Translate

Friday, April 16, 2021

New Week, New Joys

Wow another week has passed so quickly that is seems like just yesterday I was recounting all the joys of the week, and now here I am with the 15th week of the year completed, compiling a whole new weeks worth of joys. 



My sister and I worked at Mom's house for the brunt of the week, so most of the joys are related to getting tasks completed which is not necessarily joyous, unless you realize they are things that have to be done, like it or not, and worth celebrating when they are finished.

Friday: We had scheduled a final pick up for the remainder of random things left at Mom's house. For a while we had been putting anything we found on the main level of her house in the living room so everything would be together to easily put on the porch when the donation truck came. We were surprised at how many things were left to be donated.
While we were there we also got the refrigerator scrubbed out and the kitchen totally shiny sparkling clean.

Saturday: Our cleaning at Mom's took a different turn on Saturday. My dad was a music nut and had a special cabinet built in the den when they built their home. It housed all of his stereo equipment  and his huge collection of LP's and CD's. We went through each and every album to pick out those that we wanted to keep vs. those we would donate. For the LP's Dad had a specific organization system. They were color coded in genres (i.e.all Christmas music was tabbed with blue stickers) then each album was assigned a number and were kept in numerical order under their designated color.
We actually had fun talking about specific songs on specific albums and the memories we associated with them. I figure Dad might be rolling over in his grave though, because the albums we kept are in no particular order.

Sunday: We began our day watching our streaming church service, followed by our Webex Sunday School class.   Afterward, I met My Beloved Sister at Mom's so we could do some hardwood floor polishing, then clean the pollen off her porch so we could move all the donation items there to be picked up Monday morning. By the time we got everything out, the porch was more than half filled.
Meanwhile Son2 came by and finished dismantling Dad's workbench. Dad built the bench in "68 when they built the house. I am not sure what Son2 is going to do with all the wood, but he wanted it and we were happy for him to take it.

Monday: More tidying happened including  steam cleaning Mom's kitchen floor. My sister owns the Bissell Powerfresh steam mop. It is no doubt the most wonderful cleaning invention ever. I was so amazed at the job it did, that I as soon as I got home from Mom's house I ordered one for myself. 

Tuesday: We left the task we wanted to do the least for the absolute last. In the train room they had a small kitchenette. It has a combo sink, 2 burner gas stove top and small refrigerator with an even smaller freezer compartment. Neither of us had any idea the last time it had been cleaned, but when we opened it to clean it, it was just about a solid block of ice, so we went armed with dual hairdryers, bowls and pans to catch drips and a load of towels. Nearly 3 hours later it was thawed and we had icebergs  we tossed in the sink that could have sunk the Titanic.
Done!

Wednesday: We had decided that Wednesday would be a day  we did not go to Mom's house at all. I was enjoying my freedom when I got a phone call. Though we have not yet listed the house on Zillow and only have it as "coming soon" on the Marketplace site, we do have a FSBO sign in the front yard.  A guy noticed the sign and called me from Mom's driveway to find out the particulars . Since I only live 2 minutes away I ran down and showed him the house. So much for the totally free day!

Thursday:  When I showed the house Wednesday I paid pretty good attention to any remarks made about the house. After he left I called my sister to tell her what he said and we agreed to have the deck stained again. Structurally is it in great shape, but like any lady, it would look a little better with a fresh coat of lipstick. When I called Eduardo (my favorite painter) I asked him if he could do a rush job (for a little extra cash). I was thrilled when he said he could  get to it Friday afternoon!

So go find your joy, however big or small! They are always out there, even if it is something as mundane as taming an iced over basement fridge!


27 comments:

  1. Wow it sounds like that house will sell itself, right? That's an awfully nice position to be in, but you've worked very hard to make that so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will sell itself, but it is a really nice house in an excellent school system, so it should sell fairly easily. The only thing left to do is to get some good photos of the rooms to post on Zillow. Son2 is a really good photographer and he is coming either today or tomorrow so we should have everything together by Sunday morning.

      Delete
  2. Remember when all freezers had to be defrosted? What a job! Not fun and necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular fridge is small, maybe 4.5 cubic feet of space and it was just about a solid block of ice. I am not sure if it had been left ajar at some time and iced over or what but it was a mess.

      Delete
  3. Lots of joy to be found in getting things accomplished. It sounds like your mom's place will sell in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will Martha. The upside is we are not in any hurry to sell it and since it is empty keeping it in show shape is not an issue.

      Delete
  4. I have joy from reading your Friday Joy-how cool to reminisce with your sister to all your dad's music. Good luck with the house. I just saw a gem for my daughter to look at in the town south of us, well in her price range, but a bit more of a drive. It had form pictures at least 7 of her 10 priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughter finds something she loves very quickly!

      Delete
  5. Love your joys - and your accomplishments. Yay you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you will be glad to have 2 of your 3 houses gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this house is only half mine, but my sister and I will be glad to have someone else living in it and hopefully loving it.

      Delete
  7. You're getting there with house and that's gotta feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how it dwells since you recently went through the same. It is necessary and will feel good to no longer be responsible for it, but it is a bittersweet feeling also.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed reading about you and your sister going through your father's records. How special! I know the house will sell quickly, and a new family will begin to make memories. Have a cozy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to go through the music, including singing some of the show tunes we listened to as kids.

      Delete
  9. Based on your descriptions of the work that you and your sister have accomplished, the house should sell readily. It may need a bit of updating but I'm sure there is a buyer out there looking for a house that they can put their own stamp on.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it sells quickly. Fortunately Mom and Dad took very good care of things.

      Delete
  10. I've been hearing that it is a seller's market, these days, so your Mom's house should sell quickly! I'm sure all your and your sister's hard work shows and the house simply sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are always so busy and accomplish so much. I hope a family buys the house and loves it the way they should.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to be unbusy! (This sounds like a word from Newspeak in 1984)

      Delete
  12. I found too much joy all week. Now that I am vaccinated completely for COVID I am out and about more which has left my home in a terrible mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fully vaccinated also, but I am still remaining pretty cautious about where I go and when I will go.

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you and your sister made good of a difficult time. I'm glad you were able to find joy completing the work. I've not been around for quite awhile. I rather lost touch. I ran across an old comment you made on my blog, Harvest Lane Cottage, and I knew I had to come by and say hello. I'm intrigued by the steam mop you used. Do you need more than one pad to clean several rooms? Do you just take it off and rinse it out regularly, or do you need several pads to switch out? I don't like mopping my wood floors and leaving even a little water on them. You can email me at laura@harvestlanecottage.com . Blessings! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. I'm going to add you to my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe you can explain how the steam mop works on your blog. I want to know, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.