Translate

Monday, June 17, 2019

Survivor!



Whew! The mass invasion is over, the houseguests/band members were lovely, the linens are washed, and hopefully after today all will be back to normal. Did I mention my butt is dragging? I don't think I slept more than 4 hours a day the entire time they were here, ran the dishwasher a minimum of twice a day, did copious amounts of laundry (beach and bath towels)  and cooked 3 meals a day for young men between 21 and 25. They can wolf down some food.

I am not even going to begin recounting the meals that were prepared for the week. I cooked for omnivores, vegetarians and one strict vegan, so most meals required at least 2 entirely different menus. Instead I will just say lots of grilled and smoked meats happened along with a lot of grains and beans and fake cheese plus tons of veggies and salads.

Now the routine returns to normal and I am planning our meals. I had planned on incorporating leftovers (I now realize that is laughable) but the only leftovers were from an unplanned takeout meal. I had smoked some pork butts and planned on having bbq sandwiches and vegan baked beans. I  cooked enough for them plus us, but had to make an emergency run to Mom's and when we got back every morsel of food was wiped out so TheHub and I had to make a takeout run so we would have something to eat. Ziti leftovers are on the menu now.

This is what I have planned. What will happen? Who knows?

1. Ziti with tossed salad
2. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, salad, french bread or not,
3. Crack chicken, coleslaw, rice or cauli rice, sliced tomatoes
4. Steak, salad, green beans
5. Pork chops, caulitato salad or potato salad
6. Huge salad of some sort (TBD)
7. Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes or cauli mash, cuke onion and tomato salad

Now it is time to take all the linens back upstairs and remake the beds. It looks like we will be guest free until the first week in July and then more company rolls in.

35 comments:

  1. Look at you and Gloria and all that surviving 😍 I hope I survive this car ride from hell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car ride will be as much fun as you can make it. At about 11 o'clock last night I got a phone call from Will thanking me for everything, but also reminding me that the baked beans I made for dinner the night before they left for the ride home at 7 a.m. were not exactly compatible with a long drive.

      Delete
  2. Company is so fun, but the work is grueling. However I love cooking for my family and I don't even mind the work. It brings back good memories of when the kids were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheer volume of food they ate was a little overwhelming. I love to cook, but I am not so fond of the clean-up!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you rolled with the punches. Difficult to cook for strict vegans though, if I was one I would tend to bring my own food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a little hard. I wound up making two completely different meals each meal. Damn vegans!

      Delete
  4. Of course you are a survivor. We all knew that. I am pretty certain I wouldn't. Well done you. I had to google zitis. They sound like an excellent leftover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I would survive it, but there were a few touchy moments when I thought I might melt if someone sloshed water on me!

      Delete
  5. Goodness, I am impressed. I can't imagine having a crowd that big, with the variety of dietary needs. Enjoy your downtime (though I suspect it will be filled).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did absolutely nothing other than my usual Mom chores today. I might do the same tomorrow!

      Delete
  6. Survivor? Heck, you're Superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah Superwoman would have had fresh flowers in each sleeping space and matching linens!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Definitely Superwoman! And you are expecting more visitors in July?! Where do you get all that energy?

    That's one of my favorite songs, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure you have a choice with the energy. I will just get the beds made (linens are folded but still in the laundry basket) floors swept and vacuumed, bathrooms cleaned then shut the doors. When the July company comes all I will have to do is a quick wipe down of the bathrooms and a quick furniture dusting

      Delete
  8. That was my anthem after my divorce. I think it is funny your kids did not leave food for you...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You cooked three meals a day for a voracious crowd?!! I would either call that superwoman or crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn’t know what to cook for a strict vegan. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize that even Heinz ketchup is not strict vegan because sugar is processed using bone char as a filter, so for him I had to use totally organic products for everything (and yes, he loves ketchup) plus I had to make sure only clean un animal product utensils and pans were used for his cooking, plus I had to clean a section of the grill so no animal products would touch his portabella mushrooms or his fake burger.

      Delete
  11. Yay! You made it!!!
    I'd have asked the vegan to bring their own food, so you are the hostess with the mostess for sure!


    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd have had a hard time with the vegan too but well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one visit in the proverbial books and I have a couple of weeks until the next guest, who is not vegan.

      Delete
  13. Boy, when I was in my 20s I could eat and eat and eat. And still be hungry. Still try to do that sometimes now, which is SO stupid -- just can't do that anymore. Old habits die hard, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These 20 plus males could and did eat and eat and eat and eat. . . I was kind of astonished, but I don't think I have ever had that many for such a protracted time before either.

      Delete
  14. Steak and salad! Put grilled onions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might remember that one of my kids went vegan and one vegetarian within weeks of each other. I think I'm a flexible cook but the six months from when they changed diet to when Liam moved out were the most challenging ever.
    I bow to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided one should only be vegan if one is capable and willing to prepare or procure all food for themselves

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you survived the week. Sounds super duper busy. I know house guests can be fun but exhausting. We have spaghetti on our enu for this week too. We will see if it happens or not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week I had a lot more "or nots' than haves. Oh well!

      Delete
  17. Ever thought of opening a restaurant?! Just the thought of all that cooking for various diets/lifestyles would send me into such a tizzy I don't think I'd ever recover!! Well done you!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.