The past week started off in a frenzy of cleaning, cooking, and entertaining. DIL3's folks were in the states from Switzerland. Her dad was invited to learn to drive racing Porsches on a track in Birmingham, and her mom tagged along so she could visit.
They spent a few days together in Nashville before all heading down here.
Then, in the latter part of the week, TheHub and I watched Olympic events, Alabama sports, and then ended our week with a bang.
I hope we do not stop making plans to have fun times with people and/or events we enjoy.
Monday, Feb. 16: The day began getting my exchange club donations to the porch for pickup. Whoo hoo! 82 items were gone forever by 9:30.
I was having DIL3's parents over for a Mardi Gras dinner Tuesday night, and wanted the house to be as clean as possible (or at least as clean as I could get it in the time I had). They would be in Birmingham by Tuesday evening and it would be the first time they were in Alabama and at my home. You know that saying "you only get one chance to make a first impression." The house was not perfect, but it looked very nice, it was decorated for Mardi gras, the table was set, and my tail was dragging. I was happy for the night to come so I could stop working and watch some curling.
What I learned: I learned I have become a curling fan, at least for a couple of weeks every 4 years.
Dinner: Leftover pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, coleslaw
Tuesday, Feb. 17: I had a bit of last minute cleaning , grocery shopping, prepping to get everything ready for the evening meal. Son3 and DIL3 arrived a couple of hours before her parents were arriving and Son3 became my sous. It was nice to be able to have everything, except for the fish (which had to be broiled at the last minute) ready ahead of time. U and K arrived at the house, we had time for some drinks and appetizers prior to dinner. The evening was a huge success!
What I learned: A meal where most things could be made earlier in the day made the evening so much more pleasant for me. I could be part of conversations, rather than being a part time hostess while cooking.
Dinner: Jambalaya, rosemary steamed shrimp with remoulade and cocktail sauces, broiled grouper, tossed salad, french bread, king cake, chocolate chip cookies
Wednesday: DIL3 and Son3 took K and U out and about to see things in the city. Though they invited us to meet them for lunch we opted to let them have the day to themselves. We had arranged to take them all to dinner, and figured that was enough for the day.
I took all the Mardi Gras decorations down and made a St. Patrick's day dining table centerpiece along with a few St. Paddy's items I arranged in the foyer. Unnecessary? Yep but it is something I like to do.
We all met at Hot and Hot Fish Club for dinner, and also included Son2 and DIL2 in the reservations. We had a lovely meal and great conversations.
What I learned: DIL3 is currently doing the voice over for Po from The Teletubbies. I learned I can't tell much difference in an English speaking Po, vs. a Swiss German speaking Po.
Dinner: Obviously everyone ordered what they wanted, but DIL2 and I shared a salad and entree.
Crab salad (crab, kohlrabi, apple, radish, avocado puree), Seared duck, with grits, mushrooms, onions and broccolini
Thursday: Son3 and DIL3 took her mom to do a few things in town, including lunch at The Irondale Cafe (the inspiration for Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes novel). Though we would have liked to join them, we decided if we went lunch might last a little longer and take time away from other things they wanted to do. Instead I hung out at the house and did a mountain of laundry.
What I learned: Curling stones for the Olympic games are all made from granite found on a volcanic island off the coast of Scotland
Dinner: We invited DIL3's mom to eat (her dad had plans with the Porsche group) but their hotel was offering a Southern Cooking class and K decided she wanted to take it.
Roast chicken, broccoli, mashed potatoes, cheesecake
Friday, Feb. 20: We had a nice breakfast with Son3 and DIL3 before they left to head back to Nashville. After they left I did a little bit of straightening up. At first TheHub and I were watching the olympics, but I decided I wanted to watch "Blue Moon" and headed to our room with my Ipad. I did watch the movie, but as soon as it was over I fell asleep and took a long nap. I was fried and needed sleep.
What I learned: The song Blue Moon, which I always thought was written for and recorded by the DooWap group The Marcels, is actually credited to Rogers and Hart in 1934. There was a law suit however from a young man who claimed he wrote it in 1931. No idea what the truth is, but there was some financial compensation to the guy.
Saturday, Feb.21: We had another lazy day at home, getting the house back in order, reading and watching Bama softball and Bama basketball.
