Translate

Monday, June 24, 2019

What really happened

As I do weekly now, this I what I had planned as our meals for the week:

1.Ziti with tossed salad
2. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, salad, french bread or not,
3. Crack chicken, coleslaw, rice or cauli rice, sliced tomatoes
4. Steak, salad, green beans
5. Pork chops, caulitato salad or potato salad
6. Huge salad of some sort (TBD)
7. Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes or cauli mash, cuke onion and tomato salad

I had forgotten TheHub had a business meeting Wednesday night and we decided to go to the lake kind of as a spur of the moment deal, so I went off rails there. But honestly I was hardly riding the rails anyway so this is what actually happened:

Monday: I had made a ton of spaghetti sauce for when the band was here. I made it as a back up just in case they wanted/needed food late at night. It is not hard to warm sauce and cook some noodles, but they decided they had rather have hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts for late night snacks each night. I was surprised that only our son and one other had ever experienced a hot just made KK. I am pretty sure the word nirvana was invented after someone ate one of those toasty warm melt in your mouth rounds of deliciousness.  After 3 dozen each night they were pretty well sated. For the record, the vegetarian was most delighted he is not a vegan so he could freely eat 5 or so hot doughnuts each time. Needless to say I had a boatload of spaghetti sauce left over, most of which is now frozen.
Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, toasted leftover hamburger buns

Tuesday: I had also bought several boneless skinless chicken breasts to have on hand as a just in case thing. They needed to be cooked PDQ so I grabbed my biggest crock pot and made Crack Chicken. We had enough for dinner and I now have 3 bags frozen for whenever time is tight.
Crack chicken over rice or cauli rice, cucumber, tomato and onion salad

Wednesday:  TheHub was out at a business dinner and I could have cooked something, but why?
Shredded cabbage with pickles and mayo

Thursday: I was reading blogs Thursday morning and saw a recipe for chili cheese mac. It sounded really good, but we all know pasta is not keto approved. So I dug around for some substitutions. I have cauliflower around all the time, and someone at TheHub's office had given him one big ass zucchini, so that became the "pasta" in this dish
Mac-less chili cheese casserole, angel hair slaw with either John's Famous Coleslaw dressing or stupid keto approved mayo.

Friday: TheHub and I opted to go to the lake. I grabbed some of the leftover ziti out of the freezer, threw a very few food items in a cooler bag and we were off.
Leftover ziti or not, some frozen ultra low carb "enchilada" and a Japanese cucumber salad, French bread or not. Weird combo but it worked since it was easy and edible.

Saturday: We were still at the lake, storms happened and we were late eating. I found some frozen ground sirloin in the fridge along with a bag of riced cauliflower/broccoli.
Grilled patties with onions, cauliflower broccoli parmesan souffle, tossed salad, french bread or not

Sunday: We left the lake very early to get back home in time for Sunday School and Church. Afterward we had a fairly lazy day, then all of a sudden it was late and nothing was thawed or cooked except for 2 pounds of bacon I had cooked to freeze for  meals over the next couple of weeks I scoured the veggie crisper for anything that needed to be used, found half an onion, a handful of squash and half of that big ass zucchini I used on Thursday, along with one slightly soft bell pepper. What we wanted? Nope, but we ate it anyway.
Pan sautéed veggies over rice, or not with crumbled bacon on top.

Now let's see how close I stay or how far I veer off this weeks plans!
1. Braised pork tenderloin, broccoli, rice (or not), French bread (or not)
2. Crack chicken over sliced French bread or caulirice, tossed salad
3. Grilled Pork chops Hotlanta slaw, baked potatoes or baked radishes (grrr keto)
4. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, baked beans or not, sliced tomatoes
5. Veggie night, corn on the cob (or not), lady peas (or not), green beans, fried green tomatoes, okra
6. Cedar planked salmon, grilled romaine salad, asparagus, mashed potatoes or cauli mash
7. Hamburgers, fries (or not), coleslaw

And now the new week begins. Right now I am guessing maybe 4 nights will be what I planned. I don't think we have anything planned at meal times, but you never know what might pop up. Will see since each day is a possible adventure!

21 comments:

  1. Hooray for adventures. And for flexible planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spontaneous adventures are my favorite and now that Mom has a companion (we use that word instead of calling her a caretaker because Mom will accept a companion) my life is more likely to have some unplanned moments.

      Delete
  2. Hamburgers sound great right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we might have them over the weekend (weather permitting)

      Delete
  3. Who doesn't like a big-ass zucchini? As for "stupid keto approved mayo," it texted me and said you hurt its feelings. It wants an apology. I don't advocate for "stupid keto approved mayo." Once you apologize to one food, then you have to apologize to a bunch of them. Crack chicken? Not sure what it is, but it sounds interesting. May I have your recipe? Or I can look it up online, but I know you quite often modify recipes. I eat a lot of chicken but it's usually a Costco roast chicken, already roasted because I am lazier than sin. Wait! Is sin lazy? It seems pretty active. I see it on TV all the time. You can sing "let's go to the lake" to the tune of "let's go to the hop." Beyond that, you'll have to invent your own lyrics.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I humbly apologize to all brands of mayo, be they keto approved or not. But honestly, I don't give a fat rat's fanny about any other food I have offended.
      I think sin might be active, though it is a sneaky little beast and creeps up on you when you least expect it.
      This is one way to make crack chicken https://newhappeningsatthetable.blogspot.com/2016/11/chicken-crack.html I do not use ranch dressing mix, but just add garlic powder, onion powder, dill and parsley to taste. I have also made it eliminating the ranch seasonings and adding a jar of salsa or salsa verde. It is equally good.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to know about not using ranch because I hate it. Thank you for the link.

      Delete
    3. I forgot to say that my son brought half a dozen hot, fresh Krispy Kremes to my house one night. I'd never had a Krispy Kreme before, hot or cold. That Krispy Kreme was so heavenly that I only ate one lest I became addicted.

      Delete
    4. The hot doughnuts are a gift from the gods!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your approach to meal planning. Plan for the week and then see what happens or not. And I am almost 40 years old and I have never had a hot Krispy Kreme donut either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever traveling through Alabama, give me a call, I love initiating people into the world of warm, sweet, melty, heavenly mouth treats.

      Delete
  5. I am so flexible there
    should be a special word for it or me. It all sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me a plan is just made to deviate from. My world is not set in concrete.

      Delete
  6. Yum! Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their shop is about a mile and a half from my house (less as the crow flies) so when the phone app would ding that the hot light was on a couple of the band members would pile in my car to make a doughnut run every night. I think they even stopped there on the way out when they left.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a big doughnut fan, unless they are fresh Krispy Kreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and thee. I can take or leave cold doughnuts, but those hot melty ones are my weakness.

      Delete
  8. We don't have Krispy Kreme in Canada - at least not where I live. Apparently they're very good!

    Your ideas make my repertoire look mediocre at best. Grilled chicken, pork chops, and hamburgers are the most frequent. Though I did make chili last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krispy Kreme are a standard here, but I only like them hot.
      Summers are so hot here that I cook a much on the grill as possible. It is hot while I cook but the house stays relatively cool.

      Delete
  9. I don't think I ever at a Krispy Kreme even when I lived in the US. How did I miss that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were regional in the south for a long time. Now they are really spreading their wings and their newest store (still under construction) is supposed to be a gigantic one in Times Square

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.