Translate

Monday, June 3, 2019

What's Happening? Hot Stuff

At the start of each week I come up with a meal plan that I very rarely follow. Some weeks I come close and some weeks, well, not so much. This week has fallen into the latter category
This was the bold ambition for what I had planned:
1. Taco salad
2. Grilled burgers with fixings
3. BBQ chicken thighs, coleslaw, tomato slices, rolls
4. Out to eat with our Mandarin class. (Chinese of course!)
5. Crack chicken over rice or cauli rice, tomato cuke and onion salad
6. Sloppy Joe's,  french fries (or not) coleslaw, tomato slices, green beans

And this is where real life beat my plans to a bloody pulp!
Monday:  I have no recall about Monday and I forgot to document anything.  Just one glance at us will let you know we are not poor underfed waifs, but for the life of me, I have no clue what happened or what I did for a meal. I know I did not go grocery shopping until Wednesday so___
Something, with something green most likely, and probably something else. It was either regrettable and needed to be forgotten but more likely it was truly uninspired and forgettable.

Tuesday: I spent a good part of the day taking care of Mom's business affairs then moved into my laundry room to begin some major cleaning . (My laundry room is both a place to do laundry, sewing room and studio space. Right this minute it looks like a large gypsy caravan moved in, set up camp, then left without packing up their stuff. Worst of all I have only myself to blame) I did not even begin to think about dinner until time to actually make it. I knew I had more than half a pack of dinner rolls and I had some ground chuck in the freezer. WHen you have to make a hamburger fit the small dinner roll, just change the narrative and pretend it is what you had planned all along It's not like TheHub reads my blog and has any clue what I meant to have anyway!
Grilled sliders with fixings, cauliflower "potato" salad

Wednesday: I had gone o the grocery store and bought 3 packs of boneless  thighs and some lovely cauliflower. I had planned on having BBQ chicken thighs but saw this recipe   at Happier Than A Pig In Mud. It looked simple and used the grill so I decided to give it a try. OMG it was delicious. I will vary the veggies and do this all summer!
Chicken with char grilled vegetables, rolls or keto rolls

Thursday: We have been taking a Mandarin class and it is a very small group. We decided to go out to eat as a class and ate in a traditional Chinese manner, according to our instructor . We sat at a round table with a large lazy susan in the middle. Everyone ordered what they wanted, but it was served family style. You just rotated the susan until whatever you wanted to try came near you.  If you are ever in Birmingham and want Chinese definitely go to The Red Pearl on West Valley. It is delicious! (Try the Basil Chicken!)
Various appetizers, entrees and sides

Friday:  TheHub and I knew we needed to run to the lake place to grab some things for our upcoming several day houseguests. (Things like 3 mattresses, 6 pillows, sheets, towels, beach towels, etc.) We decided we would just go Friday evening, spend the night, load the van and return Saturday morning. I had fully intended to take something for us to eat but I didn't. There is no place near the lake to eat so we stopped on the way.
Whopper from Burger king with (TheHub) or without(me) the bun

Saturday: When I planned this week's menu I forgot TheHub had a high school class reunion Saturday night. Punt for dinner and instead we ate there. I think he had a really good time reconnecting with his former friends and I had a blast. I moved through the crowd as a solo unit (I had told him to mix and mingle and not worry about me) and would go up to any one who looked interesting and say "Oh my goodness you look wonderful, I have not seen you in ages". (Since TheHub and I grew up in different cities I knew absolutely no one) I would watch them trying to mentally place me before I let them know they really had never seen me before.  It is a great ice breaker and led to some interesting conversations and newly found acquaintances.  
Heavy hors d'ouvers 

Sunday:  We went to church, then ran some errands and came home so we could watch Alabama's women's softball team in the NCAA World Series.  Roll Tide Roll. They won the first game which meant a double header so we settled in to watch another game. In between games, instead of cooking we rant to Arby's to grab dinner.
Arby's roast beef sandwich 

Yes, I am very aware that we had 4 of 7 meals either out or as take out. This is our life and how this past week rolled. This week should be better, but there are always surprise issues along the way, so here is my plan for the week which may or may not happen.

1. Scallops, asparagus, new potatoes, salad
2. BBQ chicken thighs, caulitato salad, baked beans (or not)
3. Chicken with char grilled vegetables
4. Steak, mashed potatoes (or caulimash), salad
5. Summer salad meal, rolls (or keto rolls)
6. Grilled fish, grilled romaine salad, grilled asparagus
7. Meal after a memorial service

And we are off and running!

37 comments:

  1. LOVE your ploy at the reunion. Something I have never attended (and hopefully never will).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to several events a year where I know no one but TheHub needs to circulate. I use it all the time. It is a wonderful icebreaker. In April we went to a national event for his company and he had to be available for conversations with everyone. Before the night was over I had invitations to come visit people in Connecticut, North Carolina, The Bronx, and Texas. I think TheHub has finally figured I am a pretty good asset (as long as I keep my filters on and my sailor's mouth shut)

      Delete
  2. Take out is okay as long as you can afford it which I think you can. At this point, whatever is easiest is best. That way you can attention to other things if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can afford the take out, but it is not what I really like to spend our food budget on. Last week was just life interfering with me at every turn. This week has started out much better__kinda!

