Translate

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole

A few nights ago  over a week ago (but who is really counting how fast time flies) I was having a severe burger craving, but I wanted something more substantial than what I usually do for a keto burger. Generally I toss a burger on the grill, eat the meat and watch TheHub eat a delicious fully loaded burger on a bun. I wanted something full of flavor with all the usual trimmings.

Since I began Keto, I have tried many recipes and pretty much have figured out the secret to turning traditional food into some keto accepted version. I keep a running list of whether each meal is a "keeper" or "coaster". DIL 2 and Son2 ate this and both gave it a huge thumbs up so here is my interpretation of a bacon cheeseburger.

1/4 pound bacon, diced and cooked crisp
1 pound ground chuck or sirloin (I used an 85/15 blend)
1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning (I don't like much salt, so you might need more)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 small carton mushrooms, chopped
1/2 small onion, diced
1 rib celery, chopped fine
1 small zucchini, diced
1/4 cup sugar free ketchup (if not doing keto use the real thing)
1 tablespoon mustard
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces shredded cheese (I probably used a little more. I did not measure)

Heat the oven to 350. Cook the bacon until it is very crisp. Remove from the pan and drain the bits on a paper towel. Add the ground chuck to the same pan and sprinkle with the parsley and steak seasoning. Cook until the pink cooks off, but do not brown the beef. Remove from the pan, but do not drain the grease from the skillet yet. Add the vegetables and cook to wilt, remove and drain. Put the bacon and ground beef back in the pan and stir to mix.  (I Usually wipe the skillet with a paper towel to remove excess grease before doing this step.)  Put the meat veggie mix in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Mix the mustard, ketchup, eggs and heavy cream in a small bowl. Make sure it is blended well. Pour the mixture evenly over the beef. Cook for about 20 minutes, then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cook an additional 10 or so minutes until everything is well set and all nice and melty. Remove from the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before serving.

Serve on a bed of mixed lettuce, with tomato wedges. Top with pickles, mustard and ketchup. It is delicious!

20 comments:

  1. Yum! It sounds delicious! I think I shall try it. Thank you for sharing your recipes, Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOSH. This looks delicious. I like hamburgers so much and this has all the flavors. Will definitely be trying this out soon and will have to give you a shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fantastic and is definitely in the keeper file!

      Delete
  3. Except for the heavy cream, this recipe is not too bad for a more traditional diet. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it would work equally well with non fat or 2 percent milk, possibly using a bit less of it. Keto allows no milk but cream is fine. Go figure!

      Delete
  4. Nice alternative to a burger. Can't wait for grilling season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always grilling season here unless it is raining, but sometimes I just don't want to fire up the grill. Why, I don't know since it is gas and ready in 5 minutes

      Delete
  5. Yum! One of our clients in Canada is a food wholesaler and they sell Keto buns, I wonder if you can get them locally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are starting to offer them to burger chains here that want a wholly keto option including bun

      Delete
    2. I have seen no keto buns, but I have made them. They are pretty easy to make but I usually forget until I need/want one and then I never have enough time to bake them. A bakery close to my house is going to make them (at least on a trial basis) starting next week.

      Delete
  6. That sounds delicious. Are you still losing weight on the keto diet? My diet went to pot when I went to Sri Lanka but it is starting to come off again slowly (VERY slowly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has slowed a lot, in fact I stalled until mid February, but in all fairness during the entire month of December I was on tour eating whatever struck my fancy. Now only nuts are my nemesis!

      Delete
    2. I have just started reading The Obesity Code. Fascinating stuff eh!

      Delete
  7. This sounds great to me, delicious! I want to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a great burger in a keto bun, but I will be making this recipe over/with a salad on those evenings I don't have buns in my freezer, or feel like making any. Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! Especially for those weeks I forget to make buns

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.