I seem to be letting my Discover Weekly Spotify playlist determine my music selections for the week. Monday the song Banana Bay appeared as the first song on the week's suggestions.
So this week's music will be all about bananas, or at least it will be until I can't think of any more banana songs when I might shift to any other tropical fruit.
Pretty song
I had not seen my friend, F, in several months. We caught up with all the comings and goings of our lives, as well as our (now adult) kids. It is hard to believe this group of little folks that used to run around playing in the yard are all now grown, and starting families of their own. Time flies!
What I learned: All the latest details about F's family. They had a lot of great news!
Listened to: Yes, We Have No Bananas
This was the first banana song that popped into my mind
Dinner: Finally. no more leftovers!
BBQ ribs, tossed salad
Tuesday: I woke to rain and an incredibly sore knee. There is definitely a correlation between barometric pressure and joints, no matter what "they" say.
I had mostly a stay at home and rest the knee type of day, which included a ton of reading, until late afternoon.
We had a surprise phone call. Son1 and Pip were coming for a visit later this week. Yay!!!!
TheHub decided he wanted to go to trivia. I really did not feel like it but I am trying very hard to be accommodating, so we went.
It was actually fun once we were there.
What I learned: At trivia I learned that a chiropodist is a term other countries use for what we call podiatrist.
Listened to: The Chiquita Banana Song
When I was a kid my mom and her sister used to sing this song they remembered hearing on the radio ad when they were kids
Dinner: We were at The Electric for trivia so we ordered dinner.
Pastrami sandwich, coleslaw
Wednesday: This was another stay at home day when I should have been getting the guest room and Pip's room ready for their visit instead of reading a good part of the day. Oops!!! And to think, I began the day with really good intentions.
What I learned: Put the book down and do what needs to be done before reading!
Listened to: Day-O!
Settled for lyrics rather than bananas in the title
Dinner: Tacos and all the fixings
Thursday: This was a different kind of day for us. A while back we bought tickets to see "The Miracle Worker" play performed on the grounds of Ivy Green, Helen Keller's birthplace.
It is located in Tuscumbia, Al. right in the far north west corner of the state. We had plans to do a little sightseeing, dinner, show, and then spend the night.
We got away a little later than we hoped we would because I still had to get the bedrooms ready for Son1 and Pip's visit, and TheHub had some business he had to take care of. In fact, I had to drive so he could be a part of a Zoom call scheduled for when we would be in the car.
We arrived at the hotel, unpacked, and drove to Muscle Shoals to have dinner, which was only a total of 15 minutes from the hotel then went back to the hotel, freshened up and headed to the play.
If I say it was wonderful, it is an understatement. The young girl who played Helen was truly amazing in an extremely difficult and physically challenging role. I would like to go back next summer to see it again.
Not very good photos of the staging for the play
Out building where Annie and Helen lived in seclusion
What I learned: Tuscumbia is a more vibrant place than I ever thought it was. Our next visit to the area will include a visit to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. (Had no idea it was there)
Listened to: Banana Phone
Pip reminded me of this song when I FaceTimed with her Tuesday afternoon. I would sing it along with her when we were talking on the phone when she was much younger.
Dinner: We ate at Champy's
Grilled tnederloins, coleslaw
Friday: This is when our plans changed. Son1 and Pip flew into Nashville Thursday. (It was several hundred $ cheaper than flying into Birmingham) They spent the night with Son3 and DIL3 and we left Tuscumbia and picked them up there after taking everyone out for lunch.
The ride back to Birmingham was brutal. It took us about 60 minutes just to get out of East Nashville. I am going to investigate alternate routes to bypass 40 and 65 until outside of the city. Nashville has definitely grown to big for its interstate system. In addition to moving at a snail's pace we were driving through torrential rains, almost the entire trip home.
Once here, Pip wanted to swim. She has always been a water child.
After swimming we were watching Young Sheldon. Her body was operating on a different time zone than mine, and finally at about 2:30 am she decided to go to bed. I stayed up about 30 minutes later straightening things up a bit.
What I learned: Traffic is as bad at 2:30 in Nashville as it is at 5:00
Listened to: Banana Pancakes
I love this song and listen to Jack Johnson a lot.
Dinner: We did not get home until much later than we planned. It was easier to order take out than to make anything.
Beef and broccoli, orange chicken, kung pao chicken
Saturday: I woke, still extremely tired at about 8 and all I could think (evil thoughts) was about waking Pip. I didn't, but I thought it!
Instead, I stumbled to the kitchen to make coffee___lots of coffee!
Son1 woke and came downstairs to join me (he went to sleep way before we did) and I enjoyed talking with him.
When Pip finally made her appearance at about 2:30 (though she swears she was awake by 1:30, TheHub and I were dressed to go to a wedding at 3. Our neighbor's son was getting married. We have known him since he was a little fellow and we were happy to get to be a part of his happy day.
We made it to the church in ample time and found a totally empty parking lot.
Unfortunately I did not have my glasses on when I checked the time (Friday evening ) I had written on my calendar. The 3 o'clock wedding was actually at 5.
Decisions! We contemplated going home, changing clothes for about and hour and a half, redressing and going to the wedding. (We had already decided to skip the rehearsal since Son1 and Pip were in town)
Once back at the house, we figured we did not have time to go at 5 and be back in time for Son2, Dil2, and My Beloved Sister who were all coming over for dinner at 6. Even a traditional protestant ceremony would be pushing it, leaving no time to cook.
