This was one of those weeks that was not truly busy, but had somewhere to go and something to do most days. The coming week looks like more of the same. Too many days of getting gussied up and wearing makeup!
Monday, Feb. 9: I had a quick cup of coffee, then needed to get ready to go to my Happy Place. I generally go in the afternoon, after they have eaten lunch, but Monday's volunteering at Independence Place was before they ate. Oops! I was pretty sure after making and eating strawberry shortcake (full size portions) they were not hungry for their lunches. My bad, not really sad though. They enjoyed it.
My Beloved Sister went with me and normally we laugh the entire time, but I was not feeling well, and not really in the mood to laugh a lot.
Once home I sat in the recliner in the den and was about to kick back and close my eyes for a minute when I noticed a missed call and voicemail. It was my best friend from college. I had not spoken to P in years and returned her call. After a long conversation we made plans to meet soon for dinner.
What I learned: I learned I should have my rear kicked for not getting in touch with P. and other friends I have not talked with in a while. Our conversation picked up like we had just talked to each other last week.
Dinner: I was looking through the refrigerator freezer and found several things which were stashed in there that should have been put into the upright freezer.
We were both slightly hungry, but neither of us felt like a real meal. Glad I found these!
Egg rolls (5 total so we each had 2 and split the 5th)
Tuesday, Feb. 10: This was a stay at home day. I love being able to put on hang around the house clothes with a moisturizer only make up routine. The day was an overcast gray, and even though it was not cold at all, I still enjoyed going nowhere. I was able to do laundry, some mending, some Olympics watching, and some reading. (Notice how skillfully I avoided working in the laundry room or my closet. I am an expert at avoidance.)
What I learned: I learned one of the two US representatives who blocked the vote on the The Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena (UAP) Disclosure Act of 2023 was from my state. Wonder why?
Dinner: Steak, tossed salad, toast
Wednesday, Feb.11: I went to my Wednesday class and got home before the rain started, though it was more of a drizzle than real rain. The rest of the day was spent doing odds and ends around the house, and gathering things to be donated to The Exchange Club.
What I learned: After watching the Olympics curling event, I learned about pebbling the ice and how technical ice management is to the game.
Dinner: Hamburger patty with caramelized onions, mashed potatoes, coleslaw
Thursday, Feb. 12: I was fortunate to be able to have lunch with most of my book club. We are now down to just 5 of us, but they are good and close friends of mine. I think the one person in it I have been friends with the least amount of time is a 25+ year friend. I guess you would say we have some history together.
What I learned: Laughter is by far the best medicine. Laughter with close friends is even stronger medicine.
Dinner: TheHub had also been out for lunch with 2 of his good friends. We both ate substantial meals at lunch and just wanted the bare minimum for dinner.
Soup
Friday Feb. 13: We do not do a traditional Valentine's Day celebration. When we were younger we went nout Valentine's night, then about 10 years ago we decided we did not need to do that anymore. Instead we would go out either the night before or the night after. This year we might have turned into actual Memaw's and Pepaw's. Instead of going out Friday night, we went out for lunch Friday afternoon.
Bayonet is a relatively new restaurant which received a recent Michelin award. It has been hard to get dinner reservations since then, but we were happy to eat later. It was delicious! If you have never had swordfish "pastrami" I would say drop everything, head to Birmingham and order it.
What I learned: Go to restaurants, that are difficult to get into at night, for a late lunch. You get the same quality, lower prices (still not low at Bayonet) and less crowds.
Dinner: I would have been happy to go without dinner, but TheHub was not.
Zaxby's chicken tenders, coleslaw
Saturday, Feb. 14: Happy Valentine's Day, or in our case Happy Saturday. The only celebrating we did was to exchange cards. Though TheHub usually get me flowers, I suggested we skip them this year. I have a planned Fat Tuesday dinner and was getting some flowers to reflect that day. There was no need to double dip with flowers for two occasions. The thought was enough.
We watched some Olympics, Bama softball, and men's basketball. That was enough sports watching for one day.
What I learned: Things I needed to do will not get done if my rear is on the couch watching various competitions.
Dinner: I was trying a new to us recipe.
Spicy pork bowl
Sunday Feb.15: We had our normal Sunday morning with the early communion service, followed by a traditional worship, then Sunday School. We are having company for Mardi Gras dinner and stopped by Publix to snag a King cake. It's lucky we stopped because I got the last one they had.
Once home I changed out the Valentine's decor for a Mardi Gras theme. It was really a lot of work for something that would only be up for a few days, but such is life. I may decide to let it stay around until later when I change over to St. Patrick's Day, or I may take it down and just have succulents on the table. I do like the way the dining room looks. It's festive!
I did not get as much done to the house as I hoped it would, but it just means Monday I will have to do a lot.
What I learned: I need to go to bed earlier. I do not function well with just 4 hours sleep.
What I learned: I need to go to bed earlier. I do not function well with just 4 hours sleep.
Dinner: A totally uninspired meal.
