Translate

Monday, February 26, 2024

Another Week of Joys and Foods

This week I really was off my decluttering game. In fact the only thing I even moderately decluttered was getting rid of some clothes I will never wear again. 
I had a pair of pants I had packed and planned to wear out to eat while we were in Fairhope last week. Fortunately or unfortunately (I will leave this up to you, the reader) the hotel room had a full size mirror in the hallway of the room. You guessed it__I came, I saw, I changed into a pair of jeans, and as soon as we were home, put those atrocities in a Goodwill box. (Had to be the pants right? No way it could have been the person in them). Once I started a load I thought I might as well go through everything hanging and get rid of anything I did not think I would wear again.  Damn mirror!




Monday: I was glad to be back home, able to do a little laundry, get back in a routine, and read a bit__mainly glad to read!
Dinner: I had intended to make a cheeseburger salad, but when I talked with TheHub before he came home from work, he told me he had a big salad lunch. Back to the drawing board! This is exactly why I keep things in the freezer that can be thawed and cooked in a few minutes.
Hamburger patty, sautéed peppers, onions, and super thin potato slices

Tuesday: It was a drop dead gorgeous day, with lovely spring like weather. When I was out driving around I saw daffodils blooming and the shrubs are showing signs of that beautiful spring green. I love it. And a bonus for the day was the sale price on frozen tuna  filets. The day felt like an all around win!
Dinner: I had planned on air frying some chicken, but decided I did not want to have that much clean up. Instead I changed plans a little.
Orange ginger glazed chicken, smashed potatoes, tossed salad

Wednesday: Another gorgeous day in the hood. I woke, got gussied up and went to my weekly class, came home and got everything in order to go to my happy place.  My beloved sister has started going with me sometimes and I love having someone to talk and laugh with driving from here to there. It only takes about 30 minutes which is not a long time, but there is really nothing to see from the interstate between my house and the exit. It's much better to have a passenger!
This time the participants made nachos and as a bonus I had mini moon pies for them. I think they really liked it.
Dinner: We never celebrate Valentine's day on the actual day, and had made reservations for dinner on the 15th. We needed to reschedule because we had to leave town last Thursday afternoon. They had an availability for Wednesday at the time we wanted so we took it. It was the first time I have ever been to Automatic Seafood. What a treat!
Scallops for me, Grouper for TheHub, rolls, and creamed spinach

Thursday: It was beautiful once again. After all the rains we had this winter the gorgeous days are much more appreciated. Now the forsythia is blooming along with a few trees. The best thing is the days are warm enough to have the house open and aired out before the Big Pollen Dump. I fear it is coming early this year.
Dinner: I did not give a hoot what TheHub did or did not eat for lunch. We were having what I wanted!
Cheesburger salad

Friday: It rained in the wee hours  of the morning then the sky was blue all day. Instead of doing any sorting I did minimal laundry, drank a lot of coffee and read.
TheHub wanted to do something besides stay home, so I kind of dressed up (OK I  showered, put on clean clothes and makeup) so I would be ready the minute he came home. It was still light, more like an early twilight. I am very lucky that when you walk out my front door you can see the moon. rising. Friday the sky was a blueish purple with a beautiful full moon. as if that was not enough I could see the glow of sunset through the trees. We hopped in the car to ride up to the bluff, We missed the actual sunset, but the afterglow in the sky was brilliant scarlet and tangerine. I told TheHub we had a bookend sky experience. Dinner: Once had finished looking at the amazing sky, we headed to our favorite "just beyond the neighborhood" place. While there imagine my surprise when I ran into one of my childhood friends. I do not remember a time when I did not know her. She has recently moved to my area of town so I could possibly see her more often.
Wedge salad or flatbread

Saturday: The day was a little cooler, but far from chilly. It was gorgeous while TheHub and I went out to do some errands along with a little exploring. Daffodils are blooming everywhere along with several tree varieties, and dandelions which I find a menace if they pop up in my own yard, are quite beautiful in other folk's yards.
While running around/driving about we decided we were hungry. One of our resolutions for the year is to try new to us places to eat. We had been in a rut and seemed to go to the same 6 or 7 places over and over. Saturday we tried Donato's pizza and had not been there previously. 
Neither of us are huge pizza fans and both chose something other than a red sauce based meal.. The Italian chef's salad was a perfect lunch for me, but TheHub's sandwich looked delicious also.
We got home in time to watch Kentucky skunk Alabama's basketball team. Oh well, then ended the night watching the current episode of "Masters of the Air"
Dinner: While out, we ran by Snapper Grabber to pick up some fish for Sunday's dinner, and also bought  1/2 pound steamed shrimp. I am not a big shrimp fan but an easy dinner is an easy dinner.
Steamed shrimp, coleslaw

Sunday: We went to church, came home and watched a little bit of Alabama's softball game. TheHub had to run into the office, so I read while he was gone. Once he came back to the house we went out, rode around a little then ran a couple of errands before coming home. BTW I am stocked to the gills with groceries now!
Dinner: This meal was not even thought of when I planned my menu last week. I blame the impulsive visit to Snapper Grabber Saturday morning.
Grilled swordfish with yuzu sauce, broccoli, tossed salad.

