak, mashed potatoes or caulimash, tossed salad
2 Hamburger with all the fixings
3. Big broccoli salad, rolls or Keto toast
4  White bbq chicken, “ fried” okra, coleslaw
5. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread 
6. Keto vegetarian stuffed  poblanos
7. Takeout


Monday: My sister and I worked at Mom's until about 4:30. I came home and did the chores here I did not get done while I was down there. All of a sudden it was about 6:30 and I had not even thought about dinner. Trader Joe's to the rescue. While staring in the freezer looking for something that would defrost quickly, I spied a box of chili lime chicken burgers (really just well spiced ground chicken patties), grabbed them and called it done.
TJ's chili lime chicken patty, potato (or none) cuke tomato and onion salad

Tuesday: I had some broccoli that demanded to be eaten right away, plus I could make this in the morning and be done until dinner time.
Broccoli salad, toast

Wednesday: We worked at Mom's all day and I truly intended to make the vegetarian poblanos. When I went to the refrigerator in the laundry room where I stored the peppers  I found a large package of ground turkey I had totally overlooked when meal planning.
 Mexicanish ground turkey with pepper jack cheese, coleslaw, corn (or none)

Thursday: Bookclub meal out on friends patio.

Friday Ever since our neighborhood visit last week I had been craving  pizza form a little place in Homewood. Friday seemed to be a great night for take out,
GM's Pizzaria Conecuah Sausage and peach pizza

Saturday: TheHub and I went to the lake place and stopped at a truck farm  on the way.  After doing out lake chores we came back home with some delicious looking produce.
Hamburger with all the fixings, corn on the cob, sliced peaches

Sunday: I ordered an air fryer, and it arrived during the week. I bought it specifically for one food. We love fried okra so we are growing okra in the back yard. It is not producing yet (we got it planted late) so we bought some from the truck farm. It was a good day to try the air fryer. (For the record, it works really well)
Lady peas, squash and onions, fried okra, toast

Meal possibilities for this week.
This may or may not happen, but I have everything I need for this plan already at the house with the exception of lettuce

1 BLT salad
2 Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread
3 Grilled lamb chops, grilled asparagus, sliced tomatoes,  new potatoes (or none)
4 Vegetarian stuffed poblanos, coleslaw
5 Chicken sandwiches, corn on the cob, coleslaw
6 Takeout
7 Ham Slice, leftover lady peas,  coleslaw, tomatoes and cucumbers

Wishing  everyone has a great week, whether you stay on plan, have a plan, or don't give two hoots about a plan.

26 comments:

  1. Some days, my accomplishment is that we ate. I've never been much of a planner. Seems like I wake up in a new mealtime world-it's 5pm and and I think "Oh yeah, I need to make something" like I haven't been doing it for the last 46 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, me too Jan. I make these plans just to ignore them. It seems like at least in the winter months I think about meals earlier. Maybe it's more of a crockpot type meal weather. Now I am outside later and it seems I just don't think about meals until 6:30 or 7 . By then meals are whatever cooks the quickest.

      Delete
  2. Have you shared your broccoli salad before? I can't recall. I too am thinking of getting an air fryer, especially since oily and fatty things are not my friends and it greatly reduces it while allowing me still to have fried food. What model did you buy if I might ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Ultrean 4.2 quart. It had pretty good reviews for a less expensive model. I really wanted a cuisinart one but was unwilling to spring for that much money for something that I was unsure I would like .
      I do not have a recipe for the broccoli salad but this is what I do, except the day I posted this I was using cooked broccoli. When I make it I usually just blanch it for a couple of minutes https://newhappeningsatthetable.blogspot.com/2015/05/gathering-fragments-broccoli-for.html

      Delete
  3. Last night, we discussed dinner for tonight and decided on BLT salad. This will be so easy! Of course, even with plans, I reserve the right to change them. He never complains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone else is doing the cooking the "eater" forfeits all rights to complain.

      Delete
  4. Air fryers intrigue me, but I don't have room for the small appliances I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Conecuah Sausage is so different from smoked sausage with much deeper flavor. My dd loves it. Your menus sound so good,especially the BLT salad. My sister makes a BLT dip that is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're at the coast, so going out for additional groceries is not in the cards. This is a big change from where we normally are, so it's forces a real menu plan! We went to Costco & stocked up, and will be having guests today. Lots of planning to try & ensure we have everything we need & don't have waste. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really pleased that you are enjoying the air fryer.
    My meal plans are often scanty and have been worse this week. Overwhelming fatigue has meant it has to be easy to produce and easy to fork down my face.
    Salad leftovers have almost always won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks just demand cobbling together anything and calling it a meal. We have been known to eat some crackers and cheese and call it dinner.

      Delete
  8. Wait...a pizza with peaches? I want to try that! I don't have that particular type of sausage, but, I do have peaches! Can I substitute regular smoked sausage? Is it a basic pizza sauce with sausage and peaches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Conecuah is just smoked sausage. It is just the most delicious smoked sausage ever! It had a white creamy (mayonnaise based I think) sauce and Monterey Jack cheese underneath the sausage and peaches

      Delete
  9. Bet okra would be good in air fryer. Need to dig mine out of garage, it takes up so much counter space, etc. Okra is not an easy thing to find here though. Broccoli salad sounds good too, actually all your food does! -:) Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to find someplace to keep the air fryer. It is big and bulky but I love what it did to the okra

      Delete
  10. Mercy, I'm so sorry I missed it about your mom's passing. Just haven't been online a lot the last month or two. Anyway, my condolences to you. I went back and read your lovely obituary for her. She sounded like a great caring, little feisty woman and you a great loving daughter. So sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feisty could be considered an understatement! We are in the process of organizing the past 68 years of her accumulations. We laugh at some things she kept but mostly are amazed that she never got rid of anything, yet kept it all packed neatly and out of sight. How?

      Delete
  11. Mmm, fried okra. Love the stuff. I keep wondering about an air fryer, but keep resisting the urge. Plus we have a convection oven, which is basically an oversize air fryer. Well, that's what I keep telling myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a convention oven also and had tried "fried" okra in it but the results were very different. I bought an inexpensive one and other than it being a space hog I really like it. We are growing okra and as soon as it starts producing we ought to be able to have it every day.I used about 1 teaspoon of oil to get seriously crunchy okra for two. I know we won't eat it fried every single da, but I love having it as an option whenever we want it.

      Delete
  12. wow i admire your orderliness and determination in having a food schedule. i just kind of wing it most days. it's good to have a plan, even if you don't always follow it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.comWhatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.