Translate

Monday, February 8, 2021

A Plan, a Fail, and Back in the Saddle

First of all please forgive me for not responding to the comments left on my previous post and for the lack of comments I have left on blogs I read. I have been doing a lot of things I don't want to do, I am tired and WAS  in the middle of a very blue funk. I promise it will not happen again. I am still going to have to do a lot of things I had rather not be doing, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

 This week/month in addition to making a weekly food plan, I have a pantry challenge to try and use some of the food from my freezer. I set a very low budget of 60 dollars for the month for things like produce, almond milk, bread__things like that. I am also not excluding stock up items if some exceptionally good deals pop up, but if I find them they are supposed to go into food storage and remain untouched during this challenge. I use the word supposed to for reasons you will see one day two___Nobody's perfect!

This is what I had planned
1. Hungarian Goulash over either sautéed cabbage ribbons or noodles.
2. Salmon patties, green beans, mashed potatoes or caulimash
3. Fauxtato soup, tossed salad, dinner rolls (or keto fake rolls)
4. Eggroll in a bowl, rolls
5. take-out (naturally)
6. Mac-less  Mac and cheese, black eyed peas, cornbread, coleslaw
7. Tacos or almost tacos with all the usual taco fixings


And this is what we actually ate:
Monday: I was all set to begin this food challenge, using items I had on hand. Since I worked in the freezer, inventorying what was available, I was really cold and very glad I had the Hungarian Goulash I had made for last week still in the fridge. I love having prepared foods for a night like that, plus it was warm and comforting. Do not think we were not getting our veggies with the meal because I added tons to the goulash.
Goulash over noodles or steamed cabbage strips, dinner rolls or keto toast

Tuesday: I had to be at the lake place a good part of the day to take care of some business there. I knew I needed some vegetables, most likely for the next two weeks and knew I would pass the larger Aldi on my way home, so I planned to stop there. I left the lake much later than I had anticipated but decided to go ahead with my shopping. 
For this challenge I am allowing myself to stock up if I find some particularly good bargains. Low and behold, Aldi had their brats for 1.99 a pack (5 brats per pack) so I bought 3 packs to freeze for the future. 
By this time, it was drive time traffic and I got home even later.  I needed to make dinner but had taken nothing out of the freezer. Great it was just day 2 of the challenge and I already flunked the challenge.
Brats cooked in beer, coleslaw, rolls or keto toast

Wednesday: This was one of those days that just happens with nothing outside of the house to do. There was absolutely no reason for me to not cook whatever I wanted, except the day was nearly done and I had forgotten to take anything out of the freezer__again. Pantry to the rescue!
Salmon patties with dill sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes (or none) peanut butter mousse ( one of the very tasty keto desserts)

Thursday:  TheHub had been working  late all week and I must be a slow learner because I had been cooking things right before he got home so everything would be piping hot. Yeah, no more. Soup can stay warm in the crock pot forever!
Fauxtato soup, rolls or none 

Friday: Friday was the annual Cancer Society fundraiser which we go to every year. It has morphed over the years from a charity ball to a dinner/ art gala but this year it morphed even more. This year it was an online event, but they still provided dinner. They had a drive through, pick up, go home and reheat meal.  Kudos to IZ who catered it.
3  appetizers, salad, filet, sautéed veggies, scalloped potatoes (or none),  apple bread pudding (or none), 2 splits of wine.

Saturday: We worked at the lake for  while, came home and tried to do some straightening and rearranging of things. It got kind of late so we decided to grab take out.
Gyro salad or Greek salad

Sunday: Super Bowl Sunday. TheHub and I had a few things at the lake place to do next weekend, but we remembered we are getting our second Covid vaccination late in the week.I anticipate no real problems but I am a realist and abut half the people I know who have had the second round did have complications. We decided it might be better for us to get up early, head on down and go ahead and do what we needed to get done then scoot home to watch the game.  Son2 and DIl2 joined us for game watching and dinner.
Tacos or taco salad

And this is the break-down of how the week went
Week one food storage use:

From the fridge:
Hungarian Goulash (prepared for the last week of January but didn't happen)
1/4 head cabbage
2 Beers (left from Son3's visit)
Butter
Leftover coleslaw
Heavy cream
Cream cheese
Peanut butter
1 egg
1/4 leftover head of cauliflower
sour cream
1/3  bag tossed salad
8 ounces cheddar
2 ounces pepper jack
radishes
1 cucumber
1/2 container cherry tomatoes
salami (about 10 small pieces)
leftover salsa

From the pantry:
Elbow macaroni
Dinner rolls
2 onions
Canned salmon
Vanilla
Powdered milk
Swerve powdered sugar substitute
Potato flakes
4 pices Choc Zero 
coffee
tea
3 cans LeCroix
pork skins (I had a couple of bags before I started this. They are my keto essentials)
assorted herbs and spices