What might happen this week:
1. Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans, cucumber salad
2. BBQ cheeseburger waffles, cauliflower side dish TBD
3. Chicken divan (ton of broccoli left over from Sunday's dinner to use)
4. Hot and sour soup, spring rolls
5. Big salad meal TBD
6. Potential celebration meal at a restaurant
7.Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, tossed salad

Hope you have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.

Books read thus far in February*
Lillian Boxfish takes a Walk
The Nightingale

Be sure to look for your joys this week. No matter how small they are always out there!
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

* Seriously bad reading month

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful spring weather with flowers blooming is one of the best joys around. We're not there yet, but will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are nowhere near full spring bloom but it has started and the start is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. The weather was 72 and beautiful today, which is one of my favorite joys. I wish we had more days just like this in the south.

    Mirrors are so unforgiving. I ask Bailey and she will give me an honest answer for sure. LOL

    I'm thinking I want a cheeseburger salad for dinner now, but I'm cooking more chicken in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the cheeseburger salad, but chicken is pretty darn good too!

      Delete
  3. These have been beautiful days, for sure. The tulip trees are in bloom. I saw one in full bloom today while out. The one in sight of my chair is getting pinker every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the ornamental cherries are blooming right now and a few of the ornamental plums are budding but not quite blooming. The tulip trees near me are just about finished and the petals are dropping.

      Delete
  4. You have snow envy, I have warm weather envy! We got another 3 inches of the darned stuff today, with more expected on the weekend.

    Your week sounded lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tromping around in flip flops as we speak. I think we are going to get to open the pool early this year

      Delete
  5. I have a full-length mirror in my bedroom. If I looked at myself in it, I probably wouldn't ever leave the house. Pollen is already horrible where I live. My eyes and my throat itch. I sneeze frequently. I'm sorry it will be coming your way.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure we are going to have a pollen deluge sooner rather than later this year. Not looking forward to it, but I am enjoying these days when I can have the house opened.

      Delete
  6. Too funny about the full length mirror! Sounds like you had a good week and I hope you have many more days of pleasant weather before the pollen dump takes place! Your meal plan sounds good, too; I'm curious about the cheeseburger waffles ... is it a cheeseburger on a waffle instead of a bun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those dash mini waffle irons and will make a few then the cheeseburger topping will be more like a bbq sloppy joy with sautéed vegetables and cheese

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining that! I eat waffles with curry, sometimes and that's not that different, is it?

      Delete
  7. I need to get rid of some of my clothes too...just too lazy to do it. It looks like that you had a quite delicious week. Would love some grilled swordfish and scallops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get scallops anytime we go to a good seafood restaurant. When we were at the fish market we were debating between the sea bass or swordfish. Our final decision was delicious.

      Delete
  8. I love the Fish Market but I haven’t been there to eat since preCovid. I have a Winnie the Pooh figure despite being, barely, within the top end of my normal weight range according to my height, so I avoid full length mirrors. Winnie the Pooh (me) will always be round in the middle, even when a skinnier version… lol. Yes, the weather has been gorgeous, and I opened all doors and cleaned my house this weekend. It was also a lovely weekend ( and this week also) for walking. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been dang near perfect, but I think it might change quickly.

      Delete
  9. I'm just now getting back to reading books. I read about 4 last year, so don't beat yourself up about it lol! We too need to purge clothing. I think once we get the hallway finished we will have more free time for that. Your menu is always intriguing. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to read a book each week. Obviously I have fallen short this month.

      Delete
  10. Your menu sounds delicious as always. We are in that roller coaster weather pattern. 30 degrees one day 70 degrees the next. It makes dressing a challenge. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure we will have one more cool snap and then we will be in full on spring (pollen)

      Delete
  11. I love me a good cheeseburger salad! ... Yet, now you have me craving a big plate of gooey nachos.
    (Trying again -- blogger 'ate' my first comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cheeseburger salad also. We really should have it more often, especially since the focus is on the salad stuff with a little ground chuck to top it off

      Delete
  12. Cheeseburger salad sounds so good right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Next time I have it come on over.

      Delete
  13. the good weather must be contagious, as we have been having some warm weather here in Southern Ontario as well. Just had a good throw out in our closet as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope this early spring does not mean we will be living in an inferno this summer.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.