Translate

Monday, February 12, 2024

A Week in a Minor Key

The past week was not a fun filled week, though there were small joys as always. This week is going to have some ups and downs for us, but I am not going to make it better by staying in the house working. I think I need to be out in the world  among people a little more.



Monday: This was just a regular day and I did not try to clean out anything. In fact I did very little other than normal household chores, laundry (and yes there is a joy when you get into bed on freshly washed sheets), cooking, and some reading.
Dinner: TheHub had a meeting downtown and came home as soon as it was over, rather than go back to work. He wanted to eat early. No problem, but I would have preferred a heads up. Since I had not started cooking (or even thought about what I was going to make for dinner) I opted for a quick meal. This is why I always have browned and seasoned ground chuck in the freezer.
Taco salad

Tuesday: I began serious decluttering in the changing room, bath, and hallway. I found more things I had forgotten about, but only one item neither of us remembered getting (buying?).
Dinner: TheHub did not really want what I planned on making and suggested he pick up something on his way home from the office. I am not stupid enough to disagree when someone volunteers to stop at Fried Green Tomatoes .
Veggie plate (TheHub), pork chop, collards, (me)

Wednesday: I woke to an extremely early phone call. Those almost always mean sad/bad news and this was no exception. I was supposed to go to class that morning but did not want to be around anyone for a while.  Instead I got a lot of Mom's personal business papers together (kept them for a few years just in case) and took them to be shredded. My Beloved Sister went with me, then we stopped at a couple of places on the way home. 
Dinner: It was the perfect night for soup, so that is what we had.
Creamy ham soup, stuffed mushrooms

Thursday:  I did more cleaning until it was time to get ready for a show we were going to see. We met our friends at The Alys to hear Steep Canyon Rangers. It was great, and makes me angry that we did not take advantage of more recent events there. 
Dinner: We did not have time to eat beforehand so we stopped at The Purple Onion on our way home to grab a bite to eat.
Cheeseburger (TheHub) Gyro salad (me) 

Friday: It was a stay at home day for me, in fact I only ventured outdoors a couple of times. Instead I did more touching, sorting, and increasing my donation pile. I did find a couple of things taking up space in my closet that I do remember getting, but out of sight, out of mind. They are now gone thanks to the buy nothing FB site.
I had a very short call with Sluggy which was interrupted by an unexpected, but not unwelcomed visitor.
Dinner: We normally go out on Friday nights, but since we had been out Thursday we decided to stay home and watch a movie. Neither of us were hungry and just had warmed overs.
Soup

Saturday: We ran our usual morning rounds, getting back just in time to watch Alabama basketball followed by an Alabama softball game. I was not feeling well, but I didn't feel horrible. I was freezing even though the weather was not cold at all. I should have listened to my body but I did not.
Dinner: It was Chinese New Year and every year we do Chinese take out, as we did Saturday night. The dinner was delicious and we ate at the kitchen table which was all gussied up with Year of the Dragon decor. I was feeling pretty rotten by the time we got the food, but ate anyway. Mistake! I obviously had picked up a virus somewhere.
Lemon chicken (TheHub) moo shu pork (me)

Sunday: I finally got to bed at about 4:30 Sunday morning after a difficult night. I woke about 9:30 and was not feeling great and still freezing. I dressed in the softest clothes I own and spent the day mostly on the couch, covered in blankets, sipping ginger lemon tea. 
I know we watched (OK TheHub watched while I sometimes watched between snoozing) Alabama women's basketball, and I really did not start feeling human until early evening. when the Super Bowl came on.
Dinner: TheHub was on his own for dinner because I was not about to eat a meal of any sorts.
TV dinner (TheHub) a few crackers (me)


What's possible for this week:
We are going to be out of town for a family funeral and will not be home at least 2 nights, possibly 3. I am planning our meals assuming we will be gone three nights, I can always throw something together, or we can do takeout if need be. 
1. Leftover Chinese
2. Jambayla, coleslaw, king cake - Mardi Gras
3. Grilled steaks, broccoli, potatoes, tossed salad, chocolate cake - Valentines
4. Soup or salad meal
Enjoy your meals staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

Books read in February
Lillian Boxfish Takes a walk

Have a great week and look for your joys. They are always out there no matter how small.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne


30 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about the loss in your family, but am glad you're starting to feel better. I hope that continues and your husband doesn't catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the unwelcomed news of death in the family. Early morning'/middle of the night phone calls are always a source of dread. 8-( Sorry you were off food too.....that sucks too. Hopefully it was only a virus and not food poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being off food was necessary since nothing would stay down

      Delete
  4. I hate freezing when it is warm out. And, then on top of that bad family news for you. Tommy asked me if I wanted to go out for Chinese. Which place has best food? Of course, I do want take out. Soft clothes are the best when not feeling well. Okay, soft clothes are best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Pearl is by far the best Chinese in town. Anne

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about the bad news and the funeral. I hope you've recovered from the illness.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janie. I do feel better. Anne

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry for your family's loss. I hope you really feel better and don't have the boomerang virus that seems to fool people that it's gone, only to come back worse a day later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does not come back. My diaphragm is still sore from Saturday/Sunday.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes, I need to get out of the house too, sort of gives me the mental break I need from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to get out in the world at least a little this week

      Delete
  8. So sorry for the sad news and loss of a loved one. Your menu got me thinking that I have no plans for a Valentine's dinner. Grilling out sounds great. We actually grilled out last Sunday. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the weather agrees with grilling right now

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss, and here's hoping you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel much better now. Sometimes you forget how bad being really sick is.

      Delete
  11. So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad you're feeling better though. These viruses going around are a bit brutal. Safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a brutal 24 or so hours, but things are much better now.

      Delete
  12. Unfortunately, I know all about those early morning phone calls. I'm sorry! Lifting prayers for travel mercies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news never comes in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning.

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had a productive day decluttering and organizing! It's always surprising what we find when we start going through forgotten areas of our homes. Taco salad and a veggie plate sound delicious! Thank you for sharing your updates. Also, I invite you to read and share your views on my new post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about the loss of a family member and to hear that you were not well over the weekend. Hope you are feeling better, now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As you say, not a nice week at all. A family death and feeling ill - I hope you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss as well as you feeling a bit under the weather. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.