From the freezer:
Aldi zero carb bread (3 slices)
Green beans (summer garden harvest )
1 bag caulimash
1/2 bag cauliflower rice
1 bag chicken broth
2 packs ground chuck
2 keto chocolate chip cookies

Used from February purchases
taco shells
brats

Purchased last week:
taco shells .89
2 cucumbers 1.29
sour cream .89
3 lb onions 1.19
lettuce 1.29
2 avocados .98
1 bag slaw 1.29
2 dozen eggs 2.38
cooking spray 1.49 (did not realize I was totally out of it)
grape tomatoes 1.49
broccoli 1.90
2 heads cauliflower 4.78
whipping cream 1.55
pork skins .95
brats 1.99 (ouch)
bananas 2.37( Publix)

Aldi  tax was 26.68 
Bananas           2.37
                      29.05     Wowza!!! That only leaves me 30.95 until the end of February!

Meal possibilities for the week:
1. Steak, potatoes or caulimash, tossed salad, broccoli
2. Mac and cheese or Mac-less and cheese, peas, coleslaw, no corn cornbread
3 Egg roll in a bowl
4. Open face bbq chicken sandwich, cucumber onion and tomato salad
5. Philly cheese steak casserole
6. "Fried chicken" rice or caulirice, green beans, some sort of salad (undecided right now)
7. Take out

This is going to be a strange week here with a lot of running around getting some sort of order here before a big event that is happening soon. Will let you know as it gets closer. If we wind up doing take out 2 times this week I am fine with it.

Now go have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or having no plan at all.






21 comments:

  1. I probably read and comment more than I should-or more than anyone cares as I've learned. You are essentially taking care of three homes with your hosue, the lake, and your mom's needing attention. You still did pretty well eating form the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like for my blog to be interactive and feel neglectful when I don't respond.
      The house situation is about to do me in. We are waiting on one minor "fix" to Mom's and then we can list it. I would like to get it sold before interest rates go up.

      Delete
  2. Your Hungarian Goulash sounds delicious, Anne. It reminded me that I have a head of cabbage and found one pack of hamburger in the freezer yesterday, so I will make cabbage rolls one day this week. I like the name of your Fauxtato soup. lol I hope your second Covid vaccine goes smoothly this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goulash was really good! I like to make up names for food that is almost like the real thing but none of them actually are quite as good as the original. But in all honesty, TheHub did not know the soup was cauliflower based instead of potato soup.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to read about your blue funk and hope that you have slammed the door on it.
    I always love your planning (whether you stick to it or not). Have fun.
    The organisation behind the Cancer Support dinner sounds amazing. Kudos to those who arranged it.
    And good luck with part two of the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to slam it shut but there is still a crack in the door. I will just watch and make sure it does not open any further.

      Delete
  4. You don't have to apologize for not answering comments or not commenting. It sounds like you were busier than usual and wasn't feeling your best, either. I hope this week will be better and the second dose of the vaccination goes well. Good luck with managing on the $30.95! I know you can do it - just don't spend more than $10 each week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should not have to buy anything this week, and like I said I am allowing myself grace to stock up if there are unusually good sales.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you can see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm sorry for whatever is you are having to do that you don't want to do. I think you still did a great job on your pantry challenge. It seems like you have so much going on to even be attempting a challenge like this right now. Now you really have me curious about the big event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food challenge is the least challenging thing going on in my life right now. I just have too many balls in the air at the same time.

      Delete
  6. So many people make plans on their respective blogs and I never give it another thought when things go awry. I go on and off plan daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is not structured enough that I am not going to veer from the path sometimes daily.

      Delete
  7. I look at your prices and am envious. A carton of 18 eggs is $4.98 at Walmart, a head of cauliflower is at least $5, grape tomatoes are up around $4. Even considering the exchange rate your grocery costs are a lot less. AND your weather is better...most of the time. :)

    Take care, stay well and good luck with the second vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi is the budget saver. I could not even begin to do this at Publix!

      Delete
  8. You are doing great! I am so proud of you. I am eating chocolate chips out of a bag. Just got a yearnin for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just doing, not great but not horrible, unless you count attitudes and then I am in the klink. Now I want chocolate chips out of the bag, or better yet in a little bowl along with pecan halves.

      Delete
    2. Chocolate chips and pecan halves is the best snack ever. Adding dehydrated bananas is the only way I can improve that snack.

      Delete
  9. No plan here! I'm sorry you have to do things you don't want to do. Can't wait to hear what the big event is.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never want to do housework because I don't like doing it, but this is like messing with house things that are on steroids. But it has to be done and I seem to be the only trained monkey in the house to do it.

      Delete
  10. We are eating leftover bean soup. I’ll be jazzing it up with rice tonight. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard them called planned overs instead of leftovers. I generally have leftovers during the day but sometimes I cook enough , either by intention or just because I have fat eyes, and those toe into the freezer for another planned meal.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.