What I learned: Alabama's freshman softball pitcher, Vic Moten, is a "take no prisoners" beast. (And I mean that in the very best way. She is a fierce competitor). I am really going to enjoy watching her this season.
What I learned: Alabama's freshman softball pitcher, Vic Moten, is a "take no prisoners" beast. (And I mean that in the very best way. She is a fierce competitor). I am really going to enjoy watching her this season.
Dinner: Leftover grouper, tossed salad, leftover steamed shrimp
Sunday, Feb. 22: We went to our communion service, traditional worship and Sunday School. Once home we had about 45 minutes to get changed and eat a quick sandwich before heading downtown. We have season tickets to Birmingham's Broadway season and Sunday was MJ about the iconic Michael Jackson. It was a wonderful, high energy show, and one I enjoyed enough to see again.
They have just announced next year's season. I am not crazy about it but we will go ahead renew. We have really good seats, 8 rows from the stage smack dab in the middle. Our row is eye level with the stage so we neither have to raise nor lower our head to see everything. It is perfect for us. Season tickets guarantee we will keep the same seats we have had for over 15 years. I guess there are worse things than seeing Hamilton again.
What I learned:The definition of prodigal means living financially extravagant with little regard to assets and wastefully reckless. Gives a different perspective to the parable of the Prodigal Son.
Dinner: The last of the jambayla (Glad it is gone!)
Potential remaining meals for the February plan: (Since we ate a ton of leftovers this week, we did not eat many of the planned meals. The upside is there are many choices left.)
Crock pot beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green beans
Tuscan chicken bake, mixed green salad
Veggie frittata, berry compote
Pizza in a bowl, side salad
Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, tossed salad, dinner rolls
Spaghetti, tossed salad
Creamy pork tenderloin, marinated cucumber salad
Pork chops, sautéed cabbage, cornbread
Pickle Poppers, chips (Basketball game meal)
Eggroll in a bowl
Mac and cheese, black eyed peas, turnip greens, cornbread
Chicken fajita soup, tortilla chips
Kraut and franks, green beans, cornbread
Greek style chicken, rice, spinach salad
Meatloaf, new potatoes, brussels sprouts
Groceries bought this month:
1 bell pepper
2 cucumber
1 broccoli crown
1 broccoli crown
1 bag coleslaw mix (convenience purchase)
1 carton grape tomatoes
3 romaine lettuce hearts
2 turkey tenderloins (BOGO freezer stock up)
2 ham steaks (BOGO freezer stock up)
1 pack Wahl Burgers (4 burgers, 2 frozen for later)
1 carton cauliflower mash
1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
1 loaf cheddar bacon bread
1 pack sesame sticks
1 pack ham base
1 pack chicken base
2 cans rotel
1 can tahini
1 jar bread and butter pickles
1 jar duck sauce
1 jar pickled green tomatoes
2 oz, lecithin (emulsifier for homemade salad dressing)
cucumber dill dip mix
6 total containers sugar free chocolate coated pecans, cashews, and peanuts
2 boxes graham crackers BOGO
1 King Cake (Fat Tuesday dinner)
2 Mott's apple juice (BOGO)
1 bag peanut butter filled pretzels
1 pack andouille sausages
2 lbs grouper
2 lbs shrimp
2 bell peppers
3 lemons
1 onion
1 bunch celery
2 pounds rice (BOGO)
2 bags Tate's chocolate chip cookies (BOGO)
1 small cheese ball
1 small container antipasto
1 box triscuits
3 romaine hearts
3 cucumbers
1 bunch radishes
1 container cherry tomatoes
2 packs Ferrero Rocher chocolates (BOGO)*
1 bottle crystal hot sauce.
1 loaf french bread
1 bag VooDoo chips (It was Mardi Gras and I just had to)
Books read this week:
I, Judas (Re-read. I read it decades ago)
Have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
*Bought for the gold wrap as a decorative candy jar item for the Mardi Gras buffet table. The fact that it is chocolate and hazelnuts did not hurt.
That sounds like a really fun week you had. What do the parents think of the US coming from Switzerland? I went there a number of times when I was young as I have a lot of family there. It is such a gorgeous place.
