Translate

Sunday, December 7, 2025

18 Days till Christmas

 We woke, went to the early morning communion service, early morning traditional service, followed by Sunday school. It is the 2nd Sunday of Advent which meant it was time for the lighting of the peace candle. I love this time of year and all of the traditional hymns celebrating the season, so I thought 2 songs are best for the day. One is not a Christmas song but it does represent the Advent candle lighting, and the other is one of my favorite Christmas hymns.




I did no decorating or Christmas baking but I did take an accidental nap. We were watching the Alabama basketball game and I dozed for about an hour, It felt good until I woke and realized I had been sound asleep in a weird sitting position. Things were kind of stiff and creaky when I stood up..

Dinner was a hamburger patty smothered in cooked onions, saffron rice, and green beans. I had almost forgotten how to cook, since it has been a while since I made an actual meal.

When I was getting the ground chuck out of the freezer, I noticed some sweet bread TheHub bought at the November Merry Market. I stuck it in the freezer because he overbought goodies that day. We just have to agree I reacted to it's siren song and I suppose you might say we indulged in some Christmasy bread, but I have no idea what kind (other than delicious) it really was.

After we ate, we both got in our respective TV spots, covered up with blankets and watched 2 Christmas movies. TheHub was the one who slept through parts of both. movies this time.

All in all, it was a good day!

17 comments:

  1. Both those songs are among my favorites. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Sundays are meant to be days of rest, in any case, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day, Anne. The Wintley Phipps - Let There Be Peace on Earth song is a beautiful one. I am loving this time of year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good slow day! I love this time of year also.

      Delete
  3. We took a non-accidental Sunday afternoon nap - much needed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emanuel is a favorite of mine, too. I have seen this version before and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites. As much as I love hymns that are sung, the instrumental versions slay me.

      Delete
  5. And "Let There Be Peace on Earth" is another favorite. It brings back childhood memories of singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and can still sing the alto part from high school choir.

      Delete
  6. I actually like Advent more than X'mas :-) Made burger patties for my husband yesterday too. Haven't watched any X'mas movies yet...any recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Love Actually, The Family Stone, Christmas Vacation, The Bells of St Mary's, The Bishop's Wife (original), A Christmas Story, A Christmas Carol, and Scrooged

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely day, including the nap. Though I can relate to the creakiness of waking up after sleeping in a chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking and walking was not my best moment until I stood and shook all the creaks out.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day. I love the waking up creaky that is my normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always creak but napping while weirdly sitting upright added a whole new dimension to my noise level.

      Delete
  9. I love O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. Our church in Maryland had a wonderful organist. Singing the hymns was such a pleasure. Your relaxing Sunday sounds lovely, in spite of a bit of creaking after your nap.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.