Translate

Saturday, February 28, 2026

Oh no just 10 months til Christmas

Another month has passed and I have done very little in the way of Christmas prep. In my mind, I can think of a gozillion things I should be doing, and I think I want to do them, but . . .



I started my vanilla extract so it will be full strength in time for Christmas baking. It is kind of pointless since I no longer do the baking I once did, but if I decide to go whole hog cookie making this Christmas season, the vanilla will be ready. I needed more anyway.

I only purchased one gift the past month, and it was a gift for Pip. It is something she said she would like and I hope she forgets she told me about it, so it can be a total surprise. 

I do have several gift ideas I overheard and noted in the secret spy section of my Christmas notebook*.


It is interesting to hear what my adult sons wish for now. I can remember a time when they wanted the latest gadget or some totally self indulgent item. Now they want things like a new socket wrench, or a vacuum cleaner. How living life changes our desires!

I shut the door to the Room of Horrors, and though everything Christmas is up there and in its designated container, I still have not gotten the closet arranged as I want it to be. Why? Because this room is not used for anything else, and it is easier to just shut the door and forget about it. Procrastination, laziness or both?

Now on to March!

*black and white composition notebook with Christmas note paper glued on the covers and red duck tape on the binding

22 comments:

  1. Hello, my friend. I have a special section in my planner so I can copy you and plan for Christmas all year! I buy gifts all through the year, and I though I would write who they are for and maybe even wrap them! The thought is still there. I was just thinking about doing it! I have a closet in the extra bedroom where things are stored now. I just need to get up and do it! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am full of ideas and good intentions. Having to be transparent on this blog keeps me in line.

      Delete
  2. I’ve already bought one Christmas present this year too.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am up to a total of 3 gifts bought so far, but I do have a lot of ideas noted in the book already.

      Delete
  3. I made a lot of vanilla extract last November and would be great for next baking season :-)) Have fun with your Room of Horrors, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the longer vanilla beans sit in the vodka, the better the final product is.

      Delete
  4. Those Rolling Stones knew a truth or two, didn't they? My Christmas bins are still sitting on the garage floor, waiting to be sorted through properly before being stacked in a corner. I need to stop procrastinating and sort through them before the garage becomes a furnace and it is too hot to stay in there for more than a minute or two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just put away the last of our Christmas items (I think). I found a couple of bows in the garage that we had used outside. Now they are with the rest of the Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible I will find another rogue item or two, but if I do they are hidden well right now.

      Delete
  6. I have pages in my " mom's planning notebook" for Chistmas closer to thecseason but not a notebook dedicated Christmas. But, forget things...a lot of things so perhaps I need a better system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am notebook addict. I have them for travels, to do's around the house, Christmas, recipes to try, restaurants to try etc.

      Delete
  7. Happy March. Hope it is a good one.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. To each his own. I would be SO tired of Christmas by the time it rolled around if I approached it as you do. I also found, (particularly when I had littles running around) that the more an event was built up, the less enjoyable it became, because it didn’t measure up.
    Here we are planning a St. Patrick’s Day celebration (corned beef and Guinness cake). Back in the day we would have the littles build Leprechaun traps to set out at night, with a Guinness as bait. They never nabbed one, he was always too smart, but he used to leave them a bag chocolate coins for trying!
    Currently, I have a few spring/Easter decorations (quilts and 3 light up Easter houses.) I like the aesthetic of those holidays, but the observation is little more than some special treats during the run up (homemade peanut butter eggs) and perhaps, based on schedules, a family meal on the day. I guess, now more than ever, we are simply happy being in the present.
    -Meg B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy being ready for whatever is coming. I do try to keep some sort of holiday theme on the dining room table. Christmas is the only holiday I actually decorate for.

      Delete
  9. I bought some Christmas presents during after-Christmas sales. I felt good about that. I haven't made any other Christmas preparations, and my own Room of Horrors remains horrifying. I might have cleaned up one or two items in it. I continue to be influenced by you, though. I light a candle nearly every day. I've been making my own vanilla extract for a few years. Some years I go on a baking spree, but not the last two Christmases. It will happen again. I've also given vanilla in pretty bottles as gifts.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flavor of homemade vanilla. I am down to half a bottle but I am baking nothing right now so it should last until the new batch is ready. I have been using either the candles or wax melts daily and it really does give me a lift.

      Delete
  10. I love the note book!
    Even though you regularly mention the room of horrors I have only now realised my own bedroom is the room of horrors. All the things I can't find a home for or can't make a decision on are in my room so they don't clutter shared spaces.
    Wishing you luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get back to it__eventually, but I am not inspired right now. My laundry room needs attention first.

      Delete
  11. Those black/white composition books are so homely aren't they? I love your make-over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will use any excuse to keep from doing actual work, like decorating notebooks!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.