Translate

Friday, June 5, 2020

Tasty Cool Dinner for a Hot Night

Monday I spent the day at Mom's cleaning out a little more. My word, what are we ever going to do with all her stuff? As soon as we get her house finished, I need to start paring my home by at least half. Or I could leave it as is, believing I will have the last laugh when my sons have to get rid of all of this junk I own. I can't imagine they will want any more of my things than I want of Mom's.
I got home fairly late and decided to have a very quick meal. I had two cooked chicken breasts that needed to be eaten immediately so this is what I made.

                              Greek Chicken Salad

   for the salad:
1 cup (ish) boned chopped cooked chicken
1 large cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped (I added more because I wanted it to be veggie denser)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup sliced olives drained

   for the dressing:
1/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried mint
4 smallish cloves garlic, minced
ground pepper to taste
healthy squeeze of fresh lemon

   for the garnish:
An additional 10 or so olive slices  (I did not do this and wish I had, because it would have been prettier)
Sprinkling of fresh minced parsley (I had none)

In a large bowl mix all the salad ingredients until everything is incorporated
In a small bowl mix all the dressing ingredients thoroughly. You all notice I used no additional salt. The feta and olives are salty enough for me. You might need additional salt since saltiness varies from person to person and I have said before I am not a salt fanatic.

Pour the dressing over the salad. Mix and place in a tightly covered dish to sit in the fridge for several hours. Spoon over a lettuce leaf and garnish with olive slices and parsley.

This made enough for both of us for dinner and enough left over for my lunch the next day.

It was so good and so refreshing. I know it worked for us when TheHub declared he would love to have this often this summer. It is dang near the perfect summer nighttime meal.




32 comments:

  1. This looks like a complete winner. tonight will be sald and I think I might have all thesengredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to start having this regularly. It was surprisingly good

      Delete
  2. That looks super delish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep saying I know I need to get rid of stuff but it is slow going. When my brother died in Wales his son said I could take whatever I wanted. I took a pretty, delicate teacup and saucer and a silver sugar spoon commemorating the queen's silver jubilee, as my sister-in-law had beautiful stuff. To be honest I would have taken her cook books too but as I was flying back I was very limited. The good thing about passing stuff on to charity shops is that someone else will get to treasure it a second time round won't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the good thing. Some things we will donate and some things we will sell. Mom had a lot of very nice things , but right now none of us have a use for them.

      Delete
  4. I should remember to make more chicken salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about it occasionally for lunch when I have a bit of chicken leftover but never for dinner. It really was good.

      Delete
  5. yum, absolutely love greek style food

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think going through a parents things always brings an amazing declutter of our own lives. It did for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding stuff at home that I no longer use or care about. It is going!

      Delete
  7. Oh that looks so good and refreshing. A sure winner on this hot and humid night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when I make a good salad and we're at the table and hubby says, "I could eat this more during the week. I really like to potatoes on it too." Because I often add spuds to our salads.

    Getting rid of stuff. Yes, been there for sure. Back in 2016 - I decluttered and got rid of 95 percent of my crap and it was lovely. Really a fun thing to do. Harder maybe if it wasn't my own stuff. I don't know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sound delicious if the cucumbers were not in it. I would just leave them out and give Tommy some for his portion. Since I love feta and olives, it suits me just fine. I would not have added salt either since I rarely salt things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, but might need other vegetables to replace the cukes

      Delete
  10. I am not a salt fan either. I add it to virtually nothing and don't miss it.
    I do love salads. I would probably replace the cucumber with tomatoes (cherry for preference) but that it part of salad's charm. They are readily adaptable.
    Good luck on the continuing cleaning/sorting slog. It isn't fun. I am also forced to admit that I STILL have some of my mama's stuff here. Stuff I don't use but cannot yet give away/sell (mostly here jewellery much of it made by my father).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will keep some things of Mom's, and she had several extremely nice pieces of jewelry that we will keep. In fact, my sister had already worn her pearls. When Dad decided to give them to Mom, he and my sister went to a jeweler and bought each pearl individually then had them strung. She has a special attachment to them so I glad she kept them.

      Delete
  11. It's very difficult to deal with someone else's belongings. I've already talked to the oxymorons about checking the value of my stuff before they just chuck it. I also don't buy a lot of stuff, except for books, clothes, shoes, jewelry--you know, all the important things.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard because I know the importance Mom placed on some of her items, but neither my sister nor I have any use/desire for them.

      Delete
  12. I don't care for olives, but otherwise it sounds delicious!

    I cleared out my house a fair amount just after I retired last year. It was in partly in response to the memories of clearing out my mom and dad's house years ago, and partly as I thought I'd be moving. It's just about time to do another...I have to remember when I bring something in I need to take something out as well!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the one in one out mantra. Well I will believe in it after I do a huge purge here.

      Delete
  13. Another great keto recipe. Thank you for this. I will have to request black olives on my next grocery order, as all I have in the fridge are green manzanilla olives. The thought of those paired with feta cheese makes my mouth pucker. I don't like a lot of salt either. I would definitely want a lot of fresh cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved it. I have to get more black olives, lots of them, because this is going to be an every other week staple for the summer.

      Delete
  14. I can just imagine the taste of that! The weather here is cold so it's not what I want right now but I do agree that it would be perfect in the summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sure greek chicken soup would fit your day better.

      Delete
  15. this looks delicious and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for a great Blog, has helped me in many ways. Impressionist Paintings

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.