Translate

Tuesday, February 3, 2026

February meals

 I think I like posting what I have bought throughout the month, because when I looked the list at the end of the month, I knew what was used and what I carried forward. It makes seeing what I need to use in February a little easier.
We have one fundraiser banquet this month and of course we will go out to eat for Valentine's Day, but never go on the 14th because it is too crowded and overpriced. Instead we will do our Valentining either the 13th or the 15th. 
We usually eat at a restaurant every week, but are limiting going out this month due to it being the height of the flu season here. As much as we enjoy it, we are not stupid and are avoiding overly crowded spaces.
With those two nights, a monthly minimum we need to use, and allowing for a couple of meals using leftovers I will only be planning meals for 22 days. I am positive we will not follow this new meal plan exactly but it does give me some direction when it comes time to cook. Other than shrimp for the gumbo, I have all the needed proteins in the freezer. My aim is to use things I have at the house and limit grocery shopping, however, I know me, and if I find a really good buy, need it or not, I will get it.



Groceries carrying forth: (only posting perishable foods here)
2 dozen eggs
appx. 2 pounds potatoes
1 cabbage
2 ish pounds onions 
3 scallions 
1/2 cauliflower
1/4 broccoli 
1/2 lb carrots 
4 small zucchini
1 container greek yogurt
1 container sour cream (used a couple of dollops)
1 block cream cheese 
1/2 gallon Almond milk (partially gone)
small loaf white bread (about half)
1 romaine heart 
1/2 cucumber
1 lb sausage
1 1/2  pack German style franks


Meal possibilities for the month:
Crock pot beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green beans
Spicy pork bowl, chopped salad
Hamburger patty, broccoli, mashed potatoes
Gumbo, coleslaw, cornbread
Butternut Squash soup, cornbread
Persian chicken, rice, broccoli
Fried chicken, potato salad, some green vegetable TBD
Tuscan chicken bake, mixed green salad
Veggie frittata, berry compote
Pizza in a bowl, side salad
Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, tossed salad, dinner rolls
Spaghetti, tossed salad
Creamy pork tenderloin, marinated cucumber salad
Hot dogs, coleslaw, "fries" (Super bowl meal)
Pork chops, sautéed cabbage, cornbread
Pickle Poppers, chips (Basketball game meal)
Eggroll in a bowl
Steak, baked potato, tossed salad
Mac and cheese,  black eyed peas, turnip greens, cornbread
Chicken fajita soup, tortilla chips
Cabbage and conecuh sausage, green beans, cornbread.
Kraut and franks, green beans, cornbread
Greek style chicken, rice, spinach salad
Meatloaf, new potatoes, brussels sprouts

I am positive I will not stick to this totally and will at least tweak some of the meals, but it is a good starting point for February.

I'm warmer and happy the days are getting longer!
















15 comments:

  1. I just bought lots of meat if I still have plenty in the freezer...but how could I resist if ribeyes are 30% cheaper than usual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be mighty happy with that menu. I saw the mac and cheese and realized I haven't made good thick, crunchy on top good mac and cheese on ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge mac and cheese fan, but TheHub loves it.

      Delete
  3. I really need to start writing out a list of "possible" meals. It's been fun to work meals from the freezer first. I'm trying a few new recipes in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My menu is just "possible" meals, because my cooking is always in flux.

      Delete
  4. Yum! January was going to be my bonus "keto-less month" -- but given this gloomy weather I've extended it to March. The slow cooker is definitely our home's MVP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My slow cooked gets cleaned and returned to the counter this winter. It has been used a lot.

      Delete
  5. You are so organized. I need to clean out my scary fridge. Not alot of food in there but still scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so unorganized which is why I am having to do all this stupid cleaning right now!

      Delete
  6. I'm only here for another 6 weeks'ish, so really need to keep an eye on what's in the fridge and freezer. Both will be emptied before I leave. Following your example, I'd made up a list of possible meals, and crossed off a couple last week. It will get very interesting once I'm down to the last week, I'm sure.
    Glad to hear it is warming up with more hours of daylight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to see what you come up with as the end draws near. Please share!

      Delete
  7. I want to come eat at your house!! Your meals are so well organized!!
    Speaking of staying out of restaurants, our daughter, son-in-law, and two granddaughters (6 1/2 and almost 2) ate out last Wednesday night. By Thursday night, the baby was throwing up every 30 minutes. By early Saturday morning, our daugher was sick, by 6:00 p.m. our son-in-law was sick. The six year old started throwing up around midnight. Then the in-town (not us) grandma got it . . .and then the granddad got it. I feel like it began in that restaurant because the little one doesn't go to daycare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year we go out to celebrate Valentine's day the day before or after the actual day. This year instead of going out for dinner we are having a late lunch at Bayonet, just to avoid the crowds.

      Delete
  8. I like your meal plan options. I didn't make a meal plan this week, but, I cooked some sliced chicken breasts with onions and lemon juice to have with salads and will be cooking some beef in a couple of ways to have with rice.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.