Translate

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Salvaged From The Pantry



I was craving cookies, plus baking relaxes me. I had decided to take this week off of keto anyway, so it was a great week to do a little baking. I do keep an overstocked a well stocked pantry and I have an island cabinet I fondly call my baking center. It houses a ridiculous amount of baking supplies. Every so often I have to go through it to inventory and rearrange things that were put back in the wrong place, but also to  see what needs to be used or quickly frozen. Since I have recently added so many things from the lake, it had to be done.

I found a huge jar of raw sunflower seed which has a pretty short shelf life. I ground most of it into flour to tore in the freezer, because it is a pretty decent keto flour. I was packing it in one cup measures and had enough flour for 3 packs, with about a half of a cup of whole seed  leftover that  needed to be used in something else. I had an Aha moment and decided to make some sunflower cookies. I found a couple of recipes online, but did not like the way either sounded so I merged the two and came up with a pretty decent cookie.



Sunflower Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 small egg or half a large one
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used a lingering partial bag of sweetened coconut)
1/2 cup sunflower seed (I had raw but roasted, salted would be delicious too)

Mix the butter and sugars until creamy, add the egg and beat until smooth and well incorporated. Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder and slowly add to the butter mixture. Use a mixer to combine well then blend in the coconut and sunflower seed.

Place parchment on 2 large cookie sheets. roll the cookies into balls about the size of a large  shooter marble.  Place them fairly far apart because they will spread during the baking process. Slightly flatten the tops of the cookies. (I used my fingers but they were just for TheHub and me. If I had been making these with the ten ton of sharing them, I would have used a tamper or the bottom of a glass. Bake about 13-15 minutes (depends on your personal oven) until the cookies are golden brown. Let them sit on the cookie sheet until they cool a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. (I honestly almost always skip this part, but these cookies crisp so nicely they really do better with the air circulating while they cool)

I did not make these with the intention of having them become a regular in the cookie rotation but they were perfectly crisp, nutty tasting cookies which were delicious with coffee or a cup of tea. I tried it with both for science. Yes, that's what it was__science. Give them a try, you might really like them. I know we did.



20 comments:

  1. Those cookies look yummy! I had three apples sitting in the fridge for so long that I made an apple upside down cake with a very simple batter I found on YouTube. Other than that, I think, I ate reasonably healthy over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow I jump back on the keto train. I just had too much going on this week to worry about maintaining keto, and then there are cookies to consider!

      Delete
  2. Did you feel more relaxed after you made the cookies? I know my mood would improve while I was eating them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually relax while baking. It is something I can do automatically without giving it much thought at all. Eating them is the bonus!

      Delete
  3. They sound good. And baking IS relaxing - except when things go pear-shaped when it is the opposite. A house filled with the smell of baking becomes a home immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course it was for science, what else would it be? They sure do sound delicious. I wish I could do some science experiments here today too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sunflower cookies sound delicious, Anne. I love how you found the sunflower seeds and then figured out a way to use them up. That is the smart way to manage your pantry well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some things have to be done - in the name of science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep just put me in the list along with Marie Curie as a lover of science

      Delete
  7. I’m sitting here craving cookies right now, I have a mix in the pantry, but I’m too lazy to go mix them up. These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother always took 4 cookies with her when she left the house just in case she got stuck somewhere with no rations. I always believed her when I was a child, didn't realize it was a joke until I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So did your cookies turn green inside? I've seen recipes for cookies containing sunflower butter or seeds that turn green. There are lots of recipes and videos but I never had the nerve to try them. Yours don't look green but I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to begin with these were not keto and the seed was not processed so there was no greening. When you use the sunflower flour and sunbutter they do have a greenish tint. I have made the keto ones and they are really tasty. If it tastes good I can overlook the olive color.

      Delete
  10. I posted a comment, yesterday, but, apparently, it didn't go through! I thanked you for the cookie recipe because I have some sunflower seeds in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is weird sometimes. These was pretty darn good

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.