ReplyDeleteHer folks grew up in Sweden (still have a home there) and have lived in Zurich most of their adult lives, but did have a couple of years living on the west coast here. They are familiar obviously with life in the states, but since DIL3 and Son3 moved from NYC to Nashville, they have become acquainted with life in the south and its slower pace. This was their first time this far south and I am not sure what they actually thought about it.
DeleteWe are visiting Zurich in the late spring and hope to meet them for dinner one night.
It's been years since I was there, but I think you will love Zurich. It is beautiful!
DeleteYour meals sound delicious 😋
ReplyDeleteYou have accomplished quite a bit.
Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦
Thanks for stopping by Linda! This week our meals were mostly leftovers, but they were still pretty dang tasty.
DeleteHi Anne, leftovers are good because we use up the food we have. Less waste. As well, I find that some things such as spaghetti 🍝 😋 taste better the second time.
Deletesounds like a lovely week and the food!
ReplyDeleteIt was a nice week. It would have been a better week if I kept the house in company shape always, but I don't. I overcooked Tuesday, but had enough for several leftover meals which is good for me.
DeleteIt is freezing today! I enjoyed the 82 degree weather last week but I am so over this weather today! It is supposed to warm up to the 70’s by Wednesday I think! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteYep my knee and hands are not happy with the rapid cool down!
DeleteYou're the most welcoming host. I'm sure they loved being in your home and your hospitality. I admit, by day 14, curling was not my first pick to watch again, but it was fun early..
ReplyDeleteI really did get hooked on curling. I don't need to watch it again until the next winter Olympics, but I thought it was great.
DeleteNo doubt, you made a super impression on DIL 3's parents ... one they'll be talking about for a long time.
ReplyDeleteI've never decorated for St. Paddy's day ... curious, since it's a personal Red Letter one. Methinks that must change.
I only have a dining room table decoration and a few things scattered in the foyer. It is not a lot but enough that it looks like I actually know it is happening.
DeleteIt's hard to keep a house company ready all the time unless you have help with the housework. I'm sure your home looked lovely for your guests, though. Sounds like you prepared some lovely meals, too. :)
ReplyDeleteThe house did look nice, just not perfect. Sadly the maid, cook, laundress, etc. are all named Anne
DeleteI'm sure you made not only a wonderful first impression but on every occasion after that. I'm sure they loved it!
ReplyDeleteWe had been around them several times before, but never had them in our home. We were so glad they came and really did enjoy the visit with them.
DeleteA Mardi Gras dinner was a fun idea. I think I'll do that next year. I have my favorite jambalaya recipe from the New Orleans School of Cooking. BTW, I really like your music choices today.
ReplyDeleteI went to the New Orleans School of Cooking one time when we were there. I think the instructor was named Joe Cahn, but I am not positive. It was a fun afternoon. I am sure the jambalaya recipe from there is really good.
DeleteAfter watching the film "Blue Moon" I knew I was going to use that song. The Queen song was just popped into my head when I was typing the post, which is what always happens.
You had a busy week! Your DIL3 must be very talented, and her parents are adventurous.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I'm a huge fan of curling and it makes me happy to hear you enjoy it too. I grew up in curling rinks and I know you did not. Most people say watching it is liking watching paint dry (some of my family members) but there is so much strategy to the game, a need for precision and some good luck too.
DIL3 is amazingly talented. Her folks have had wonderful lives, much more exciting than ours.
DeleteI had never seen curling before it became an Olympic sport that I noticed several Olympics previously. And no, curling was/is not a local sport.
isn't that funny? i had never known what prodigal actually meant!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea. I always thought it meant wayward, of course I had never thought to look up the meaning.
DeleteYour Tuesday night dinner sounds amazing! I’ve always wanted to eat at the Irondale cafe. It’s on my bucket list for sure.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
The Irondale Cafe is just your basic meat and three restaurant, but it literally sits right in front (or behind, depending on your point of view) the train tracks. If you ever head down this way to eat there, give me a heads up and I'll meet you!
DeleteHow cool that your daughter-in-law3 is a voice over!! I am mesmerized when I watch curling!
ReplyDeleteShe does a lot of voice overs for ads, but this is a first.
Delete