Chicken and dumplings
Potential remaining meals for the February plan:
Crock pot beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green beans
Gumbo, coleslaw, cornbread (changing this to jambayla)
Persian chicken, rice, broccoli
Tuscan chicken bake, mixed green salad
Veggie frittata, berry compote
Pizza in a bowl, side salad
Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, tossed salad, dinner rolls
Spaghetti, tossed salad
Creamy pork tenderloin, marinated cucumber salad
Pork chops, sautéed cabbage, cornbread
Pickle Poppers, chips (Basketball game meal)
Eggroll in a bowl
Mac and cheese, black eyed peas, turnip greens, cornbread
Chicken fajita soup, tortilla chips
Kraut and franks, green beans, cornbread
Greek style chicken, rice, spinach salad
Meatloaf, new potatoes, brussels sprouts
Used from the freezer this week:
3 packs strawberries
1 pack egg rolls
1 pack ground pork
1 container soup
Groceries Bought this month:
1 bell pepper
2 cucumber
1 broccoli crown
1 broccoli crown
1 bag coleslaw mix (convenience purchase)
1 carton grape tomatoes
3 romaine lettuce hearts
2 turkey tenderloins (BOGO freezer stock up)
2 ham steaks (BOGO freezer stock up)
1 pack Wahl Burgers (4 burgers, 2 frozen for later)
1 carton cauliflower mash
1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
1 loaf cheddar bacon bread
1 pack sesame sticks
1 pack ham base
1 pack chicken base
2 cans rotel
1 can tahini
1 jar bread and butter pickles
1 jar duck sauce
1 jar pickled green tomatoes
2 oz, lecithin
Cucumber dill dip mix
6 total containers sugar free chocolate coated pecans, cashews, and peanuts
2 boxes graham crackers BOGO
1 King Cake (Fat Tuesday dinner)
2 Mott's apple juice (BOGO)
1 bag peanut butter filled pretzels
Books read this week:
The Rules of Magic
Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
I love chicken and dumplings, so I would have considered that an inspired meal. 😋
ReplyDeleteI love it but never plan on making it. It was just one of those days when I needed something fast and easy.
DeleteI so agree with your definition of "the best medicine"! And I mean REAL laughter, not the put-on, polite variety. I'm thinking Tom would love swordfish "pastrami." We've each birthdays in the coming weeks; will have to wait and see how quickly that new hip heals.
ReplyDeleteI hope the hip heals sooner rather than later.
DeleteI bought a Mardi Gras king cake (cheese) from Publix in Tuscaloosa at the first of the month… lol. I, with help from the dogs, ate it very quickly, lol. This week was hectic at work and I made mustard green soup and just added stuff to it like leftover chicken, vegetables, during the week, etc. I visited my oldest son on Valentine’s Day, drove the forest route, went to the farm, and then drove back and dropped something off to ex, and then headed home. An 8 hour round trip wears me out now! I was not worth a quarter on Sunday! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteIts funny, I used to be able to drive 10 hours straight. Now riding is a bit too much. We have even decided when we go to Nashville we are going to make plans to spend the night. No more one day trips for us.
DeleteSounds like a busy week to me. Hope the week ahead is a good one.
ReplyDeleteIt was not really busy, but it was a full week. This week promises to be the same.
DeleteI have never heard of Swordfish pastrami, and it sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI'm at the stage where I prefer to go out for lunch instead of dinner.
I had never heard of it either. That's why I ordered it. It was a pastrami flavored swordfish reuben and it was outstanding.
DeleteLaughter is the best medicine.
ReplyDeletersrue.blogspot.com
It is.
DeleteAfter the party balloon incident in El Paso, maybe the UAP act will come up again. Got to disclose those toddlers and their fun if it's in our airspace. I now know more about Curling than I've ever had need to know. I found myself googling what "having hammer" meant. It's all good fun to see sports that I probably won't see for another four years. Monobob is my new favorite to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed the more unusual sports this winter. I love everything that uses the bobsled track? trail? run? whatever it's called.
DeleteYou have been out and about. How wonderful it must be to live in one place for such a long time that you can have the same friends for years and years. My ex-husband always wanted to move to different places for this or that reason. I'm glad I've been in the same house since 2009--the longest I've been in one place.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I have lived in my current house since 1998, but before that I lived 2 streets away.
ReplyDeleteI think it is wonderful you are reconnecting with friends. I look at my closest friends and realize we've been friends for at least 30 years. It seems amazing that much time has past!
ReplyDeleteI'm in agreement, things aren't getting done around here either as I'm spending far too much time on the couch watching the Olympics. My excuse, it's only two weeks and my knee is still healing. :)
I've been a tad busy so far this week, but except for the housework part it has been pretty nice.
DeleteSounds to me like you had an exciting week would have been more exciting if you had just gone into the scary rooms.
ReplyDeleteNope the scary room is just going to have to amuse itself for a while
DeleteYou have packed a lot into a post!
ReplyDeleteOld friends you can pick up with like no time passed are the best.
Valentine's lunches on any February day are another very good thing.
THe Valentine's lunch was lovely and we were very smart to go after the traditional lunch rush was over.
DeleteSounds like a god week to me, Anne. Staying home, talking with an old friend, book club. You can’t beat that. Egg rolls for dinner would work for me too one night.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
THe egg rolls were a perfect dinner for us.
Deletesince our anniversary is Feb 1, we have not really ever done valentine's day. But if we do go out to a restaurant, we go at lunchtime! so much easier and usually cheaper.
ReplyDeleteHave I told you how much easier you make my life when I read your grocery list and your food list. My brain gets stuck on certain meals and it seems that I can't think of anything new to cook until I visit her. Thanks so much for all of the help...
ReplyDeleteJust wondering what UAP actually refers to? I have nary a clue :)
ReplyDeleteUnidentified Aerial Phenomena
Delete