      Delete
  3. Love your plan for the reunion! I'm definitely more introverted than that. :-)

    I ate out every meal for the last week (vacation). My pants are too tight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am what is classified as an amnivert. I love being out and around people. I enjoy meeting new folks and the social chit chat, but I do require some home time to recharge my batteries.
      I get the tight pants/eating out conundrum.

      Delete
  4. My husband hated for me to circulate! I was supposed to sit still so he could circulate and keep an eye on me. Now that walking is hard, I miss circulating. I like to eat Arby's Grand Turkey Supreme minus mayo and bun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy meeting new and different folks. Never had a turkey Supreme, but I will have to give it a try.

      Delete
  5. What a great way to meet people! I'm not sure I'd have the gumption to pull it off but it would be fun.

    As for your meals, daily life has a way of getting in the way. As long as everyone is fed and happy, no biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun way to meet people and they are always so relieved when I tell them they do not actually know me.

      Delete
  6. I love your ice-breaker comment! Even when you ate out, you kept to your Keto diet, it sounds like, so I think you need not worry about eating out as often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The initial comment works just about everywhere I go. Fortunately I am not at all shy, but I do pick my "victims" carefully. I generally approach people who tend to be natural smilers.
      The Saturday night thing blew keto for the night, but I knew it would and had decided I was not going to worry about it. The keto way of eating is so easy for me to hop back on so one day off is not a deal breaker.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I think I had as good of a time as TheHub did, and it was his crowd!

      Delete
  8. I agree with the others - what a great way to get talking to people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does work and most people are so relieved to find their memory is not totally failing.

      Delete
  9. Some weeks are just like that. The only problem with take out other than the cost, is the lack of veggies and high salt. But boy is it good and convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks it just happens. It was not what I wanted but it is what happened.

      Delete
  10. I've never gone to a reunion, but I like what you do. Do you ever feel like giving up on meal planning since you usually don't follow it, or do you like keeping the habit so you have ideas to fall back on?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is an exercise in futility, mainly because what sounds good Monday morning is not when I actually start thinking of dinner. Still I like having some direction even though I know I will veer off course.

      Delete
  11. Love that recipe, thanks for sharing. That sounds like the perfect way to go to a reunion, don't know anyone and fake it! I bet it was a lot of fun lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That meal was beyond delicious and about as easy as it gets. I will probably alter the veggies as summer progresses but we are going to eat that weekly.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I do love cooking, but keeping keto and making really tasty food is hard sometimes.

      Delete
  13. I don't do reunions, but really like how YOU do them! Great idea. And your Monday dinner -- scallops, asparagus, new potato salad -- sounds wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need the caulitato salad recipe. If I hunt long enough on here i'm sure I'll find it.
    or google it.
    And GOOD ON YOU for taking Mandarin!?! Now you can have totally secret conversations with your husband and you won't have to spell in front of the kids! I think they can all spell by now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use whatever you normally use for potto salad but the base is cooked and well dried cauliflower instead of potatoes. My DIL is not doing keto and she chooses it over regular potato salad every time she is here and I have made it.
      I use cauliflower, a chopped boiled egg, mayo, mustard, celery, onions, pickles, salt, pepper and paprika

      Delete
  15. That all sounds delicious, Anne. How neat that what you all ordered in the CHinese restaurant was served family style. That would be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun Belinda. I had never been at a table specifically designed for a family style meal. There were only 3 tables in the restaurant like that and our teacher said usually only Chinese families request them.

      Delete
  16. My meal planning is so far off, I shouldn't even bother trying. I feel like life will norm for summer in about a week and 1/2 and then I can norm. Your menus, whether you follow them or not, sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so far off plan this week. I should have done a freezer inventory before I planned, but I didn't.

      Delete
  17. I followed your advice and made the buffalo medley chicken and it was delicious. Had to make my own buffalo sauce of course as you can't get that kind of stuff over here but it was easy enough. Think I would use different vegetables next time - not too keen on the cauliflower, but it was still lovely. So thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, even the cauliflower but I will probably do it with squash, peppers and onions next time

      Delete
  18. Ha! Like your style, lady, with the reunion! I do about the same thing, nothing worse than being a hanger-on!!! Your meal plan sounds fine. I just bought groceries for the next week and with luck will stick close to it...maybe... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the maybe! I am a positive maybe leaning toward probably not!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What are your financial needs? Do you need a business loan? Do you need a personal loan? Do you want to buy a car? Do you want to refinance? Do you need a mortgage loan? You need a huge capital to start their business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and Do you think that there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists then call or send message via citvendorfinance@gmail .com or WhatsApp +1 (747) 223-7461

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.