This is a little list of what I did during the 12th month before Christmas to prepare for a Merry '26.
(Ok, I really can wait)
Gathering Christmas:
Boxed up all wrapping paper*
Boxed up all the gift bags
Boxed up all ribbons, and tchotchkes I tie to bows
Took down the trees, put them in their assigned bags and got them to the basement.
Boxed all lights based on the tree where they belong.
Stripped the trees, and have ornaments sorted by what room and tree they belong.
Removed all things Christmas, except for my Christmas music box collection and the carolers on the foyer table. They were no longer singing around a Christmas tree, they were just singing in the snow (or pillow stuffing.)**
Removed the Christmas themed dining room table centerpiece.
Decorated for January. I has no idea why I had a snow and ice theme. It was either overly warm or too cold here, but nothing consistent and certainly no snow. Some of this decor disappeared at the end of the month but a few things on the table carried over to the Valentine's table.
Sorted through all remaining Christmas cards, have them organized to address along with an updated card list.
Played a couple of Christmas tunes because I could.
Organized my Spotify Christmas play lists. (I now have 5 different Christmas play lists because I never know what type of Christmas music I want to listen to.)
In my 2026 Christmas notebook:
Sketched decorating ideas for next year. I like to change things up a little year to year
Noted a couple of ideas I overheard for potential gifts for next year.
Bought:
2 Christmas gifts. (Not saying what because one DIL reads the blog and one might be for her)
3 Strange decorative picks. I do not need them but they were so wonderfully odd that I knew I would regret passing them up. It helped that they were reduced 75%, because I never would have bought them at full price. (Now I wish I had bought 5 of them. Oh well)
Huge props to TheHub who carried everything upstairs for me. I am still in the sorting and packing for storage. (The room of horrors has returned for the moment)
Now on to Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras!
* I might need another roll of paper for next year, but found nothing I liked after Christmas.
**They were removed Jan 31st.
Sounds like you put everything away in an organized manner which will make things that much easier next Christmas.
ReplyDeleteIt is still not completely away, but is in the room of horrors in specific containers based on where they will be going next Christmas in the order I will put it out.
DeleteNow I knew you did seasonal decorations but I thought it might be just for big occasions. This reads like you change it up every month? I'm interested to know more. Do you run with the same themes each year?
ReplyDeleteGood work getting all the things packed away, it's the most boring job ever
I traditionally do seasonal decorations on the dining room table. Last year I did none because TheHub had commandeered the table as his "office". There is no theme but I do tend to reuse the same things more or less. Since December though, I have actually reused the same concept, only changing things necessary to create whatever season I am decorating for. Mardi Gras will be the last time I use the general set up. St. Patricks Day will see a complete change. I will try and remember to take a photo of the Valentine's table.
DeleteYou sound well organized for the next Christmas celebration. I haven't found any gifts yet, but like you, I do tend to buy throughout the year.
ReplyDeleteI am not quite organized, but definitely getting there. I shop all year long, but only buy smallish gifts until we are at the beginning of the season.
DeleteSounds like you put away Christmas in a nicely organized manner and decorating in 2026 should be a snap! :)
ReplyDeleteI may overdo the decorations and it is never a snap. It takes me quite a while to get it like I want it to be, but at least there will be an order to it.
DeleteYou are so well organized and always plan ahead....
ReplyDeleteOrganization is not my strong suit at all, so I have to force myself to do it
DeleteOk, that's actually kind of daunting when stated as 11 months. But, I've done so little the last few years it's not getting me worked up as in years, decades past. As I'm making significant purchases on behalf of my kids this year, Christmas is going to be very light in the gift giving so Id like to put a bit more wow into the experiences.
ReplyDeleteI like to give several gifts to each person, but they are mostly small gifts. It is just easier for me to be on the lookout for them every time I am out shopping, which honestly is not very often because I loathe shopping.
DeleteI always try to put things away in good order to make getting them out again easier. I also started putting things that I always want out first in their own separate tote.
ReplyDeleteThat is what I am doing in the room of horrors. I have changed some of the totes I use, relabeled and am making decisions about what I am going to use first, placing it closest to the closet door.
DeleteYikes! I know how and when I want to decorate this year. It will be a matter of making it happen and you will help to keep me on track. I'm burning a candle every day to keep a nice scent in the house, and there's something else you said you were doing that I copied and now I can't think of what it is! I'll probably remember at 2 a.m. You really do help me with your tips, Anne.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I have to write them down and if I publicly post a list I tend to feel obligated to do what is on it at least to some extent.
DeleteThe candle thing is one of my better ideas for me. I am alternating between candles and the wax melts and I have found having the common areas in the house smelling really good affects my mood for the better. Who knew?
I moved my tacky little white DG table top tree to the bedroom. I admit I miss my tacky little neon blue table top Christmas tree, which looked spectacular in my former blue/gray living room that was in my other house, but the new white table top one satisfies my tastefully challenged decorating…lol Cindy in the South.
ReplyDeleteI love this but wish you had a photo of the neon blue tree you could share
DeleteWill we have an entire year of the Christmas room? Inquiring minds want to know so we can judge you.:)
ReplyDeleteSince I am a procrastinator by nature, there is no telling when I will get everything put back in the closet in the order I will be decorating next year. Judge away!
DeleteI still need to go through the Christmas cards we received. I finally got my tree down 3 weeks ago. Good for you making plans for your decorations next year. You even bought a few gifts for next year. That's awesome. I mailed out some Valentines day cards but I don't decorate. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteI need to get my granddaughters Valentine in the mail. Thanks for the reminder.
DeleteHow neat to be organized like this for next Christmas. I love the notebook idea. Bailey and I do that often. Take notes for events and refer to them later.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
You sound like you are well ahead of the game, well done!
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo