Translate

Monday, June 22, 2020

More Food Please

As usual I make a plan for our meals each week. Most weeks I pretty much ignore the plan, but this week I did a much better job staying at least very close to what I intended. I think it is a first for me. Our garden is beginning to produce. We got it planted late, but I had a few things that were more important than gardening until late spring, so from here on out I will have to make my plan based on what is growing. Right now things are blooming and just beginning to produce, so I am adding a little garden harvest when I recount what we ate for dinner. Unless it is really germane to our meal I am not counting herb harvest though. It gets picked and dried throughout the growing season.

This was my original  meal plan:
1 BLT salad
2 Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread 
3 Grilled lamb chops, grilled asparagus, sliced tomatoes,  new potatoes (or none)
4 Vegetarian stuffed poblanos, coleslaw
5 Chicken sandwiches, corn on the cob, coleslaw 
6 Takeout 
7 Ham Slice, leftover lady peas,  coleslaw, tomatoes and cucumbers 

Planted this summer: zucchini, radish, romaine lettuce, butter leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, carrots, green beans, okra, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, cantaloupe. yellow squash, butternut squash, potato, basil, rosemary, lavender, mint, dill, lemon basil, 

Monday: I wanted to try the air fryer again and had some breaded chicken patties (Red bag chicken from Aldi that tastes remarkably like the original chicken sandwiches from Chic Fil A) to test, just to see if they would crisp. They did with no additional oil, so I am calling it a serious win. I wonder what I can try in it tomorrow night?
Harvest: 1 zucchini, 5 radishes
Chicken sandwich, corn on the cob, coleslaw with lime yogurt dressing 

Tuesday: My sister and I spent the day at Mom's. There is just so much to sort through, and honestly, after I come home from there and unload whatever stuff I am bringing home, the last thing I want to do is think about dinner. I had a half of a ham steak in the fridge, some cooked cauliflower, and leftover lady peas. Dinner pretty much made itself!
Ham leftover peas tomato slices caulitato salad

Wednesday. I had taken a pack of ground chuck out of the freezer on Monday, so it needed to be cooked. TheHub (who really never requests much) asked for his favorite meal. It was nice to be able to cook without having to think "What's for dinner"
Spaghetti with veggie dense meat sauce, garlic toast

Thursday:  We spent another day at Mom's digging through more stuff. Just exactly how many vases exceed the legal limit for one household?  We tackled the kitchen and have it about 3/4 finished. Yay us!  We both found a couple of really cool items to bring home with us. They were things neither of us remember not being at Mom's and were part of daily meal prep when we were very young kids. I am glad we took them instead of selling, even though they are quite collectible.
Take out Thai

Friday: TheHub came home a little early and we worked some in the yard. Afterward I did not want to cook, plus we were hot. Supper was a no-brainer.
BLT salad and glasses of iced tea.
Harvest: 5 zucchini, 4 radishes, radish leaves to add to our salad

Saturday: We headed to the lake to do some chores, then headed home late. Since it was the summer solstice it was the perfect day to leave late, and did not become completely dark until we were in line picking up our food (about 2 miles from home)
Smoked chicken wings and coleslaw or bbq sandwich and baked beans

Sunday:  Our Sunday was hot and a little brutal. After the church service online we worked in the yard until about 5, came in and showered, then we visited with Son2and DIL2. Though we had enough and asked them to stay for dinner, they wanted to get home. Son2's work opens back Monday and he wanted to be rested and ready, but they really did miss a good meal.
Grilled lamb chops, tossed salad, new potatoes (or none)  toast.
Harvest: 5 zucchini, 9 radishes

So hooray for me. With the exception of an unplanned takeout meal, we actually ate what I had planned with a few minor variations. I think this is the first time I actually did it. Usually I am batting about 3 out of 7.

