Translate

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Variation on a Theme of Tom Kha Gai

 I love soup, but TheHub is very finicky about when he will eat it, so I am making it often while the weather is cooler. And what could possibly be better on a cold night than hot spicy soup. Unfortunately not as spicy as I would like, because TheHub does not have an asbestos mouth like I have.

I found a couple of recipes but I am not a big follower of recipes, so this is just my take on the soup. I also am not a measurer so all measurements were eyeballed, but I am pretty good at eyeballing.
I will also say all the recipes I read called for galangal which I not only did not have on hand, but I have never had any. Nor do I have a clue what flavor it adds, so I left it out and used turmeric instead. Sue me!
I did not have kaffir lime leaves either, so lime zest and juice were my substitutes.
I  confess, I also have squeeze tubes of many different herbs and spice pastes in the freezer and use them often because it saves time. Knowing this, you might call this Cheaters Soup. 


Almost Tom Kha Gai







1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
Put the oil in the bottom of a stock pot
Saute the onion in the oil until it is almost translucent

2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cartons mushrooms cleaned and sliced
Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pot and stir until they are wilted but not browned

32 ounces chicken broth/stock (your choice)
Add to the vegetables quickly to stop the browning process.

Stir well


Add the remaining ingredients

1 can full fat coconut milk
1 boneless skinless chicken breast thinly sliced*
1 tablespoon ginger paste** (equals about and inch of fresh ginger, peeled and minced)
1/2 tablespoon lemon grass paste (about 2 or 3 fresh stalks thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute (the recipes all called for coconut sugar or brown sugar)
2 teaspoons hot red chili paste ( 1 minced jalapeño instead) 
1 teaspoon turmeric paste (not sure this added anything but color)
zest of one small lime
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce (I will decrease this a bit next time)
2 heaping tablespoons red curry paste

Bring to a simmer and gently cook until the chicken is done. ( about 20 minutes)  Serve this deliciousness piping hot, but if you use fresh lemongrass make sure you don't eat it.

This was so good, and before we were through eating there was only about a cup full of soup left for me to have for lunch. Just typing this makes me want more. 
It is an easy, quick and delicious soup meal.

* I used 2 chicken tenders that were frozen. I let them thaw about 10 minutes and was able to slice the still icy tenders very thin.

** The links are not to affiliate products. They are just what I use

24 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!
    Question about you freezing your herb pastes...do you leave them in original containers, thaw them out before using or use them frozen? I buy the ginger paste but it usually goes bad before I use it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I open it I out it in the freezer in its original container. To use it I just keep it in my hands a little while and kind of knead the tube until it loosens a little. Sometimes I do have to use a toothpick to get the frozen bits out of the nozzle, but that is a small inconvenience. Then I plop it back on the shelf in the freezer door. I have never had any go bad that way.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I am definitely going to try to freeze my ginger paste. :)

      Delete
  2. Yummy ... and bring on the heat! I'm going to have to borrow your term, 'asbestos mouth.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks delicious and I'm sure it tasted wonderful! This is the type of soup my daughter likes to eat - spicy and flavorful. I think I shall make it for her on her next visit home. :) I'll call it a variation, too, because I, too, don't have galangal, which is the "kha" in the name of the soup! And I'll probably add lemon grass instead of the lime leaves and lime zest because I don't have them, either! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about making it your own. As long as it is good who cares?

      Delete
  4. Asbestos Mouth....yeah, not me either. I'm with the Hubs. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not just my mouth that suffers. Stomach problems means I do not eat any heat. What is the origin of this type soup and flavors? It does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is based on a Thai soup. I have only had it at a Thai restaurant before.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was delicious and easy which is a double win in my book.

      Delete
  7. I love soup too and use an awful lot of fish sauce - guess I like the salty anchovy taste. Your soup looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use fish sauce also, but I think about a tablespoon and a half would work better for me. I am not a salt lover

      Delete
  8. This soup looks and sounds delicious. I am going to make this next week. Thanks for sharing. I will omit the galangal also. I googled it and it is pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. The next time I am at the Asian market I might pick up some galangal just to see what flavor difference it makes.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the recipe! It does sound tasty! Thanks for the tip to freeze the ginger paste tubes too; I hadn't thought to do that...I have a tube of wasabi in the fridge now, so I'll remember that for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a shelf filled with herb mixes and spice pastes in the freezer and they last a long time frozen

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a very flavorful soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was flavorful and we will be having it again sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  11. There is nothing better on a cold winter night than a hot plate of soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wwe really did enjoy it, then I got to enjoy a cup of the leftover soup for lunch.

      Delete
  12. My husband would love that soup!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.