Translate

Monday, March 18, 2019

And This is The Rest Of The Story

Typical of me I created a meal plan that required little to no shopping based on what I had on hand. I had totally planned to buy nothing this week, but I had to run to the store to pick up a few things for Mom's birthday celebration. Of course I could not stop by ThePig without looking at their meat counter, or picking up a couple of things I am out of, like black pepper. Who ever actually runs out of it? I don't think I ever have before. And after I picked up ground chuck and pepper in addition to the party things how could I resist the gigantic Boston ferns? Oh, I couldn't. Somehow 2 of those giant things wound up in the back of my car. I did decide to give one to Mom as an additional birthday gift. That makes the purchase ok, right?

On Wednesday I had to run to Sprouts for their double ad deals. They still had asparagus at 98 cents per pound which is rare here, so I loaded up and froze a lot of it. I am not crazy about frozen asparagus, but it is a great keto vegetable and it was cheap. It is what it is, and I will have it for dinner  anyway even if it is not my favorite way of eating it. And even though I planned on walking out with just the asparagus, I noticed macadamia nuts were 7 bucks a pound cheaper than normal, so yep, I bought a bunch. (I left a few out but put most of them in the freezer so they will last quite a while.)  Oops! Then I saw the red grapes for 98 cents a pound. TheHub loves them so they came home with me too. It was not an inexpensive outing, but I do have much more in the freezer than I did before I went.

I also forgot Uncle Bob and my cousin Sandy would be here over the weekend when I planned the menu. (March was flying by and I was obviously oblivious to time passing) That meant  I needed a little extra for our St. Patrick's Day meal. Add additional potatoes, another cabbage, and 1 more corned beef to the shopping that was not supposed to happen.

This was my Sunday night idea of how our meals would go for the week:
1. Birthday meal for Mom (yet undecided)
2. Crustless Pizza, mixed green salad
3. Chicken crack, asparagus, coleslaw or salad
4. Ham, cheese and mushroom frittata, tossed salad
5. Pork chop/sauerkraut/potato bake, asparagus
6. Enchilada casserole, coleslaw, tortillas
7. Corned beef and cabbage, au gratin potatoes, steamed carrots, mint chocolate brownies

And this is what really happened:
Monday: Ham, cheese and spinach frittata, tossed salad, toast
Tuesday: Baked ziti, tossed salad, Italian bread, cupcakes and ice cream (take out birthday meal)
Wednesday: Chicken crack, asparagus, rice, or keto toast
Thursday: Pizza casserole, tossed salad
Friday: Bacon cheeseburger casserole over lettuce and tomatoes
Saturday: Brats and sauerkraut, cucumbers and tomatoes
Sunday: Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, rolls, mint brownies.

And this is what may or may not happen this week:
1. Reuben casserole (Hooray for leftover corned beef)
2. Hamburger patty, steamed asparagus, leftover St Paddy's potatoes or cauli mash.
3. Wedge salad, rolls or grilled keto bread
4. Chicken enchiladas, tossed salad, avocado slices
5. Smoked ribs, baked beans or green beans potato salad or cauliflower salad, rolls or keto rolls.
6. Meat sauce over spaghetti or zoodles, mixed green salad
7. Piri piri over rice or cauli rice, cucumbers, green beans

As usual it will be interesting to me to see how closely I stick to this plan, or how far I drift from it. Either way will be without real intention but just follows whichever way the proverbial wind is blowing.

22 comments:

  1. what's the pizza casserole recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is right here https://newhappeningsatthetable.blogspot.com/2019/03/crustless-pizza.html

      Delete
  2. Hope your mother's birthday celebration goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read that your Mom's birthday celebrations went well. :) Hope this week's meal plan works out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. This week will either work or it won't, but we will be well (over)fed no matter what.

      Delete
  4. Glad everything went well for your mom! You make me laugh though because as I've said before I often have to read your posts with a metaphorical thesaurus in my hand. Well at least now I know what chicken crack is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a threat to use idioms or colloquialisms because I tend to write exactly like I talk in real life. Not a good habit, but it is pretty true to the real me.

      Delete
  5. All delicious. I still get a kick out of the name Piggly Wiggly for a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell great tee shirts with the pig on the front along with the saying Meet Me At The Pig

      Delete
  6. I love your "this is what may or may not happen" LOL
    That is how my to do lists go for the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be honest and most weeks things don't happen as I think they will on Sunday night when I think up a meal plan.

      Delete
  7. YEs buying ferns is okay if you are giving one away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about keeping both but then thought that might be overkill. Or I might just go back this week and see what they have.

      Delete
  8. Everything on there sounds great. I love ferns, easy to grow and pretty and graceful. No Piggly Wiggly's here anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Pig and especially their butcher shop. It still functions like an old fashioned store.

      Delete
  9. Those middle of the week, unplanned grocery trips will get you every time. I try so very hard to hunker down at home and avoid those side trips altogether. There is always going to be a sale on something that cannot be resisted. And those instances when Boston ferns find their way into your cart....what is one to do? It is just so much easier to pay for them and just get out of the store quickly, than to protest and make yourself the centre of unwanted attention. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those side trips are a bummer. I try not to make them but sometimes they just happen, with ferns!

      Delete
  10. I can't remember the last time I saw asparagus for 99¢ a pound. I would have bought a ton too. I agree with you on the frozen, not my favorite but for that price I would eat it. I stock up when it goes to $1.99/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week it is on sale for 1.98 so I will probably get some more and have it fresh. The frozen will keep for when asparagus season is over

      Delete
  11. I would never have bought a Boston fern on impulse, which is great because if a shop displays pretty much anything on a nice shelf with sparkly lights I am likely to buy it. It seems that in one very small, ferny area, my impulse control is better than i thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If spring had not just begun I might have had better impulses, but my bare front porch needed some life and something green. Something flowery is next!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.