Now on to this week's possibilities:
1. Grilled chicken, grilled pineapple, zucchini fries, coleslaw
2. Mediterranean salad, rolls or keto rolls
3. Grilled steak, tossed salad, rolls or keto rolls
4. Zucchini gratin, sliced tomatoes, coleslaw
5. Seared scallops, asparagus, onion cucumber tomato salad, toast
6. Takeout
7. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, toast or rolls

Hope everyone has a wonderful week either on plan, off plan or no plan.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting us know the red bag chicken from Aldi tastes like Chic Fil A. We will have to get some of those to try. Your meals sound delicious, Anne. Kudos to you for sticking so close to your menu plan all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub thinks the red bag chicken is even better than Chic fil A. I pop them in the air fryer and they come out crispy on the outside and very moist on the inside. Since I am back on keto he will get the entire bag to himself, and I think he is not unhappy at all.

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot about air fryers and am thinking about getting one. Trouble is, I really don't want to keep adding "gadgets" to my kitchen. That being said, I just looked on Amazon. They have them in all price ranges but strangely enough the only one to get 5 stars is actually the cheapest. Hmmm, will have to give it some thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a lower price one just to see if I like it. So far I have used it every single day. My favorite use is to make toast with butter on it, but I have tried it for several things including baking cinnamon rolls.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it fun to find treasures when you are cleaning. I would like to say it makes it worth it, but not really.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we started a huge shred box, I would say we found no treasures in Dad's desk but we did find a picture of me when I was a baby and 2 newspaper articles about his grandfather.

      Delete
  4. I know I have raved abou tour air fyer, an love for frozen chickenpatties and strips. My other go to is to do home cut wedges and fries. I use my oil mister bought on clearnace at Aldi to give jus tth elightest coating and use season salt and galrice. So much better than most resturant potatoes I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an oil mister. I am going to have to try that.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for achieved plans. And for productive gardens.
    Neither are happening here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess winter makes it a little difficult for growing things. Since we have pretty mild winters we are seriously thinking of putting a temporary greenhouse over the raised bed garden closest to the house. It might or might not work, but it could be worth a try.

      Delete
  6. I have just about convinced myself to buy an air fryer. I imagine the clearing out of her house is time consuming, but rewarding at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The air fryer is much more functional than I thought it would be.
      So far the rewards are few and the closets and cabinets are filled.

      Delete
  7. Your schedule of trying to keep up among three houses sounds exhausting. I'm very impressed that you had anything other than takeout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting home from Mom's at about 4:30. I know when we finally sell her house it will be with some sadness, but right now in the middle of all of this chaos I find it hard to believe I will feel anything but relief. Today our "WTH did she keep that" find was my old Girl Scout mess kit, used twice when I was 11 or 12 at GSA campouts.

      Delete
  8. Well done on sticking to the meal plan, last week! You did really well! This week's meal plan sounds good, too. Sounds like you planted a big garden and you are already able to harvest! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it is just radishes and zucchini, but everything else is blooming and forming, except the okra. It is growing but is just not in a hurry.

      Delete
  9. The mere fact you're able to make meals while working to clear out your mom's house, maintain your home and yard, and the lake house is incredible. Plus the meals sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking is pretty easy for me plus my freezer is bursting at the gills.

      Delete
  10. I'm wondering how much prep you do in the mornings before starting your work day. Are things ready to go when you drag yourself home, or do you start from scratch? I know for a fact that I would be too exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am lucky I remember to take something out of the freezer in the morning. On occasion though, I might have some chicken cooked and frozen and can use it as the base of a meal.. Since I am only cooking for two it is really not that difficult, and honestly TheHub never minds doing takeout if I just am not feeling the cooking thing.

      Delete
  11. Good menu for sure! And those veggies in your garden sound great! We used to have one but way too many trees now. Have a good rest of the week. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready for the cucumbers to start producing. I don't know why we even bother planting tomatoes though. We have never had any luck with them. Hope springs eternal, right?

      Delete
  12. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.comWhatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.