One day this will be something funny we look back on, but Saturday there was no humor in it at all.
What I learned: Wear glasses when reading and double check everything.
Listened to: Banana Wind
Just a pretty Jimmy Buffet instrumental number. He must have needed a few more minutes for his album, but had no extra lyrics in his tank.
Dinner: We had invited family over to a simple dinner
Burgers, all burger fixings, Voodoo potato chips, watermelon
Sunday: Once again we skipped church because Pip and Son1 were here. We see them so seldom ( Usually 2 times a year) and I don't want to miss a moment they are here.
Sleeping Beauty AKA Pip woke with a plan. She wanted to go thrifting. For a non shopper like me, I would ordinarily take a big pass, but for my only grandchild, yep, I went happily.
On our way home from Goodwill we passed an Asian grocery store. Suddenly Pip NEEDED tteokbokki. I had never heard of it before but you can bet your boots we stopped there. $42 dollars later we left. It turns out just the front aisles were all Asian, but the back half of the store was International. We only walked down the African and Mediterranean aisles because Pip was ready to get home to have lunch. She made it once we got in the house and wanted me to try it. The taste is fine but it has the consistency of a savory gummy worm. It's definitely something I can do without, forever.
The soccer game was going, Son2 and DIL2 came by, so we had a partial crew here to watch. DIL1 joined us, via Facetime, though she was really watching on her own tv and just commenting about the game.
Listened to: Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
When I was a freshman in college some friends and I were playing truth or dare. I chose dare and had to learn and sing (just the song part) to a total stranger without revealing it was part of a game.
More than a little embarrassing
Dinner: Chicken alfredo, sliced raw veggies, green beans
Books read : Rock, Paper, Scissors
I See You've Called In Dead
Have a great week!
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
Bonus Banana Song: The Banana Splits ShowTheme Song
My Beloved Sister reminded me of this show she watched when she was a kid, and how she was terribly disappointed when she turned 16 and could not find a 6 wheeled car.



Can't believe there are so many banana songs...I am surprised that you didn't bake a banana bread and enjoy with the songs :-))
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I could think of so many banana songs. If it were not the middle of summer I might have baked, but it is too hot to be using the oven unless it is absolutely necessary.
DeleteAnother fun set of song selections. I was surprised that I knew several of them.
ReplyDeleteI could not believe how many I could think of.
DeleteSo glad you got to see Pip!! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteI am too. We have had fun!
DeleteHow wonderful to have a visit from Son 1 and Pip! Loved the banana themed songs. I wondered if you'd include the Bananaphone song; my daughter and her friend used to sing it all the time! :D
ReplyDeleteWe are loving having them here! Of course Bananaphone had to be one of the songs, and I have already let my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist decide this week's songs theme.
DeleteYay on Son1 and Pip coming for a visit! The play sounds incredible. My sister asked me recently if I wanted to move to Nashville, but I said no due to the traffic. Sounds like a nightmare.
ReplyDeleteI love Nashville, but it has outgrown its road system, which was not great before but now it is horrid.
DeleteMy son posted pictures of all the friends out at a park with their little kids and, like you say, it was really funny to see all the young lads that used to come over to my house now toting round strollers and diaper bags and playing with their own little kids. Funny and lovely too! I'm glad you got to see your son (and especially Pip, I'm guessing) - what an unexpected treat!
ReplyDeleteI know how old I am, but mentally I still feel very young. Much to young to see all these formerly little folks all grown. Speaking of all grown,our baby Pip will be 13 soon. How did that happen.
DeleteWonderful that you got a visit with Pip and son1. Pip has caused another Google search for tteobokki.
ReplyDeleteThe play sounds terrific, the Nashville traffic not so much.
I tried one piece of her tteobokki, and I never have to try it again.
DeleteThe play was great, but the traffic in Nashville. . .
Would have never guessed there's an abundance of banaba songs. What a fantastic treat to have S1 and Pip come. Traffic is becoming my biggest angst in life. I time as much as possible to avoid.
ReplyDeleteI imagine there are banana songs I've never heard of before.
DeleteIt is more than wonderful to have them visiting. It was even worth facing the stupid Nashville traffic to get to see them.
You lead a very full life. I think it is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI am about ready for my summer life to slow down a little.
DeleteNashville has become so overcrowded the traffic is just horrible. We used to enjoy going there but not anymore.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a visit with Pip and your son. Making memories is the best.
I can't believe there are that many banana songs. ;-)
Nashville just grew faster than the roads did. It is very crowded now and there is no parking anywhere!
DeleteI kind of like having Spotify "choose" my theme for the week.
How fun to get an unexpected visit from Pip and her dad!
ReplyDeleteI've heard Nashville traffic isn't for sissies, but this post has cemented my desire to check that one off my Bingo card.
I like going to Nashville, but when we go we stay far away from the Broad Street chaos. The traffic is very difficult and there does not seem to be any time of day that is better than any other.
DeleteMy brother-in-law has driven to Nashville and flown out of there several times, but that traffic is something else!! I am so glad you had a great visit with Pip and her dad!!
ReplyDeleteWe do because we can get a direct flight to Portland and avoid the Atlanta and Charlotte airports entirely. It helps that Son3 lives there and he drops us off and parks our car in his driveway.
DeleteNashville traffic is not for sissies. I think whoever designed their interstate flow was as drunk as Cooter Brown and thought it might be fun just to see how people could navigate the insanity.